Note to New Members ×

Look what's on the front page of the Toronto Star

Zone

I would normally post this on the racing forum, but it's not often that hardboots gets front page, even less often front page of Canada's biggest paper:

http://www.thestar.com/olympics/2010/article/748006--snowboard-wizards-aim-to-turn-carbon-into-gold?bn=1

Interesting article too about secret sauce.

Check the video link also (does not work with Firefox unless you use IE tab plugin etc...).

http://www.thestar.com/videozone/747896

My subscription ran out last week!! Missed at least two great articles by Randy Starkman. If you get a chance read some of the older articles by Randy. He has done a great job keeping snowboarding in the publics eye.

Great video!!

Thanks for the article and video.

A bit sad that a group of enthousiastic volunteers have to help the Olympic dream come through in their sparetime. On the other hand its nice you have such a bunch of guys that do this almost for free. Hope JJ wins his gold.

very cool stuff!!! Me being a geek love the technology.

Isn't the spirit of olympic suppose to equal the playing field? Push the limit of human potential. Hence they used to compete in the nude.

Do we not want to win because we are better snowboarder and not because of better equipement?

Like when audi first introduce AWD in racing; eventually it got banned.

If it's a safety thing; I figure we all want to share the advancement. I would hate to see a fellow athelete get hurt because he/she push way beyond the limit of equipment. I guess that's part of the competition too "to know the limit of one's gears".

--

David

The secret appears to hinge upon the connection. ;)

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Uetgrb9wF1Lz9pTDXVHVPg?feat=directlink

Uetgrb9wF1Lz9pTDXVHVPg?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/7-vC1c6QxN9lEo7ATi_82A?feat=directlink

7-vC1c6QxN9lEo7ATi_82A?feat=directlink

Maybe the links will work, at least.

Does this type of plate make the SW moot as even simple flat bindings will be able to flex?! hmmmnnn.

7-vC1c6QxN9lEo7ATi_82A?feat=directlink

Uetgrb9wF1Lz9pTDXVHVPg?feat=directlink

It's great to see folks working on technology that will eventually trickle down to us. Our passion has been neglected by the big manufactuers for a number of years now. I'm also glad to see the sport get some press.

I wouldn't get too excited about the Apex plate trickling down to average riders. First of all, do you really need 1/2 second more speed? And how much more are you willing to pay for it? Does that translate into a viable market? It takes a lot more than engineering to bring a product to market.

The Sidewinder is a whole different deal. You need bindings to ride so you might as well buy one that gives you lateral flex. The incremental cost is small compared to conventional bindings. The Apex plate, OTOH, is an entirely discretionary expense.

As for level playing field - Hah! The Olympics are about winning with any advantage you can muster.

I wouldn't get too excited about the Apex plate trickling down to average riders. First of all, do you really need 1/2 second more speed? And how much more are you willing to pay for it? Does that translate into a viable market? It takes a lot more than engineering to bring a product to market.

True, but some rec riders are still shelling out for boards with HANGLs or a VIST plate. Why would that be any different for the Apex plate (assuming the f'n thing doesn't cost more than 600 USD)?

As for level playing field - Hah! The Olympics are about winning with any advantage you can muster.

Olympics seem to be quite inconsistent about leveling the field... I remember the days when even semi-pros were not entitled to compete (example: Ingmar Stenmark, 1886)... Then, say sailing: Laser class is so restricted that you can change just few rope systems and entire kit is supplied by the organisers; Finn class used to be completelly supplied, then over a period the hull foils and fittings were supplied, while athletes brought their own masts and sails (which was strange as in that era the bigger technological braketrough was in the rigs, not the hulls). I'm not too sure what htey do now, probably all supplied by athlete...

Those who remember Chariots of Fire, know that even having a private coach was considered cheating. Rewind back a bit more, brings us to the era when PRACTICING was considered cheating too, for a gentleman, in England...

Nice pictures!

My engineering analysis:

It looks like this will decouple the board's bending in a carve from the rider's legs while still maintaining a stiff connection from edge to edge. When you bend a board into an arc without this plate it would naturally force your knees together. Conversely the board's stifness would be higher near the bindings without this plate as your knees will resist this motion somewhat.

I can only guess that the extra length out front is to add a supplemental spring if the board bends far enough, kind of like the supplemental 'towing' springs on a leaf-spring eqipped truck. Without that it might be possible that they were snapping boards from allowing a little too much bending.

The rubber-looking bellows that are normally around it likely either:

- pevent snow from accumulating under the plate, messing up this effect

- is an air chamber that allows the rider to change the stiffness of the system by adjusting the pressure

or

- is simply there just to conceal its details

The VIST and Hangle plates don't have this decoupling, they only spread the point load from the bindings over a bigger area. The aluminum home-made-looking system is likely similar but I haven't seen many pictures of it.

Cool stuff, I'm interested to hear reviews from capable riders of all the systems once they're available for public use.

From the article posted HERE:

Unsung Heroes Help Snowboarders Reach Apex

The guys at Apex Composites in Burlington, featured on the front page of today's Toronto Star, really have gone above and beyond to help the Canadian alpine snowboard team in the chase for Olympic gold. They're not publicity seekers – we found them; they didn't come to us.

How dedicated are these guys?

Take the time Apex president Gerry Kavanaugh and manager Matt Clarke showed up for a training camp in Whistler and realized the plate system they designed – now on about Generation Seven – wasn't working like they'd planned.

They didn't want the trip to be a waste so they drove to a Canadian Tire in Squamish, bought grinders, epoxy, fibreglass, polyester resin, wood and hacksaws and began to re-configure the plate system on the balcony of the hotel room they were sharing with coach Mark Fawcett – the fiercely driven coach let them bunk with him.

They even used the bbq there to cure their handiwork.

“We actually set up a little makeshift composite shop on the balcony, so we could hack and saw and do whatever we needed,” said Kavanaugh.

The trip started on a rough note, too, as they noticed a mistake in the plate system when they finally assembled it in Burlington late the night before they left. Their flight was at 6:30 am. Kavanaugh went home, got his suitcase, kissed his wife and baby good-bye, and went back to the plant to keep working all night with Clarke to fix things up. The carbon fibre plates were still warm from the oven when they packed them up to rush for their flight.

Some other little bits that didn't make today's story:

* Snowboard Matt Morison's father, Paul, was kind of the guineau pig for the plate system at times. The entire Morison clan, from Burketon near Oshawa, are avid snowboarders. So when the team was over in Europe and the boys at Apex need somebody to try out a new version of the plate system, they enlisted Paul Morison to take it out on the slopes for a test run.

“He's not as fast as Matt,” said Kavanaugh. “But he could tell us if it was going to fall apart or not.”

* Peter Meszaros, a scientist and one of the foremost experts in North American in terms of composites technology, was a consultant on the project. At 65, Meszaros wasn't exactly into the snowboard lingo, but brought a direct and scientific approach to the project.

* There is one potential bonus in this whole thing for Kavanaugh. “If anyone gets a medal at the Olympics, Mark Fawcett owes me snowboard lessons next winter,” he said.

From the article posted HERE:

Unsung Heroes Help Snowboarders Reach Apex

* There is one potential bonus in this whole thing for Kavanaugh. “If anyone gets a medal at the Olympics, Mark Fawcett owes me snowboard lessons next winter,” he said.

Instead asking a big $$$, he ask for a snowboard lessons...hey Mark Fawcett as an instructor:eek:, not a bad idea...:biggthump

Cheers

Roy

One question - this plate is made for the Canadian Alpine Team, right?

If so, what plate is Tyler Jewell using? It looks pretty similar.

And something else - watching JJ and Michael race at Kreischberg, it is interesting to see that Lambert´s plate ends behind the rear binding and Anderson´s plate seems to be mounted further back on the board - so it is not as long in front of the bindings, but stretches further out in the back ...