Note to New Members ×

Have you thought about how you've changed in the time since you joined BOL?

scotts.Scheinman

I joined as a highschool freshman intent on being a pilot in the airforce, went to an aviation college and burnt out after a year. Went to Culinary school, worked around NH for two years, and now I'm a Pre-Med student, and all my friends just graduated college :( making me feel like I've wasted the past 4 years.

I started here at BOL on the old forum, which I guess, isn't the old forum just the forum put into a more user-friendly format. In those days, before the TD1 or even the Toaster had been invented, we sat around and wished for a plate binding that didn't screw mount into the topsheet of our boards. Finally, this Fin guy made a pair of trenchdiggers and started selling them to the forum.

Seriously, I have become a proficient intermediate rider and have made numerous friends as a result of hanging out here on Bomber. Something that I would have struggled for years to accomplish without the daily rider input and tech articles here.

An example: the first time that I rode a pair of TD1's, I didn't use bumpers because the bindings (a gift from a fellow rider) had no bumpers. I failed and flailed miserably. I contacted Fin and asked for help. He recommended bumpers (duh, to me). So, once the bumpers were attached and a few more tweaks learned from the forum added, I began to carve. It all started from that to now, being able to go anywhere on the mountain I want to ('cept bumps, not so much).

Oh, and I have a son who hardboots now, too.

Mark

I've been hardbooting for 20 years, since the neon era. In '89 I cut the highback off my strap bindings, attached piece of cable for a heel bail & strapped in with my solomon SX91s:eek:

Bought UPS alpinas with flourescent pink the next year (looked good on the K2 TX) and never looked back at laces & straps again.:flamethro

I only discovered BOL 2 years ago but it feels like I've been here forever.

Finding a source for gear & knowledge from people that didn't skoff at plastic shells & stepins was the greatest thing that ever happened to my skibum career, with the possible exception of learnig to carve switch.

thanks Fin

I found this forum as a bored softbooter, then pieced together my first setup from the classifieds here. I've slowed down dramatically on the slopes, I went from being a slightly out of control speed addict to a carving/G-force addict.

I've been through 3 promotions at work and am 4 weeks away from being a dad. :biggthump

It feels like just yesterday when I found BOL... I guess not!

When did I join? My join date on my profile says November 7, 2003...But I believe that marks the date that the new forum went up. I know I was on the old one for several years before that...I started coaching in '95, was at sunapee in '98 I think that is when I started.

So in the past 10 years...I'm on my 4th residence, 2nd dog, First fiancee, working on my masters, 2nd job (not including odd jobs), Got old and fat, No Kids yet, Handicap went from a 20 to 12 and now back again, 3rd car (100 K on this one too). 2 new nephews, picked up some neices with the fiancee. third mountain (going the wrong direction), countless boards, from never heard of USASA to series director, board member and Nationals TS. Parents retired and left NY...

yeah its been quite a ride...

When I joined I was living in New England attempting to ride as many ski areas as possible and slowly makin gprogress on an accounting degree while teaching snowboarding. Since then, I moved to CO, and then finally back to AK(basically drove in a big 12,000mi loop), have finished said degree, have started working on another degree-quickly realized accounting was way too boring for me. I got engaged, and most recently threw off the shackles of ski school, only to pick up new shackles of nursing school. I ride slightly faster than I did, and fall slightly less-on a good day.

I've learned much from BOL and observing others. I can remember like it was yesterday riding my first alpine board, Mistral Ectasy Asym w/ Burton rattraps down Skidder and Bubblecuffer at Sugarloaf and gettin' weird looks. Now, hopefully years later, making gear investments and more riding time over ski time, I hope to advance my technique to a higher level. I am looking forward to ECES this year so I can ride with the likes of y'all.

From occassional snowboarder to occassional skier;

From ski instructor to snowboard instructor;

From 1 board to 40+ boards;

From trying only to become better at snowsports to trying to make my son better;

And, from that to this:

post-1678-141842283878_thumb.gif

post-1678-141842283879_thumb.gif

My profile also says I joined Nov. 7, 2003. I suspect it was a couple of years earlier than that. My profile picture was taken around 2000. I haven't done that trick in a few years but probably still can.

Today, I'm a grandfather but haven't slowed down. I did five miles on my unicycle a week ago. I bought new F2 Ti Race bindings and have a goal of lowering my NASTAR handicap on my GS board. My golf handicap went from 5.8 up to a 12 and is now back to 8.1. I need to retire so I can get it back down some more.

In 2000 I was a VP with a brokerage firm that was sold to Merrill Lynch four years ago. I wound up running online sales for a ski, board, bike, and kayak shop. The money isn't close to what I made before but it's far more rewarding in other ways.

Physically I haven't changed although I've incurred broken hand, ankle, and ribs in three separate mishaps. Hair has turned grayish and is becoming conspicuous by its absence....

I'm eligible for Social Security but the government takes back too much if I continue to work so I'll put that option on hold for a while.

• 6 months later...
I started here at BOL on the old forum, which I guess, isn't the old forum just the forum put into a more user-friendly format. In those days, before the TD1 or even the Toaster had been invented, we sat around and wished for a plate binding that didn't screw mount into the topsheet of our boards. Finally, this Fin guy made a pair of trenchdiggers and started selling them to the forum.

Seriously, I have become a proficient intermediate rider and have made numerous friends as a result of hanging out here on Bomber. Something that I would have struggled for years to accomplish without the daily rider input and tech articles here.

An example: the first time that I rode a pair of TD1's, I didn't use bumpers because the bindings (a gift from a fellow rider) had no bumpers. I failed and flailed miserably. I contacted Fin and asked for help. He recommended bumpers (duh, to me). So, once the bumpers were attached and a few more tweaks learned from the forum added, I began to carve. It all started from that to now, being able to go anywhere on the mountain I want to ('cept bumps, not so much).

Oh, and I have a son who hardboots now, too.

Mark

So Mark?

The forum / website existed prior to Fin building bindings?? How is that?

Love to hear more of the earliest days of BOL>

In the beginng I was the very occasional visitor (old forum). Been a fan of the TD1 from it's early days. My first pair came on a Rossi Pro form I believe.

Still the only forum I am active on. Member of a few, seldom post.

Just as the alpine form of snowboarding has become my focus , so has the community in general.

I have been fortunate to meet so many enthusiasts through this forum, many becoming very good friends.

I would invite more of the lurkers to speak up. Reach out and meet some of the riders that share your passion. Ignore those with an agenda outside of the primary goal. Sharing Alpine snowboarding. Live long and carve hard.

Thanks Bomber!!!

Oh ya, the point of the post.

Older ( I was old then, older now)

Added a half dozen broken bones to the long list

Packed on 40+ lbs.

Went from MLY race (with Tinkler plate inserts)

To custom / one off / TNT + Plate + Snow Stix snowboards.

Approx.

Went from 70% skiing/ 20% powder snowboarding/ 10% alpine snowboarding to

75% alpine snowboarding/ 15% powder snowboarding / 10% skiing

I used to try to offer more advice on BOL. The old board was fun - some brutal flame wars (CF anyone?)

Now I shut up and listen. I've learned that others are better able to explain carving. So now it's sarcastic one-liners and dumb jokes for me. I've been happy with my role as class clown.

My next step will be to start more flame wars and become more jaded and condescending. I'd also like a little more bitterness to set in so I can really lay into strangers for no reason.

( In jest ) > I was googl'ing up "Bongs on line" and got this site,and I said woah dude this is better than pot , and I haven't smoked any weed since, lol. :p

I have only been here since about Xmas, I ignored alpine for 20 + years ( ya I'm ignorant ) , and now that I hard boot 100%`of the time I am "enlightened" ( even tho I still spend most of my time carving on my ass )