Note to New Members ×

Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems

www.oldsnowboards.com

Scrutton,

Yes, 4mm Lite will be available start of next season. Total of three flexes then available:

• 5mm
  • 4mm
  • 4mm Lite

Hope to have some flex numbers we can all start to use as well to better judge what model will work best for you.

Scrutton,

Yes, 4mm Lite will be available start of next season. Total of three flexes then available:

• 5mm
  • 4mm
  • 4mm Lite

Hope to have some flex numbers we can all start to use as well to better judge what model will work best for you.

Thanks Fin. Looks real nice. I'm personally looking forward to figuring out what flex works best for me.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, In reality the current plate systems have only one real modification to this patent. That is that they are mounted to a snowboard rather than a ski.

Kinda looks like everybody owes Franz Scherubl for the vintage 1989 design of our current plates...

http://www.google.com/patents/US5046751

Check out the drawings. Fig 3 - part #4, slides inside of part#14 in the direction identified by 20. Fixed hinge at the back. Look familiar?

Kinda looks like everybody owes Franz Scherubl for the vintage 1989 design of our current plates...

http://www.google.com/patents/US5046751

Check out the drawings. Fig 3 - part #4, slides inside of part#14 in the direction identified by 20. Fixed hinge at the back. Look familiar?

The question now is. Is he still alive ? Has he ever defended his patent ? He could be a rich man if he decided to sick his lawyers on the world of boarders. However the fact that this references skis only would mean his lawyers left him with a patent ripe for picking.:smashfrea:smashfrea

The patent has expired and is now in the public domain.

There are so many patents that fall into this group it can keep you busy for a long time researching.

Those doing the research will be surprised how few things have not already been covered 36 different ways

many years ago. Keep diggin :)

There are so many patents that fall into this group it can keep you busy for a long time researching.

Those doing the research will be surprised how few things have not already been covered 36 different ways

many years ago. Keep diggin :)

Awhile back I did a fair amount of research for a couple of cycling/fitness related ideas and was amazed at what had already been invented.I've always thought however,that the biggest roadblock to my receiving a patent would be my own administrative laziness.It's difficult to stay focused long enough to see it through, let alone do a complete search on my own.As a fledgling artist long ago,I found it much more fun to do the art than try to sell it;same with developing or improving upon ideas.

• 1 month later...

Bryan, Looks sweet! Lots of technology and expensive materials in that ride. I have yet to try a plate with softies. Sean at Donek built me a special board with UPM inserts that I wanted to try last season. With the lack of snow, I never made any runs on it. Crossing my fingers that this season will be better.

Enjoy your new ride and please give us an update after you put miles on it.

Take care, Tom

Edited by Miltie
spelling

Hi Miltie. Yes, I think it looks pretty cool. I have to overcome the fact that I have not been riding soft boots much for a few years and the leverage (due to the stack height) might work against me and my lack of ankle strength. I have been wanting to try the set up with soft boots for a while now. I rode it with plates and it is sweet. EXCEPT, I don't like the width. Too wide for my tastes. I have been hoping to find a pair of FR2s and bought these from Art recently. Had a few moments to mess with it the other night and I just had to see how it looked. Art had taken the bindings apart to ship them so I don't know if I have the sizing right yet. I may add a third strap too to give me more toe side power/leverage. Basically just messing around thinking of the winter ahead. Will definitely post up

when I have given it a go. I think I would likely try it without the plate also. Bryan

Tinkler TNT / snow stix / with plate and Catek FR2s.

Enjoyed assembling the Cateks and mounting them up.

What do you think? It is heavy, but I think it will work well.

[ATTACH]30957[/ATTACH][ATTACH]30958[/ATTACH][ATTACH]30959[/ATTACH]

Bryan,

That looks awesome. I loved the way that board rode with soft boots and the plate combined with the baseplate risers of the Catek FR2s will only make it that much better. I had wondered how that board would work with just the Bomber Power Plates and a light pair of softboot bindings (for me the Cateks are just too heavy and have too many pieces/screws). Can't wait for it to snow to hear how that works.

cheers,

sandy

Hey Sandy, I almost forgot you are one of the few that actually rode this snowboard!!! ( The best I can recall is Tim Smith rode it for a very short time and you.) I have some lightweight softboot bindings and the Bomber plates. I will definitely give that a good also!!

Ed is on his way today from Montana. Too bad you can't be here for some BQ / Beer and snowboard bs'ing :)

Bryan

Bryan,

That looks awesome. I loved the way that board rode with soft boots and the plate combined with the baseplate risers of the Catek FR2s will only make it that much better. I had wondered how that board would work with just the Bomber Power Plates and a light pair of softboot bindings (for me the Cateks are just too heavy and have too many pieces/screws). Can't wait for it to snow to hear how that works.

cheers,

sandy

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems like a good time to get your new custom plate ordered in time for the season.

Mike builds plates that will mount directly with the Boiler Plate System (buy the DIY kit here for only 329$

As an option you can have a plate built to mount via Mike's previous hardware AND the BP kit.

Great way to build a custom flex pattern with burly Bomber hardware. Last season we built several test plates

that worked well with several systems. Pretty handy!!

Send your own top sheet design and own a plate that matches your snowboard.

Is anyone interested in constructive opinions on the latest offering of plates available to riders today ? Or . Do you prefer to accept without critcism what is or will be available. I would be interested in hearing what might be considered oversights in design or intentional marketing deception. I think it is paramount that what you buy and what you pay has value beyond the hype.

I think the important thing is you have to have actually ridden the plate you are reviewing. If you don't have first hand knowledge of what you are critiquing, then the critique is without merit and simply an opinion based on a photo you saw. As you know there is a review section on the forum. If you feel uncomfortable posting your riding experience here, then post it there.