Note to New Members ×

Snowboarding's declining popularity

nekdut

JohnE said "... , if skiers have an appreciation for what we are doing, they probably need to be less than 40 or so to risk some body slamming."

From a client/newbie perspective...

I took-up snow boarding at 48yo..never done any snow sport before..i went in with the attitude that i'm going to fall and it may hurt..that's still my attitude.

I had no choice but to do the duck thing on softies..knew no better...that was on offer, nothing else. First day had lessons. progressed on my own. Took a couple free style lessons..started doing easy rails, small kickers(the idea behind this was to improve balance, orientation so I could be better, react better on the unexpectde mountain conditions)...just as I started to get hang of it..got alpine set-up, and moved angles on softies to forward positions... Just started my 4th season snowboarding.my aim is to carve and ec carve.

Absolutely, no one could put me off my goals...some have tried but I ignore them and leave them to whinge about their back problems etc :)

I really have had the best fun ever...so glad I found snowboarding:D

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JohnE said "... , if skiers have an appreciation for what we are doing, they probably need to be less than 40 or so to risk some body slamming."

From a client/newbie perspective...

I took-up snow boarding at 48yo..never done any snow sport before..i went in with the attitude that i'm going to fall and it may hurt..that's still my attitude.

I had no choice but to do the duck thing on softies..knew no better...that was on offer, nothing else. First day had lessons. progressed on my own. Took a couple free style lessons..started doing easy rails, small kickers(the idea behind this was to improve balance, orientation so I could be better, react better on the unexpectde mountain conditions)...just as I started to get hang of it..got alpine set-up, and moved angles on softies to forward positions... Just started my 4th season snowboarding.my aim is to carve and ec carve.

Absolutely, no one could put me off my goals...some have tried but I ignore them and leave them to whinge about their back problems etc :)

I really have had the best fun ever...so glad I found snowboarding:D

That's awesome! So glad you found us here and have that goal to work for! I only hope all the others out there are able to find the other options that are available! How did you manage to get your first alpine setup?

Soft boot carvers: as previously mentioned, good riders can carve irrespective of footwear. The best ambassadors for riding on the edges may be those good soft boot riders, not the people here. To the rest of the world hardbooters are now something separate, a different thing.

Comments on competitive freestyle are interesting. Before snowboard ballet, they had the half-pipe, which was the same in that respect. Which is why all the washed-up professionals can carve as well as anyone here I guess, even in Flows. The fashion for ballet too will pass... unless they switch to women athletes wearing Lycra.

I like the idea of street-snowboarding, which to me is a logical progression from skate-snowboarding/ ballet. It's not all that punk, in that you will find heli-boarders doing it on down days. Those street kids aren't counted in the statistics for snow resorts.

Exactly. I guess it is "punk rock" for some, not others these days. For the kids who can't afford a lift ticket, it certainly is similar still. However, just as punk used to be "underground" prior to going mainstream, I would think the same about street snowboarding. Love your use of "ballet", that is exactly what most tricks look like these days.

I think most of us are trying to promote carving - not just snowboarding. The last time I was in REI I looked at the board they offered and I couldn't find one that had camber. I think the mainstream board manufacturers are steering the herd away from us.

I think the key to get more people carving is to have them appreciate it in the first place. The barriers to trying it out can seem huge (hard-to-find and expensive equipment). Softboot Sailor carves beautifully in soft boots. Every year at SES I see him from a distance and it is not until we get up close that I realize that he is on an older (cambered) Burton Supermodel and soft boots. It's all about an appreciation for the carve and a willingness to give it a try.

Which is why all the washed-up professionals can carve as well as anyone here I guess
I think the current pro half-pipers can carve pretty well too. They hold a strong edge across an icy pipe in order to maintain speed and thus height. Not only that but they lock into that edge after doing some insane trick 20 feet out. I have all the respect in the world for their skill.

The best ambassadors for riding on the edges may be those good soft boot riders, not the people here. ...

No doubt, a beautiful carve in soft boots is a sales pitch that cannot be ignored. When you hear the screams of encouragement off a 6 pack lift, when you look up and see six skiers with their poles high in the air in approval you know "they all wish they could do that". You give them a humble thumbs up and continue on. Its a great feeling to know that they will be talking tonight over beers.

Snowboarding is not going anywhere. It bounced off the top, its saturation point reached, it will fall a few points and then stay where it is. Soft booting here to stay. Hard booting is here to stay too at its present niche participation levels (unless they develop releasable bindings and I don't have to worry about snapping both my tibs when I take a high speed tumble).

Skiing, will always be:

1. the better tool than a snowboard for most everything except deep pow and truly great layout carves.

2. will always be colder than snowboarding

3. will always be more far more tiring than soft booting, but less tiring than hardbooting (ie; the 1/4 day lift ticket is your best option).

4. will always be like bringing a gun to a knife fight. Too much power. It overwhelms most mountains. As a result most all ski areas $uck. You have to travel far, $$$$, and you have to find that big, mogul, double black slope or you just stay home and watch skiing on TV.

I can entertain myself on any bunny hill around. In fact it just as tiring as any big mountain slope. Its all about the G's in the turn.

Back to my KTM with the global warming thing killing southern NY for the nth seaon in a row now.

You guys have a good season !

Edited by sic t 2

When I skateboard I have a larger "old" school deck style (Beer city), larger original Indy trucks and big honkin, slightly soft wheels. When I go to the skatepark usually I only push off to start and I stop when I'm tired of the run. Compare that to modern equipment narrow deck, tiny trucks and thimbles made of rocks for wheels. Most of the time they can't even link two features with out pushing forget a "carved" turn.

When I surfboard in anything less than head high conditions I usually break out a high performance longboard... speed, glide and big turns. Compare that to the modern thruster... I'll only ride one of those behind a power boat. Kids get up late, pump their a$$3$ off and get an off the top, done.

I see snowboarding equipment stacking up the same way. You can see similar trends in kiteboarding and other board sports.

Hard booting is here to stay too at its present niche participation levels (unless they develop releasable bindings and I don't have to worry about snapping both my tibs when I take a high speed tumble).

this is subjective, right? how is one any more likely to break fibs and tibs in hardboots than in a soft set up? (in the event of a high speed tumble, as you suggest.) i'd be unenthused to have a big gs board with catek os1's suddenly unaccounted for should i take a high speed tumble (with or w/o a leash).

I can't believe anyone thinks a releasable snowboard binding is good idea. I can't remember the name but somebody made one around '90 or so, it didn't last long. Getting beat up by skis on a leash when I was a kid wasn't fun; a 15# gs board with sharp edges tumbling on a leash?:eek:

Bindings with a dual release interlock for variable stances and retractable brake is a ridiculously bulky engineering nightmare.:smashfrea

When I crash I want my board firmly attached to both feet where it's least likely to hit my head, my nuts or slice my arm.

Edited by b0ardski

Kinpa,

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.

I had joined the Extremecarving site, and one member contacted another in the UK and just happened to have a board and bindings for sale. I also got advice on where to purchase boots. People have been very helpful :)

Today I took my first proper fall in hard boots...gee the impact went straight to my stomach with that instant sick feeling, bounced back of my head off snow and my back foot came out of the binding...interesting comments very recently posted here about that. Anyway, I sat for 5 minutes before I dared move.

:D

Hope you're OK after that fall! If your foot came out of the binding, something is wrong. You should check to make sure your binding is properly adjusted for length. If you are using conventional (toe-clip) bindings, make good and sure everytime you clip in that the heel bail is properly seated.

Today I took my first proper fall in hard boots...gee the impact went straight to my stomach with that instant sick feeling, bounced back of my head off snow and my back foot came out of the binding...interesting comments very recently posted here about that. Anyway, I sat for 5 minutes before I dared move.

:D

Did it sound something like:

"THWAPP!"

Hope the sore goes away soon.:biggthump

Hope you're OK after that fall! If your foot came out of the binding, something is wrong. You should check to make sure your binding is properly adjusted for length. If you are using conventional (toe-clip) bindings, make good and sure everytime you clip in that the heel bail is properly seated.

Thanks NeilG, didn't think about the length, they are step-INS. I've fallen before and the bindings were still attached but today was one of those rare falls on hard pack.

yesterday I banged my forehead, I wear my helmet right down to eye brow level..thank goodness..but it was on crusty top snow off piste..I have had a darn 2 days of it.

Anyway to keep on topic I haven't been put off:rolleyes:

Dingbat, it probably did sound like that but my mind went blank...I blame it on carving..I hot locked in a toeside carve at speed (for me) heading towards a dilapidated wooden fence, that had parts beckoning me for impalement...I freaked out..then my mind went blank..haha

This used to happen on heel side but i'm so much better(tons room for improvement tho) that I don't get locked in:freak3:

Edited by floBoot

Skiing, will always be:

1. the better tool than a snowboard for most everything except deep pow and truly great layout carves.

3. will always be more far more tiring than soft booting, but less tiring than hardbooting (ie; the 1/4 day lift ticket is your best option).

4. will always be like bringing a gun to a knife fight. Too much power. It overwhelms most mountains. As a result most all ski areas $uck. You have to travel far, $$$$, and you have to find that big, mogul, double black slope or you just stay home and watch skiing on TV.

1. Snowboarding will beat skiing in deep pow. But I think you need a man's board to do that, not these kids boards the mainstream brands are building.

2. True

3. Skiing is not nearly as tiring as snowboarding of either kind for me.

4. Kind of true, but short skis help the fun on a small hill. but puts more stress on my knees.

Skiing, will always be:

!

1) Agreed

2) ?

3) I skied for 20 - 30 years before I picked up boarding (soft & hard boots). I think one can work it hard or take it easy regardless of what kind of plank one is on. I agree that hardbooting done correctly is more tiring than skiing or softbooting.

4) ?

I also skied for almost 30 years before taking up snowboarding seriously...

For performance riding, I would rank like this (hardest first): Soft booting > Skiing > Hard booting, in terms of how physicaly demanding it is for me.

If I was to go and just la-la-la on the slope, I'd say: Snowboard > Ski

While chatting with various people today, I had the revelation that each one of us are the ambassadors that will bring tomorrow's carver's into the fold. I answered many questions, and had ~70% of the people I chatted with say that they'd like to try Alpine someday. Granted, I'm sure the adoption rate is low but as least we're putting the spark in someone's head that may try it in the future.

Ride lots, have fun, share your enthusiasm with others.

I can entertain myself on any bunny hill around. In fact it just as tiring as any big mountain slope. Its all about the G's in the turn.

Back to my KTM with the global warming thing killing southern NY for the nth seaon in a row now.

You guys have a good season !

If you can entertain yourself on a bunny hill, you are aren't trying hard enough, let alone getting g's in a turn.