Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the lift line 10-11

Snowman

My wife overheard a group of ~50 year old skiers at the hotel breakfast during SES:

"Skiing is hard. I'm going to switch to snowboarding. It looks much easier - they only have one board to control so it must be 1/2 as hard!"

See, I thought the same thing!. I should have stuck to skiing.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I went out Monday afternoon after a 12 inch dump ( a lot for Minnesota) on my Prior Pow-Stick. First time up the lift the liftie said "Hey, thats a really nice old board". I responded that it was only from last season and he said "yeah, but it's got that cut out of the tail just like an old school board and I haven't seen hard plates for a long time". Each time through the line we had a good chat about boards.

Had an amazing day at Marmot Basin on the weekend. I was running down Paradise (a blue) and carving nicely on pretty much hero conditions under blue skies. And unlike what seems like the rest of this year I wasn't sucking at all.

I pulled up to stop near a snow fence to catch my breath and this guy on a K2 Fat Bob looks down at my feet and says "How do you snowboard in those boots at those angles?" to which I replied "Fast and in control."

I then dropped down a short choppy section to build some speed and did a couple of low carves and popped a 180 off of a slope transition. Once I stopped again I told him to go look up Bomber Online.

Great day.

Dave

During yesterday's mini SES at our local hill Cypress Mountain, a female soft booter pulled me aside as I was about to get into the liftline and asked me,

"How do you guys and gals make such fast and flowing turns?"

I answered,"We just practice going fast and falling down a lot, and eventually we start to get better..."

She then took at long look at all of the alpine decks on our feet and exclaimed, "Why, all of your boards look like stilletos!"

Hmmmm - stilleto snowboading, it has a certain ring to it....

Geo

Not really a lift line comment, but I found this to be hilarious.

Mike, a fellow carver, and myself decided to switch boards.He had a Coiler Pure Carve board, and I had my Coiler VSR.

Mike was installing his binding on my VSR using the same holes that he used on his Pure Carve, since the inserts were pretty much the same. He kept on saying "Hmm.. this is not going to work.. the binding is way to forward".

I was too concentrated on installing my bindings on his board and not really paying attention. As I finally turned my head to look at what he was doing, he stepped back, looked at the board.. and said...

"Oh sh*t, that is not the nose, it's the tail!" :lol:. He put his front binding at the back of the board towards the tail.. We both laughed hard, and then had a great day, with his bindings properly installed of course! :D

So, last weekend for me was apparently the "ask the carver about his gear" day. Aside from the many questions about the boots being ski boots I had these funny interactions.

-----

Liftie: That is a skinny board!

-----

Kid: Those are some weird bindings.

-----

Guy on snowboard: Is that a downhill board?

Me: Well, you'd call it a carving board or alpine board.

Guy: Can I take a look at it?

Me: Yeah, sure.

Guy: So, its like a ski.

Me: No, its a snowboard.

Guy: Are you sure?

Me: Yes, I'm sure.

-----

Man with Kid: Is that easier than regular snowboarding?

Me: No.

-----

Teenager: That board is sick!

-----

So, last weekend for me was apparently the "ask the carver about his gear" day. Aside from the many questions about the boots being ski boots I had these funny interactions.

-----

Liftie: That is a skinny board!

-----

Kid: Those are some weird bindings.

-----

Guy on snowboard: Is that a downhill board?

Me: Well, you'd call it a carving board or alpine board.

Guy: Can I take a look at it?

Me: Yeah, sure.

Guy: So, its like a ski.

Me: No, its a snowboard.

Guy: Are you sure?

Me: Yes, I'm sure.

-----

Man with Kid: Is that easier than regular snowboarding?

Me: No.

-----

Teenager: That board is sick!

-----

Love the "Are you sure?" Classic.

Well I decided to try out the new knee again at Spirit Mt. in Duluth. I was asked to give a lesson to a long time snowboarder who wanted to try carving. We have a new member.

Anyway I decided to cope by pulling the releases on the Intecs and walking through the line till the chair and then (I'm regular foot-the one with the new knee) stepping into the front binding with my rear foot. Ski patrol is watching me and says, "Isn't there something wrong here?" I just said "yeah new knee", and I just got a big smile, a nod of the head, and thumbs up.

Well I decided to try out the new knee again at Spirit Mt. in Duluth. I was asked to give a lesson to a long time snowboarder who wanted to try carving. We have a new member.

Anyway I decided to cope by pulling the releases on the Intecs and walking through the line till the chair and then (I'm regular foot-the one with the new knee) stepping into the front binding with my rear foot. Ski patrol is watching me and says, "Isn't there something wrong here?" I just said "yeah new knee", and I just got a big smile, a nod of the head, and thumbs up.

Damn straight!! Doing what you need to do. Respect from the patroller and me.

How did it go?

Today at Loveland with 8" new KarverKai got "sweet little powder board, I didn't know they made them for little kids" while on his virus rookie 99 race board. Then the guys buddy says "that's no powder board, thats a carving board". At least someone knew the difference.

I got "that's an old board" and "I love that board" from different people.

Ink

Damn straight!! Doing what you need to do. Respect from the patroller and me.

How did it go?

Actually it went quite well. By removing my board and walking to the lift line it released all the twisting angles on the knee, and having the board on the other foot on the live it created no strain with the weight of the board.

On the other hand coming off the chair with my back foot in the front binding created some interesting ballet moves that I haven't quite mastered.

not quite in the lift line, but as i was exiting the t-bar release area i hear an instructor with 3 ski pupils say;

"right. follow that guy on the weird snowboard, and see if you can keep up. no overtaking!"

WTF? :biggthump

--

in the lift line;

liftie: "you should probably be long gone by the time the cat driver sees what you've done to his piste! (laughing)

big guy on a sit-ski: "now thats what i need. can you get those with narrower waists?"

I get a lot of "did you snowboard before you got into that?"

<object width="640" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/xjAIy1jdoVs?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/xjAIy1jdoVs?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="510"></embed></object>

So after reading through the "Technique Question - Getting Lower" thread I figured out out to toeside EC this weekend. As such I was throwing them down every time I found a steep enough pitch, wall etc... Super fun and a really cool feeling extending downslope so early in the turn and getting my chest, hips and both arms onto the snow.

Anyways I came into the liftline at Wawa chair, and a guy tells me he saw the "face washer" carves I was laying out.

Dave

Last night,halfway down a trail,I pull a hard C-carve around two guys sitting on hill in soft-boots and proceed a good 40'back up-hill.....one of them raises both arms and hollers"Holy-sh*t!!...I ride downhill,and YOU ride up the hill?Crazy stunts!" Sharp edges kids...shaaarrrrp edges:p

Seatmate (snowboarder): Soooooo, how do you like skiing on a board?

Me: Skiing?

Seatmate (snowboarder): Well, you are obviously skiing on a board.

Me: Well, I'm skiing on a board just like you are skiing on a board. The difference is that I'm using the board's edges as they were designed to be used.

Seatmate (snowboarder): Wuhhh, uhmmmm, how's that?

Me: We both have metal edges on our boards. You use your metal edges as brakes to steer your board. I, on the other hand, use my metal edges as a steering wheel with little or no braking which is what they were designed to do. I let the edges draw a line in the snow. You use your edges as brakes.

Seatmate (snowboarder): So, your board is faster than mine?

Me: No, my board does not possess any magical powers or some super-duper wax formula. Nor do I levitate or possess any powers similar to Criss Angel. I simply allow the board to follow a natural path along the edge of the board. I try to make the tail of the board follow the nose of the board and thus carve a line in the snow instead of skidding my turns.

Seatmate (snowboarder): So, do you like skiing on a board?

Me: Yes.

(Silence for the next 2.35 minutes)

Me: Have a good day!

Mark