Note to New Members ×

Should we offer a Sub-Forum for Softboot Carving?

fin

Should we create a Softboot Carving forum?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Should we create a Softboot Carving forum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Can go either way, not a big deal to me

To re post this 4 year old thread says it all... :freak3: Thanks for the support from my friends here over the years...

Aloha...day 102 here...so see you on the Mountain  :biggthump

Please Delete All my Threads and Post as I do not wish to be associated with this Attitude...Thanks

Edited by softbootsailer

Umm, it has come to my attentions that the intent of this poll and discussion may be misunderstood. And this may be a function of the title of the thread which is my mistake. What is proposed is a "sub-forum" for softboot carving. NOT a totally new website and/or forum for this. It seems some think the question is "should we get these guys out of here?". Quite the opposite, we want to make BOL more welcome for our softboot friends. More welcome than they already are if that is possible. It would basically be a forum located right here in the main area under "General Forums". I have changed the title to help those confused to see this.

What is not seen is the large amount of e-mails I get from softbooters asking if we can make an area for them. A sub-forum where they can talk about the technical aspects of carving and performance riding with softboot gear. It is a legitimate request and they have all been very nice and patient when asking for this. We often do this, look at changing the forum to what is requested. For example. as per a conversation with a few "down under" members we just added "Australia/New Zealand" to the ride board last week. There was enough interest, so we did it. It was not to kick them out of any other forum, but rather give them their own area.

I have to also agree with others here who have said they don't see any strong negative reaction to softbooters being here. Heck, a large portion of our customers and members here I know do both hard and soft. I have actually gotten some very nice e-mails from softbooters who came in and joined and all they could rave about was how welcome they felt and how glad they are they found a forum that is NOT for the average 18 kid. So if anyone thinks they are being picked on or singled out, that is a personal problem and we can't help you with that.

So if your reaction is to write a garndiose announcement of your departure, then we cannot stop you. But I believe the members of this forum would rather see a well written response discussing why you feel this way and maybe a solution you have thought of to address this. Be involved in the discussion. Stomping out the room and slamming the door has never helped any situation in my opinion. And I certainly do not want to bring back the famous "Exit Forums"  :eplus2:

So please vote on this and remember one thing: this is snowboarding, not a political cause, not a sexual orientation cause, and not a them vs us cause. It is just snowboarding.

• Like 1

To re post this 4 year old thread says it all... :freak3: Thanks for the support from my friends here over the years...

Aloha...day 102 here...so see you on the Mountain :biggthump

Please Delete All my Threads and Post as I do not wish to be associated with this Attitude...Thanks

Wow that's unexpected and uncalled for... Stay Bob... we love your stoke and your photos.

From the recent comments it seems that most people want unified forum, anyhow.

I read Fin's original post #1 and his recent clarification. Pretty clear he's asking from a forum-host/customer service perspective, not to open a debate about which is better. I haven't read all the intervening posts (and I don't want to go there), but apparently some folks were offended by the ensuing bashing of various footwear 4 years ago. :boxing_sm

A few years ago I stumbled upon this video from Cliff Ahumada (godfather of the Aspen expression session) commenting on this thread which apparently had turned into a hard vs soft debate, and touched a lot of nerves. :freak3:

https://vimeo.com/10741375

I think a sub-forum makes sense as it seems that there are more softbooters discovering the aesthetics of carving.   :1luvu:  

Sole brothas sub forum :ph34r:

Meanwhile...back to "drinkin' beer at the bottom of Buttermilk and lookin' like somebody".

Edited by bigwavedave

Thanks Dave for stating what I tried in WAY too long a post:

"forum-host/customer service perspective, not to open a debate about which is better"

The point well put. We already invite all forms of foot wear, we are seeing an increase in soft boots joining in, should we start a sub-forum for this? Or is what we have good enough for now? 

No need to take this personally. 

as a "hardboot zealot" that gave up on laces & straps 25 years ago, I think veteran stalwart soft carvers like SBS are needed around here to give guys like me some perspective, it's all about the carve after all for most of us.

I don't mind softy content in the main forum, it's all about the carve after all, I do see how a SUB-forum would give softbooters a place of there own to congregrate, but don't think it's really necessary.

There's a carving veteran at Schwietzer that rides softies everywhere at 45/45, so what, it's not like I'm going to avoid him. If somebody wants to carve duckfoot and wants to discuss technique subtleties maybe they'd want their own thread group. wat evs

Edited by b0ardski

I think as long as the soft booters understand they are on an inferior carving device everything should be fine.

Do we have to pull our pants down when reading softboot threads? Should we say "sick" a lot?

Do we need this? ^ :( 

Edited by BlueB

Do we need this? ^ :( 

No - that's the sort of attitude those of us who use hard boots get from many of those who don't. Take that over to "Easyloungin", where you'll get a run for your money. Here it just looks childish and lame. And out of date: if you're going to be rude about fashion then you need to keep up with it.

SBS: I initially assumed that flounce was a joke. The intent of both the original post and the necro were entirely clear to me at least. I hope he un-flounces.

Soft boot riders are hugely important to keeping this place sane. Narrowing it down further would kill it. Fin's intent is to broaden it: we're discussing how you may do that. It sounds like "very carefully" would be a good starting point. 

I think that the purpose of this poll in the first place was something like:

"Is there anything we can do to encourage soft boot carving people to come here, because it's all carving."

...and on that you'd probably want to ask people like SBS for suggestions.

I'm aware this is a commercial site and obviously what happens is up to the boss. My own suggestions anyway:

• Don't moderate things like my own powder riding into "off topic".

That costs time and effort, and results in a very narrow view of the world.

When it snows, most of us will be powder riders.

Many hard booters use inappropriate gear in powder, probably because of the narrow focus and small community.

Interchange of information will help fix that.

• Use your tags more effectively for categorization.

Posters or moderators could easily tag posts which are related (say) to diving-for-the-snow-EC which will make it easier for those of us who aren't interested in those things to avoid them, whilst saving users from having to check multiple areas for updates.

Even so, it's hardly a huge forum and not a significant issue in my view.

How many pages of posts do you ever have to look at?

• Manufacture some kick-ass soft-boot-carving product (those plates promoted by Ryan come to mind), and build part of the site to sell specifically to soft boot people.

Put it at the top level on the home page: give it equal priority with the hard boot stuff.

Those of us who use hard boots don't have many choices and know this is the place already - you don't need to advertise to us.

Use the main site to lure soft boot people in (and no-boarders, although I'm not sure what you could sell them ;-).

Make newcomers with weird technology feel welcome: the opposite of what would happen if a hard booter went to any other snowboarding forum. That's your strength and their weakness.

• Like 1

I think as long as the soft booters understand they are on an inferior carving device everything should be fine.

We soft booters can't understand that, since it's been scientifically proven that we have inferior intellectual powers.

For the same reason, we can't choose pants in the right size.

Seriously, I discovered that my favorite soft boot carving board to date is a Bataleon.

I'm sure people here could read that post in the general forums : "TBT vs decambered nose : what's the best for carving ?"

I agree with philw post above, about technical tips.

Edited by pegtal

WOW, I just re-read this whole fargin sheet show :smashfrea (yes I am that bored while watching tears from heaven wash away the dreams of any kind of season recovery by what the mid march radar pic shows, on a normal year, would be an epic 2 foot powder weekend)

I'd forgotten the depths of "us vs them" douchebaggery that this thread devolved into and trailer trash seems to want to perpetuate :flamethro

Fin, you should have just popped in "straps & lace carving" under off topic and left this thread to RotInPeace

Edited by b0ardski

I really like that I can get high quality snowboards from custom builders who advertise on this site. Any yes I carve in softboots too. Bomber, Donek, Coiler...I ride all of their products in hard and soft. Think please! Imagine life without. Reality is more softboot carving interest is out there and it is a good thing. 

I like carvedog's analogy that softboot carving is the "gateway drug" to hardboot carving.  Softboot carvers posting on this forum are already addicts and will eventually reach for the hard stuff.  It's human nature.  Once they see what's available on this site, they will want it.

If we really want to increase popularity of hardboot riding, a softboot carving forum would be the perfect thing.  The biggest entry barriers are the expense (and initial discomfort) of the gear, and the new skills required.  Most of us are converted softbooters, and reading the BOL forums helped us big time.  Why wouldn't this be the case for the next generation of jibbers, as well?   Who knows, a Bomber softbooter forum might even inspire a market for hybrid gear that would ease the transition to carving.

Like a some of us, I've held on to my 1990s softboot setup, and still break it out once or twice a year to practice riding switch, spring rock dodging, and late season hikes up to the last snow after the lifts close.  I've seen some great softboot carvers and would be interested in reading what they have to say.  

I wouldn't say that it's a foregone conclusion that every carving softbooter will switch to hardboots as they're 'better'. My better doesn't line up with your better, which doesn't line up with Mr. softbootsailor's better. I've switched exclusively to hardboots, but I don't have any ill will towards someone on different equipment.

Who cares though? We all like putting our boards on edge and turning harder than most people can even imagine. I have more in common with a guy on softboots that's railing carves than someone on hardboots hitting rails. Ok, bad analogy, but hopefully it gets my point across! :p

Use whatever you have the most fun with. What does bug me is when someone tries to claim that their chosen equipment is THE BEST for anything. Hardboots rule for rails/powder/pipe, you're stupid for using softies! Softboots rule for hard carving, you're stupid for using stiffies! Why does anyone care how someone else spends their hobby money? If you want to buy a lift ticket and sit in the bar, that's also fine by me; I won't critique your boots for being non-optimal for chugging beer.

I also don't care how many sub-forums there are. I click the 'new posts' button at the top and decide which threads I want to read by the titles.

P.S. I'm feeling crusty as my snowboarding season is over. 16 days of riding weren't enough...

I skimmed through some previous pages of this thread. You can see a strong correlation between extreme viewpoints and the word 'Banned' under their username. These people were kicked out* of this bar because they were disturbing others with their obnoxious arguments that try to make an us vs. them argument out of an honest and well-meaning question by Fin.

Don't take the extremists as representative of the group's thoughts.

* There may be things other than just this thread that led to the bannings, but it's interesting seeing the correlation.

• Like 1