Note to New Members ×

Foot measurement compared to Deeluxe size.

trailertrash

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My foot measures 28.5, so I bought a 28, but next time I will get 27. :mad:

Putting my bare foot in the shell with my toe at the end, I can almost get three fingers behind my heel. I had to use my old gray Thermoflex liners to get a better mold and take up more volume.

If I measure my feet flat on the ground they are both between 26.5 and 27. If I measure on my prescription footbeds they are both a shade under 26. If I measure on my footbeds while engaging my arches (point big toe downwards, feel long muscle in foot contract, see arch form) then I am a shade over 25.

I fit into a 25 with a little room to spare, and there might be a set of 24's in my future.

I will see if I can find something that illustrates the "engaged arches" thing. It's an exercise I was taught to do which, among other things, helps people with flat feet learn to arch them more.

I measure 28.3 and I'm in a 27. I switched down a size after riding for 8 plus years in a 28 shell.

In a 28 shell I use to be able to get 3 fingers behind my heel with no liners. In a 27 I can get 1 finger and pinky behind the heel.

My heel lift I had in a 28 shell is pretty much gone in my 27 shell. Yes my toes touch the front of the liner, but once I start riding they are fine. It's the best upgrade I've ever made. Alex thanks for recommending the Gold liner series from Dalbello.

No shell stretching. It'a all about foot shape (as noted by AlexJ). Orthotics can also effectively shorten your footprint by raising the arch and pulling the toes back (as noted by MikeT).

And for the record... FINGERS, SCHMINGERS!! I wish people would stop using that method! How thick is a finger? We use a 'swizzle stick' that is about 20cm long and has a 10mm ball on one end and a combination 19mm/24mm block on the other. This stick can be easily slid down behind the heel to accurately measure the shell clearance.

We try to put most riders into a shell that has 10-19mm of clearance. Many customers come in with their old boots and have 25+mm of clearance and simply don't want to change.

No shell stretching. It'a all about foot shape (as noted by AlexJ). Orthotics can also effectively shorten your footprint by raising the arch and pulling the toes back (as noted by MikeT).

And for the record... FINGERS, SCHMINGERS!! I wish people would stop using that method! How thick is a finger? We use a 'swizzle stick' that is about 20cm long and has a 10mm ball on one end and a combination 19mm/24mm block on the other. This stick can be easily slid down behind the heel to accurately measure the shell clearance.

We try to put most riders into a shell that has 10-19mm of clearance. Many customers come in with their old boots and have 25+mm of clearance and simply don't want to change.

I agree, was just talking about this with somebody, good points.

We should change the "finger" standard with some other standard household object to get accurate measurements.

We should change the "finger" standard with some other standard household object to get accurate measurements.

In Canada, a 10 cent piece, aka dime, is 18mm in diameter and a 5 cent piece, aka nickel, is 21mm in diameter. I'd suggest taking a piece of wood dowel, about 20cm long, cutting slots in each end (like you were making an arrow) and insert a dime/nickel into the slots with some glue. There, you now have a YYZCANUCK patent pending "Swizzle Stick™".

Instructions for using the Swizzle Stick™... Dime good, nickel not so good!

In the industry I work in that's called a 'go-no-go' gauge. Dime goes, nickel doesn't go.

Flat on the floor, my feet measure 27.3 and 27.5. I started with MP27 boots, but I really had to crank them down to keep my foot from sliding. Using footbeds, I squeeze into MP26. It's certainly a performance fit. I can get through the day without any discomfort but, I am guilty of flipping up the bottom two latches sometimes on lift rides up. I will probably go for 26.5 next time.

There ya go folks, Dave know's what he talking about I'd go off of his recommendation over any other post this far.

Dave I like the measurements this should almost be posted in BOL's Q&A for boot sizing and fitting. There are so many questions and complaints about people trying to get a boot to fit right and not knowing what the correct fit is or should be. I really think a boot fitting video or write up with pictures would help people out a lot.

There are so many of us that ride or rode with boots to big for us because we just didn't know any better. I was one of those until myself and now I have seen the light. Foot pain is a thing of the past for me:D

These measurements aren't the end of the topic by any means. There is so much more to fitting a boot. Andrea and I really need to attend some classes on this but to be honest, it's tough to find the time and tough to justify the cost.

We started using these measurements after plenty of trial and error. Eventually I figured we had to use something quantitative, rather than a 'finger', so that we had a baseline. We could always adjust that baseline as we gained more experience.

I picked a set of measurements that would allow the liner thickness (10-14mm depending on manufacturer and model) to take up most of the shell volume for most of the people, most of the time.

I think these numbers will work for many people but there are always exceptions. There is just no explaining one person's feel versus the bootfitter's perception of how it 'should' feel.

In all honesty... nothing works better than visiting a good bootfitter, explaining to them exactly what you'll be doing with those boots and let them work their magic. They may not have alpine snowboard experience but they have boot fitting experience!

Just one more thing... A good bootfitter can make a small boot bigger, he can't make a big boot smaller.

I am also in one size smaller than my feet measure, after a bunch of heel lift (and Fin!) convinced me to go down a size. I've since learned that I have very low volume feet because I still get a little heel lift even with thermo-molded Intuition liners. It's not my heel lifting in the liner, it's the liner lifting in the boot. I'm at the smallest/tightest ankle strap setting on Track 700's and could use a little more.

Note that the longest part of your foot (when measuring) isn't the same part that hits the boot when you slide it forward in the empty plastic shell. For me it's the edge of the big toe and the 4th/5th toes that touch the plastic. If someone's foot was exactly the same shape as the toe box in the shells they could probably wear a full size smaller again. If your toes were closer to square you'd need a bigger shell.

In all honesty... nothing works better than visiting a good bootfitter, explaining to them exactly what you'll be doing with those boots and let them work their magic. They may not have alpine snowboard experience but they have boot fitting experience!

So true that was been my experience as well. I've found that quite a few shops have the oven box to heat thermos. Paying a professional bootfitter to get you dailed in correctly is money well spent.

So, either I'm doing something wrong, or I'm the anomoly(sp) here. My feet measure 24.1 & 24.4 and I am wearing a 24mp Raichle SB323 and used to have AF600. Both with Thermos. Feet are/were snug in these boots. I also had a pair of Head Stratos in a 23.5 that my feet froze in because my toes were jammed into the toebox.

My foot measure 26.5 and i'm using HSP 25.5, I had to remove the footbeds as it was really too tight for the toes. At the beginning I was able to keep the boots in the house no more than 30 minutes... now it's almost perfect : no heel lift but the toes are a bit squeezed, it should pack a bit more.

This means I might be able to go to 25.5's. Molded my 26 Sb123's last night with superfeet that I got from Bordy. Super snug with toe cap/super thin sock, just perfect afterwards in my snowboard socks. Left foot 26.6/right foot 26.8, been in 27's up till now, and did have heel lift after the liners packed out some.

just got home from the bootfitter after getting my new 700's initially fit. they're a 25 mondo and shell test was good. volume around heel and shin is often an issue for me so lots of padding is being added to the liner take up some room. my bootfiter, who's a pro & has seen lots of hardboots, made the observation that the deeluxe 700's have a very large heel pocket for a boot considered to be a race/high performance hardboot. he said, ideally for this level of boot, the shell around the heel should be designed to fit more snug. are you guys dropping down several size to achieve good heel fit, then blowing out the toe box for length??