Heard it in the Lift Line 2012/13

kieran

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kind of far from the lift line... but is that a monoski? Yes... crazy taper, almost looks like a dual sidecut 13M-50M or something crazy like that. Neat though. Really stiff in the middle to the back and floppy up front.

Pretty girl is 5-month pregnant wife whose doctor couldn't quite visualize a ski lift nevermind skiing this year.

post-9812-141842379893_thumb.jpg

Adding to the normal confusion, my Tinkler "TNT" collects some comments such as these;

"I have a split board too, but it doesn't look like yours"

"I think splittys are the sh!t!, are you headed for the bc?"

The Tinkler TNT snowboards are split at both the tip and tail , however it doesn't travel all the way down the board.

Now add an asymmetrical Bomber Boiler plate heavily modified and four snow stix. YOU THINK you get questions? :)

as I pull into the #3 chair on Aspen Mt. the Liftie says... "Yea, You Ride the Frozen Wave, just like the guy on the Cold Surf sticker" :eek::biggthump

but of course, I use the Pseudomorph Style of Snowboarding

I like that, next time someone asks "what do you cal that?" I'm gonna tell them psuedomorph! covers all my quirks nicely.

Edited by b0ardski

I had to laugh as I heard this one again...

Me: These are snowboard boots.

Skier: Are you sure?

All humor aside, is anybody getting tired of the barrage of questions? I'm thinking I need to learn a few phrases in Russian so people will leave me alone.

Edited by heroshmero

I'm thinking I need to learn a few phrases in Russian so people will leave me alone.

"Ya nye ponyeemayo Anglesky." ^:D

Non-alpine related: "On Hutch (a short steep black) some snowboarder went sideways and it's now a strip of ice...", by a fatso, oldish female two-planker.

Behinde me, in soft voice to another: "It's an alpine snowboard." - some people know!

All humor aside, is anybody getting tired of the barrage of questions? I'm thinking I need to learn a few phrases in Russian so people will leave me alone.

I only get pleasant sensible questions, and quite a lot of people know precisely what I'm riding. Maybe I just naturally discourage the idiots, or maybe not.

The other week at Hemlock in BC a chap on the chair told me politely how one of his mates had "one of those boards, only bigger". I laughed and said that most North Americans like big things. He said that he was trying to persuade his mate to give it up, as they're rubbish in powder, and that's what they mostly ride. I laughed, wished him a nice day, then ripped the **** out of the fresh on the hill. Well it's only resort powder - not the real thing - so a slalom board is as good as anything else ;-)

I only get pleasant sensible questions, and quite a lot of people know precisely what I'm riding. Maybe I just naturally discourage the idiots, or maybe not.

People are nice enough. I think it's that Americans are so damn clueless about hardbooting.

I get lots of...

What is that?

Are those ski boots?

Is that hard?

Are those bindings easier than snowboard bindings?

etc

etc

I'm sure it doesn't help that at Hoodoo, the local hill where I ride the most, I'm the only hardbooter besides my wife (and she only puts in a third of the days that I do).

Most of the time I am a good ambassador for carving and chat with them but sometimes I just want to ride and not answer the same questions over and over.

Time to start handing out the "this is hardbooting" cards.

I've only been hard booting now a short while, bout a year or so... but I managed to garner a few strange looks and comments on my board... however... for those wanting the questions to stop... For christmas this year I received 2 saw blade style rubber mohawks... stuck them to my helmet splitting center (cuz i have a switch for opening and closing vents on the helmet there). now people look at me and the board, smile, and say "nice helmet man!". Also has the side effect of making me VERY easy to find on the mountain. lol I kinda miss the questions already but the mohawks are just funny and fun. :)

From a hardbooter at Mammoth who passed me, I tried to keep up and failed. We rode the chair up. I was riding my vintage 1999 Burton Supermodel in softies.

Him: "You carve pretty decent in that setup."

Me: "Thanks, I was trying to follow your lines after you flew by me, but you know, I'm at a disadvantage."

Him: "Have you ever thought of getting into an Alpine setup?"

Me: "Yep, every time I get off the lift I think if why I left it at home this weekend."

Him: "Haha, next time bring it!"

Then some small talk about gear.

The best part was a little free advise on reducing my high back angle on the front to stop twisting the board longitudinally on my heel-side carves and squatting down a bit more to help absorb the chatter from a soft, old, cap construction, glass board.

Thanks anonymous carver.

While carving under the chair at Schweitzer last week at N.I.C.E., I heard a girl on the lift say: "Look, everybody's doing that now!...What is it?"

("Everybody" wasn't strictly accurate, but 10 carvers loading the chair an hour before the general public can make a pretty big impression :ices_ange)

I was in the singles line at the local hill the other day when I heard, "Alpine guy, hey alpine guy!" I thought, "well, at least he got it right", and turned around to see a ski instructor with four very young students in tow. "Like herding cats, eh?", I said to him. With a harried look on his face he asked me if I would mind taking a couple of the kids up the lift with me. I said sure, and then he says, "Please don't tell them that what you're doing is way cooler, I don't want to lose my clientele".

in chair:

Jibber: "What's that?" pointing at my board

Me: "It's an alpine snowboard"

Jibber: "Huh?".

Me: "Yes, alpine, or carve board, race board, ..."

Jibber still confused.

After *almost* convincing him it's a snowboard,

Jibber: "What do you do with that?"

Me: "I carve, I turn on my edges without skiding making nice single arcs"

Jibber: "That's boring!"

oh well, I guess I won't be able to convert that one. He even asked how I got my snowboard modified.:freak3:

Next chair up:

Skier: "Wow, I saw you coming down, that was some nice carving. That's snowboarding!"

Some know, others are just clueless.

Last week, while clipping into Coiler 177, at the top of the Eagle Chair, where park goes to the left, and JJA carving run to the right, I heard a smiling voice calling: "Boris, are you going to the park?". Looked up to see Andrew, our chief staff trainer and park setter. Sure I did - hit the biggest kicker thay had set at that time. Next lap I stopped to high-five him, for the super-smooth landing ramp he constructed.