Note to New Members ×

heard it in the lift line 2013-14

theboarderdude

I'm surprised there isn't one of these threads yet this year.

Several "oh, that's a ski board isn't it" today. Anybody know what a skiboard is?

I heard one father explaining to his son behind me In the lift line that the reason my board(brand new donek rev 170) had a curved side so I can turn harder. I didn't fee l like explaining everything at that point so I just turned around and said "yeah."

Now lets hear those stories!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some guy as I'm walking to my car:"hey look it's that monoskier!"

Me: :freak3: "No actually it is a snowboard, not a monoski. It's called alpine snowboarding"

He then began to go on this long talk about how expensive his snowboard is (just your typical freestyle board) :rolleyes:

Man I really hate those monoski comments...

Riding the Gondola up Whistler - taking two snowboards up with me, both all Mountain type -- a Prior 4x4 174 and a Coiler 169 VSR AM, both with TD 3s.

One of the guys in the cabin asks me "Why do you have two different Boot positions?"

Edited by C5 Golfer

That's exactly what they are... Usually in the 100-120cm range... The bindings are similar to what we use... They are non-breakaway...

They have a much maligned history , however I remain firm with a policy of it is sliding on snow and that is allot of fun.

I have used them for access to the ski lifts etc when snow conditions are really bad at the base. Timberline , summer , as an example. I have had a number of different versions. Salomon "Snow Blades" , Line, etc.

Not to mention some of the bindings have parts similar to bomber alpine parts. Evidently there are more releasable bindings being used today. Bomber has a sweet "TD3" looking version too. There is also a brand that appears to be made by Catek. So we are at least tied by some of the manufacturers of the bindings.

Question. Any good ideas for other alternative uses? I know Don uses them on some of his Mono skis. Possibly Skwal , however, they don't allow allow for changing the angles.

I have a pair for sale if anyone is interested contact me.

post-198-141842403411_thumb.jpg

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

I get a kick out of those that argue about my alpine gear and it's classification.

So , like earlier posts, when I answer it is an alpine snowboard. Some will actually say "NO, it is a blankityblank" pretty funny. If they are correcting me to their child or wife/gf, I just let it go. What does it hurt to let the small bit of ignorance continue. People are funny :)

a little unrelated esp. since we're both on skis...

end of day with my 4 yr old son

"Daddy, I want to go up again"

"But Connor, they've shut the lifts off for the day"

"But Daddy, the hills are still there..."

can i love the little guy any more...?

Sounds like the heart of a "earn your turns" kind of guy!

From the mouth of babes.

Should have a "Cute Alert" on this one :)

One I'm still trying to figure out a smart response to (I can do sarky, but that's not what I want here):

"Nice style for a hardbooter"

Phil, my guess is it was not meant as a derogatory statement, I would guess what they might have said had they taken time to think about it would be "You have an amazing amount of flow and fluidity for someone riding hardboots, you look as though you are surfing soft boots".

Just a guess.

They have a much maligned history

"Ankle Snappers"

The main problem with them, apart from the enormous number of injuries with non-release bindings, is the illusion of ease. So you find users who are absolutely out of control on slopes they wouldn't have dreamt of going near if they were on skis.

Case in point - /today/ at work, one helicopter evac on my lift, 9 year old who was hit from behind / uphill by a totally out of control "skiboarder". Day one on the slopes, first time on skiboards or any other snow sliding implement, second run, *black slope*. Skiboarder OK, concussion, broken femur, tib & fib and a free helicopter ride for a kid who's been skiing for years.

That said, might be interested in your binders, for skwal use. Shipping will probably be prohibitive, though, I'm in communist frenchystan.

... I would guess what they might have said had they taken time to think about it would be "... you look as though you are surfing soft boots".

I think you're right - so it's meant as a positive, but it's slightly derogatory about hard boots in general.

I sort of want to say something like "you can ride stiffly in any boots, it's not about the boots", only it needs to be funny too.

So you find users who are absolutely out of control on slopes ...Day one on the slopes, first time on skiboards or any other snow sliding implement, second run, *black slope*

I'm pretty sure this has way more to do with "day one" ignorance then the snow sliding equipment strapped to the riders feet. First day riders getting in way over their heads happens every day at every ski resort. It's also the basis for at least one scene in every snow or ski related comedy (which is not to comment on the kid getting hurt in your story- that's terrible).

I'm pretty sure this has way more to do with "day one" ignorance then the snow sliding equipment strapped to the riders feet. First day riders getting in way over their heads happens every day at every ski resort. It's also the basis for at least one scene in every snow or ski related comedy (which is not to comment on the kid getting hurt in your story- that's terrible).

...and this is why resorts should give new snow sports participants a special lift ticket until they prove their ability to handle their equipment. Beginners are lift/run limited. Once they pass a test they get run of the rest of the mountain. Can you imagine??? I can.

...and this is why resorts should give new snow sports participants a special lift ticket until they prove their ability to handle their equipment. Beginners are lift/run limited. Once they pass a test they get run of the rest of the mountain. Can you imagine??? I can.

A local hill around here actually has a special (cheaper) deal for just the bunny hills. The special pass only allows you to ride chairs that end at green runs. Obviously this requires people to be sensible enough to acknowledge their limitations, but it does keep a lot of the muppets off the better runs - at least until lunch and they have gained some confidence (and I am gone by then!)

Having said that - as someone who likes to try lots of hills, I would find it really annoying, especially on busier days, to have to wait until I am "certified" to run the big hills. Sure, it would be bliss if we could keep newbies away - but everyone has to learn somewhere and you need to push yourself occasionally. What needs to happen is a serious conversation when renting or selling to someone who is obviously a beginner about responsibilities on the hill and seriousness of ending up on runs that are above their skill level.

Having said that - as someone who likes to try lots of hills, I would find it really annoying, especially on busier days, to have to wait until I am "certified" to run the big hills.

Agree. Funny, that's how it was for us boarders up till about '89 or so....many mountains required us to be certified (and pay an extra fee for the privilege:rolleyes:) before we could buy a lift ticket.

As for HIITLL...was at Killington this weekend. Heard some of the usual comments and guesses about what kind of board I was riding, but I got the biggest kick out of the looks of :confused: and :cool: from the riders sitting in the snow strapping in as I effortlessly clicked into my new SW SI's and glided away :biggthump.

Nothing new yet this year...

What kind of board is that?

Why'd you cut the tail off your board?

Sick board, bro. (Thanks, but I hate being called bro; I'm not your brother or a brother)

Why's it so long? (In reference to my Coiler 196 or Kessler 185)

Where's your other ski?

What kind of bindings are those?

Why ski boots?

Can you ride in powder?

Wanna race?

Is it fast?

My knees hurt just looking at those angles.

I really enjoyed watching you on that thing.

Why's the nose so flat? (I hear this a lot when on one of my Kesslers)