Note to New Members ×

Favorite Stomp Pad?

AK in PA

Yeah, I know they're ugly. But switching between boards last weekend, one with and one without, I decided to get one for the new stick. The one "with" just made life easier sliding off the lifts and navigating over to the top of the runs. I like the functionality of my spikey Dakine. It's clear, but a little clunky looking. But I see they make the individual spikey stickies, too. Barely noticeable and not at all obnoxious. I wonder if they'd actually stay put though. Not alot of surface meat to hold them. And do they provide enough boot grab to be worthwhile? I'm leaning towards functional clunk at the moment. What do you guys like?

I used to use the dakine spiked, and had to take all kinds of precautions when moving multiple boards. So I just quit using them all together. I found just tucking my back boot tight to the front gives me as much control as I need, and actually lets me get more leverage on both heel and toeside off the lift.

When I say I tuck 'em, I really mean cramming it in tight.

I used to use the dakine spiked, and had to take all kinds of precautions when moving multiple boards. So I just quit using them all together. I found just tucking my back boot tight to the front gives me as much control as I need, and actually lets me get more leverage on both heel and toeside off the lift.

When I say I tuck 'em, I really mean cramming it in tight.

I just balance on one foot. Much easier that way, IMO

Depending on the snow, it can be hopeless without a stomp pad, intecs or not.

Experienced that one when my stomp pad ripped off my Burton. Trying to kick your heel in and feeling the bail hit below the ledge every time. "Excuse me sir, can I borrow your pole for a moment" *Scrape scrape scrape*

Maybe if you have enough boards that you don't have overlaps in the conditions you use them in. Granular hardpack and slush won't stick, but Sierra pow turns into cement! I use a three-piece Dakine that hurts when you touch it.

Experienced that one when my stomp pad ripped off my Burton. Trying to kick your heel in and feeling the bail hit below the ledge every time. "Excuse me sir, can I borrow your pole for a moment" *Scrape scrape scrape*

You can use the intec receiver on the binding to scrape off the ice/cement from your heel. Works better than the stomp pad, too.

--

Ken

Re: durability of individual spikes - I use the individual diamond shaped stickies. They provide adequate boot grab, and I haven't lost one yet. As with all adhesives, surface prep is the key. I scrub the board with isopropyl alcohol or acetone, apply the sticky, and then press for 12 hours with a piece of 2x4 and a brick.

You can use the intec receiver on the binding to scrape off the ice/cement from your heel. Works better than the stomp pad, too.

--

Ken

Makes sense. I know on Burton bindings they made everything round so no matter how hard you try, your boot just goes around the binding instead of being scraped. I remember one of the first hardbooters I saw had Intecs, and he was stealing tools from the lifty to clear his boot every time. I wonder why he didn't just use the binding..

My favourite stomp pad was the old Burton ribbed foam one that I had many many years ago. No snow stuck to it and your foot never slipped. I figured it would tear but never did.

My next favourite is a clear rectangular plastic sheet with a whole bunch of narrow/tall spikes all over it. The spikes all broke off instantly and now they're just a bunch of tiny circles that are barely raised. Still looking for another two for the latest boards...

Ski hills here have insane off-loading ramps, often covered in glare ice from all the people attempting to side slip down them. Figure 25-30 degrees, from 4 to 12 feet of vertical, usually with one or more people laying at the bottom after they fell. Just ridiculous. :( Riding those without stomp pads is suicide.

I've been using these for a number of years now. I really like them. Nominal nubblies for a little traction and the big ridge in the middle for scraping snow/ice.

DaKine Clutch:

http://www.rei.com/product/744385

How that works? is it good one? i was looking for that one too but decided to stay with old waithfull one which is my favourite:

114_0.jpg

I've been using these for a number of years now. I really like them. Nominal nubblies for a little traction and the big ridge in the middle for scraping snow/ice.

DaKine Clutch:

http://www.rei.com/product/744385

I have used this one as well and I am quite happy with it although it is more to prevent the topsheet from getting dinged up than to rid myself of snow.

Re: durability of individual spikes - I use the individual diamond shaped stickies. They provide adequate boot grab, and I haven't lost one yet. As with all adhesives, surface prep is the key. I scrub the board with isopropyl alcohol or acetone, apply the sticky, and then press for 12 hours with a piece of 2x4 and a brick.

That doesn't do a number on your topsheet? Plastic and acetone don't play nicely.

Stomp_Design_Diamond_Plate__3618.gif

Where do I find these?

I've used rubber stair tread material similar to the above pic. Lately I've been using a thin rubber sheet found at the hardware store... just cut to size and adhere it to the board.

I have never found a use for a scrapper pad, but the friction of a low profile pad while getting off of some lift ramps is important... I'm missing several ligaments in my knees and stability is a good thing.

I also have a terrible habit of kicking the snow off my board while on the lift. A strategically located pad can deter lots of damage from my UPZ boots (the toe screws stick out enough to cause damage).