Note to New Members ×

Ever tried to convince someone NOT to straightline?

SWriverstone

sometimes I feel like I`m running a figure 8 car race... it`s juste a matter of time before the S hits the fan!

I was injured last year but a skier coming from my blind side. I take a lot more my time to make sure I have open space before I go and check more often uphill. it's part of the sport.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year, an old couple ask me once to stop "turning" all the times and to go in straight line. I looked at their skis, brand new super ultra parabolic skis... and they were skiing in straight lines.

People doesn't know that the alpine gear has changed and why.

A couple of years ago at a Tahoe area resort, 5 of us were told by ski patrol that people were complaining. Not about the trenches. We were told that we could not go side to side on the runs anymore. :eek: I figured we must have held up someone important at the resort.

We ignored patrol completely and they never said anything else.

straight liner... death bombers....welcome to southern carving.... I keep my head on a pivot

My def of a straight liner... race "tuck", poles up like antlers, jacket half unzipped and flapping... and no frikin chance of being able to make an evasive maneuver

oh man, so funny, absolutely true. Nothing to add to this.

yeah, when the ski's start flapping and they are in the backseat it's great to watch from the chairlift.....that happens a lot out East...I saw someone once straight-line one of the steep ones all the way, overshooting the ski run and past the lift station....

I never tried to talk anyone out of it, I'm probably an offender myself.

Im in the market for a bright jacket with a yield sign that says "to me" under the sign.

Bombing is ok as long as you are in control and yield to people downhill. I you have to stop, then stop.

I know that i take up real estate and that it bothers people who take a straighter line. I make every attempt to wait for a clear slope so i can focus on my form. sometimes im waiting awhile.

Last week im merging onto a trail and come to a stop to wait for a family. well, these 10 kids are doing pizza 20' apart slow as hell down the middle of the trail, and 4 or 5 adults are skidding on both sides of a pretty wide trail. Then they all stop all over the trail so if i were to go i would have to weave in and out of them, and you know if they start downhill again, the kids wont look first. It's like playing minesweeper on hard.

These people just took up the whole trail without any worry for anyone not in the group. they were downhill, but its a good idea to be considerate and understand we all share the hill. You just need to be alert, the US will never be a carve happy ski area.

Lots of them everywhere you go. I wait for breaks in the crowds. If it is too crowded on blues, we have some nice black groomed runs that no one straight lines down. Can carve here but it is a lot harder since they are so steep. Only people going faster on these runs are skiers doing GS type turns. These skiers know what they are doing and won't crash into you from behind. Unfortunately in the Mid Atlantic region, you don't have many if any runs that would fit into this catagory. If someone does clobber you from behind report them to ski patrol as they are breaking the law. Hopefully they will at least pull their pass for the day.

Spikes: http://duplaga.blogspot.com/2010/12/leather-jacket-x-spikes.html

But not as dense as shown there.

They really need to be spaced further apart to get proper penetration.

Shoulders, upper arms, a couple rows down your back, and you're good to go.

Next time someone hits you from behind, the trail of blood will serve as a warning to others.

ha, I actually had an old guy yell at me from behind to "get out of the way!" These people think that once you carve away from them that you are not coming back.

Remeber last year when I saw you at the Loaf and that lady chased you all the way down to the double runner lift. I thought she wanted your number:1luvu:

So what did you say or do to the guy that told you to get out of the way?

well for me it is the soft booters going straight, kicking out the back foot to knock speed. But that's probably cause they out number the skiers, where I ride most of the time.

But it is hard for them, when we are going so fast but not making our way downhill very fast.

It happens out west. I see it every year. Yes from boarders and skiers. My definition is not the same as yours. I think the ability of the rider/skier has a lot to do with it. We just have to try to deal with it. Do are best to protect each other and ourselves.

The other option is board in FOG/ CLOUDS that will slow them down or send them to the trees. WTF 2011 home of no straight-liner's:biggthump

Im in the market for a bright jacket with a yield sign that says "to me" under the sign.

Now THAT is freaking BRILLIANT!!! :lol:

I'm not joking---I'm gonna start looking around for someone who can print that on some blank hi-viz yellow vests. I might get in touch with Cafepress, see if they could do it (or someone online so we could all buy one).

Seriously. I wouldn't hesitate to wear a vest like that while carving. Would it do any good? It probably wouldn't stop the straightliners from crashing into you...but it would at least make a statement on the hill to all who see it!

Scott

I really think there needs to be another item added to the skier responsibility code. "Watch for skiers, and boarders carving turns in front of you, and only pass with caution". This problem now is affecting skiers as well, as more and more skiers are carving like we do.

edit, well almost like we do ;)

I couldn't care less if people are "slaloming" back and forth within that 6-8 foot path...if their path is that narrow, they're straightlining!

Taking a tight turn zipperline down the fall line is not straightlining... It used to be how every advanced skier skied before the shaped skis. With carving shapes coming into the picture, everyone started liking slightly longer turns. Yet, it takes lot of skill (and energy) to do a good zipline. If you can pull it off, you are more then likelly to be in controll, so of no danger to people below you. Even when sketchy while doing this, skiers are still more or less in controll. The problem is really with the snowboarders, especially on the harder snow and steeper runs. The wannabe rippers go uber fast down the fall line, just swinging the board (or kicking the tail) slightly, while having 0 chances of stopping or even changing the course more then 5 degrees...

I get taken out from behind almost every year, mostly on the green runs. I don't want even to start immagining what it would look like if someone straightlined me on a black...

It's certainly not a East Coast thing. There are too many of them at Mt Shasta. I think "straight liner" and "in control" in the same sentence is an oxymoron. To me being in control would mean that if someone does something unexpected in front of you, you would have a reasonable chance of avoiding them. When a wannabe racer is going 60 mph+, there isn't much wiggle room. I'll stop, look up the run and seeing no threats, start down hill. I've found that if I try to make more than 3 turns without stopping and repeating the procedure, I'm asking for trouble. That's how long it takes for one of them to come from out of sight and overtake me. The last time I was up, there was hardly anyone on the mountain and after seeing no one on the run above me, I made a couple of extra turns. I thought, this is too much fun and I'm pressing my luck. I stopped at the end of a toe side turn and, just as I did, a kid went flying by right where I would have been in my heel side turn. They might have as much right to do there thing as I do mine but, after being hit from behind too many times, don't tell me they're "in control".

In my 24 years of snowboarding I have been only hit twice. Once was a college roommate who thought I fell in a heelside carve, he had no idea what carving is nor how we can change direction in a split second. The other was an out of control teenager at Wachusett.

Let's face it we are in the minority on the slopes. 99% of the skiers and snowboards out there will have no idea what our carving path down the trail is. For that reason I am constantly checking for skiers/boarders up hill from me.

I never jump into a trail if there is a group of skiers below that I know I will catch up to or skiers up hill that will catch up to me. If I'm in a hard carve and sense or see someone up hill from me that is close I will blow out of the carve to avoid any close contact.

We are the unique riders on the slopes and I am fully aware of it and take precautions to avoid collisions. I don't blame the skiers/boarders for hitting me, they have no idea what our path down the trail is.

There are of course risks to just about any sport you do, beware of them and take the necessary steps to avoid them.

I ride a motorcycle and take the same precautions on my bike as I do on a snowboard. I'm constantly scanning the trails for possible collisions.

If you jump onto a trail without scanning for skiers first or have no knowledge of your surroundings and get hit it is most likely your own fault.