Note to New Members ×

What isn't a carving board ?

lowrider

Where have all the carving boards gone ? New deck's seems to be 170ish something, rockered or decambered . More than 19cm wide,assym core,ugly top sheets and easy to ride. Sounds like what happened to skis! And now you put a plate on it to make it easier! First tracks Saturday dust off the 186.

no real carving boards are fully rockered. there was a custom built like that a couple years ago which was "discussed" here :ices_ange, but afaik we never heard a positive follow-up report on it.

loving my 21cm wide Coiler Stubby and 20cm wide NSR though. those have nose+tail decamber.

what else isn't a carving board? powder boards, and, well, to make a long list short, basically anything with avg sidecut less than 9m or anything that will fold when carved on anything steeper than a green. unless it's a kiddie carving board.

Trolling a bit, aren't we? With a bit of melt down going on our hills right now, I'll play...

I'd say the carving status of the board is achieved by the user. Anything with sidecut and flex will carve.

Powder boadrs? Many of them carve way better then majority of FS/FR sticks offered to masses. Dupraz, both Dynastars, Steepwater, Tanker, come to mind...

9m rule? Not so much. Lot's of older slalom boards are somwhere there.

Twin tip? What does it matter? Ace's Himera was twin tip and an ultimate carving machine.

Full rocker? I have my doubts about it, but I guess it still can carve.

Deffinition of "real" carving board is very hard to come up with. One could even argue that modern race boards are not real carving boads, as they were designed to drift turns really well too, and to be able to carve a shape different to our bellowed "C". Yet we know they carve awsome.

This reminds me of the time this English-major friend of mine said "attitudinal" in conversation. I said that's not a word, right? He said "well... I just said it, it's a sound that came out of my mouth, and you knew what I meant by it." :D

That sums up the American English language very well ;) Since Webster, it's been downhill all the way.

That sums up the American English language very well ;) Since Webster, it's been downhill all the way.

Well yes and no. American English preserves some very good English from before the language was affected quite so much by the French.

I always enjoy language mavens though: the best example of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing that I've come across. Punctuation, on the other hand, is a different kettle of fish.

What was the question again? Oh, carving boards. Personally, I think carving's just what you do when you turn: it's no big deal. I know it's a shame some people can't do it, but you can do it on pretty much any board this side of a car windscreen if you must. Snowboarding's the thing... don't let the skate kids take our word away to leave us with something you do with your Sunday lunch.

9m rule? Not so much. Lot's of older slalom boards are somwhere there.

Twin tip? What does it matter? Ace's Himera was twin tip and an ultimate carving machine.

I said twin tip and <9m. Existing boards that fit that description are generally not carving boards. I've edited my response though. Twin tip obviously has nothing to do with it.

Deffinition of "real" carving board is very hard to come up with

This is what reminded me of the "attitudinal" story. We could debate this all day, just like you could debate "what is a word?". Just because you can utter it and convey some meaning does not make it a word, and just because it <i>can</i> be carved does not necessarily make it a carving board. I can carve my 1997 Burton Custom 164, is that a carving board? Let's not be silly.

quick google search

Carved turn

(Sport: Skiing)

Definition

Occurs when a skier(or snowboarder in our case) turns and the whole edge of the ski passes through a single groove in the snow.

that's what it's meant to me for the last 27 years of ski bumming, but my definition of hardpack might be different than some of you guys.

The newer boards seem to be getting shorter and wider. Is there a point where they get too short. Getting a good day to ride longer boards is becomming more difficult. You almost need someone to ride shotgun to keep it safe. Linking turn after turn almost requires that you overtake most people on the hill for fear of being ambushed from behind. Was just wondering if longer boards are just getting to be a liability and shorter boards are slowly taking over.

Carved turn

(Sport: Skiing)

Definition

Occurs when a skier(or snowboarder in our case) turns and the whole edge of the ski passes through a single groove in the snow.

Nevermind the unwashed masses, there are a significant number of people riding snowboards with hardboots who do not know this.

If the nose folds it ain't a carving board

If the plate bindings rip out on the first turn it ain't a carving board

If it ain't stable at speed it ain't a carving board

Yep. Most every board can carve, on some level, but that does not make them carving boards. Just like most boards can be taken in the park or ridden in power but that does not make them jib or powder boards.

If it isn't designed to be a carving board, it might carve, but it is probably not a carving board.

The newer boards seem to be getting shorter and wider. Is there a point where they get too short. Getting a good day to ride longer boards is becomming more difficult. You almost need someone to ride shotgun to keep it safe. Linking turn after turn almost requires that you overtake most people on the hill for fear of being ambushed from behind. Was just wondering if longer boards are just getting to be a liability and shorter boards are slowly taking over.

Many of the new boards don't have shorter effective edges, just shorter noses. For instance, I have an old-school 168 and a new-school 175. The difference in length is only 7cm but the difference where the boards see snow is about twice that. Guess that would make my new-school board equivalent to a 182 old-school board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KIfgDSYPqw

Rossignol Judge 168 (2005) powderboard with split tail.

Union force DLX 2006 bindings front 45* rear 25-35*

The board rides like a park bench,,, simply horrible.... I wanted to send it back after the first run. I could barely get down the hill without my ankles screaming.

Then I adapted to it.

In my downgrade wish list. In order of increasing crappiness.

Hooger Booger

Burton Safari

Sims 1710 Blade

K2 Gyrator

Avalanche Alpine with plates

1984 Sims Fe pro 1600 (or Flite similar vintage)

Burton Elite 150

Barfoot Pre-1983

Prop Snowplane (the King of turds and I want a regular footed one even though I am goofy)

I love looking forward to the next worse piece of junk..

You guys seem to look forward to new technology.. I want crappier tech and force it to work..

Then when I jump on good stuff... I feel like Superman.