Note to New Members ×

BOL board out of the loop. Bordy out...

Bordy

I just got home from a trip and was reading over the thread about crappy burton snowboards that suck ass, with the Ignorant comments about snowboards and snowboarding as always on this site. I think I have had enough. Like almost every other pro who has tried to bring this web site any form of real input based on the current level of alpine snowboarding(thats the one in the real world not the made up one online).

As I stand with my jaw on the ground reading comments from riders with a year or less of riding or even better from skiers. Not only toward me but towards other long time members of the alpine community. I am as always amazed by the true ignorance from these riders-posters.

Since a long time pro like myself always has to "defend their statements". I am done trying to defend real world experance VS. internet snowboarding.

Since most of my pers in the sport consider me to be an expert in my field I think I am done wasting my time on a board where a few riders with a year or two on snow think they should be providing me with advise on how to "post on a snowboard forum". Negating any true world respect I have earned.

I may still interject on a post here or there. But not with the same excitement or depth.

Its a great place for all of the recreational riders to keep it going. I think after being called a airchair quaterback by a poster, I have decided that if someone with my level of experance can't comment on a web site about his own field, then I have no other comments to make.

I'll continue to only share my info with the industry only. I used to see my post on BOL as a way to help out the little guys and girls directly. Since its obvious some of you choose not to understand or respect what I have done indirectly over the past 20 years.

I will continue to promote alpine snowboarding to the Masses via a format that will be more condusive to promoting the growth of the sport with out input from uneducated riders jading the valuble information provided by myself and the curent staff of Alpine Pioneers I assembled for just this task.

I thank all the riders on the board who bring valuable info.

Perhaps its a good omen that the BOL board has grown to a point where the new posters, riders and contributors feel as though their alpine knowledge is vast enough to contribute positivley to the sport. As well as experanced enough to qualf and belittle expert opinions.

I however feel my time waisted here on BOL should be spent instead promoting the sport at the level I am involed instead of tring to "Bring the BOL board into the know"

In the past I had hoped to help continue to educate the BOL memebers via post and contributions. However I think it time to use my own website to promote growth and not a forum at a friends site.

I hope lots of BOL posters will enjoy the contributions that will be appearing on Hardbooter.com over the spring and summer. We will be using Video and text to share the message.

I think this will be the easiest way for me to share info with the alpine community, with out the headaches that go along with BOL post and posters.

Thanks to all the Long time BOL posters who have shared this experance with me on BOL since Fin first told me about his Internet chat room.

Thanks also to all the Posters who have respected my comitment to alpine snowboarding and my contributions here.

And a Big right on to all the riders from this board who have tried to defend my knowledge and skills to thoose out of the loop. Thanks for tring to keep me around.

However after struggling to keep it real on BOL since day one of BOL I think I am done trying.

Good luck to the few of you on the board, in the know..........:biggthump

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear this. :mad:

Summer is coming, and the storage wax is going on my boards this weekend...

Perhaps we all could use a break from BOL. The summer/fall months are pretty tense around here anyways.

I'll be checking hardbooter.com for your vids.

Also I will be posting some carving vids of myself over the next few days. I'll look forward to your feedback on my techique (or lack thereof).

You will be missed for sure. :(

Very sorry to hear this Bordy, I hope you reconsider.

May I suggest what has worked for me (not that I am on your level of experience)... and that is, I've learned over time that sometimes all you can do is just post your stuff and then ignore all responses that aren't direct, respectful questions regarding your post. (questions, not questioning) Let the readers sort out the signal from the noise. If they don't get it right, well, too bad. Caveat emptor. But I think there's enough people here who know your deal and will back you up.

Also I think your beef is with the internet in general, not just BOL. Unfortunately this is how forums work. I'm on a couple others where the signal/noise ratio and respect levels are dreadfully lower. You just have to cherry pick the good stuff.

Have a great summer. You have helped me think about snowboards in ways that wouldn't have occurred to me.

A shame and a mistake.

Dude, I totally get your frustration, and I understand your point. But you need to realize that as this site has gotten more popular, it has also gained its share of trolls - some with knowledge, some without. Learning to ignore all the bullsh!t is a necessity of life in the digital age.

Take a break, but don't swear it off completely. Your knowledge and advice have helped quite a few here.

I thought this was a MATURE community of adults (mind you me I didn't say kids) that could not only share their experience with those who are looking to get started or to increase their abilities, but also to meet people who we'd otherwise probably never get a chance to meet under other circumstances?

Bordy I wish you wouldn't leave because of the ignorance of some people. The majority of people here on BOL are really great people (including myself) :)

But seriously, I'd rather see you continue to share your experience because of people like you and others, my abilities have far surpassed what I expected to see from myself. We need more people like you in order to help this sport not only survive but expand!

Pebbles

Bordy - I think a lot more people than you realize appreciate your input. For each jacka$$ that talks smack and bashes, there are probably 20 people that appreciate and benefit from the advice/knowledge.

Shelly and I hope to road trip next winter and get over to ride with you and Dave, WTC maybe?!?. (I'll try to get Ink to come ;))

Peace,

Dustin

Bordy - I think a lot more people than you realize appreciate your input. For each jacka$$ that talks smack and bashes, there are probably 20 people that appreciate and benefit from the advice/knowledge.

20? Is that all? I'd say more like 100. You gotta factor in the people who aren't even members.

Bordy,

I do hope you reconsider, but if you do not I understand. Same thing happen to Kent and your main man Philfell.

If I don not see you here, I guess I will see you at hardbooter.com.

But where ever you are in the World Wide Web you will always encounter these guys

ethug.jpg

Regards,

Cristan

yeah, Bordy, we love you man!

as a whole you and only about 10 other people on this forum do I trueley trust what I need answer for something important.

there's bunch of propellerheads here but either ignore them or alternateley you can troll a little!

I've been online since the dawn of time - before Al Gore even invented the Internet. Who remembers BBS's and CompuServe?

Over the years, I've been insulted, cajoled, harassed and threatened. I even had one clown call my company to try to get me fired. Little did he know I was the owner.

My point - to enjoy the online medium you have to develop a thick skin. And on any online community, you need to learn who to ignore.

See ya, Bro.

You and me have "gone around the block" before, but I know you are the real and have alot of respect for you, even though we have never met. You can just sense experience sometimes.

We'll have to do some turns in the real world... Stoked to get you out on the NoBoard in some of that Utah pow and would love to get "updated" by you on current hardshredding.

That's a real bummer.

Bordy, I have enjoyed reading your posts the last few

years..but can also fully appreciate your frustrations with the Trolls/Noise/Disrespect on the forum when trying to educate

and promote the sport.

Hope to someday carve some turns with you.

I understand your feelings completely, but still am bummed about your choice.

I have come to really appreciate the quality and effort that you have always devoted to your posts- it was obvious from reading your stuff that you had BTDT, and got the T-shirt.

I'm sad to lose an elder of the tribe- but I'll continue to follow you on hardbooter.com

Keep your powder dry lightfighter,

George

I'd be willing to bet that despite the big pity party going on in this thread,there are more than a few who will probably remain silent and could care less.Every time a former world cupper or famous coach gets his feelings hurt on this site he runs away crying after accusing everyone else of being too sensitive. Let's not forget the standard recital of resumes to remind everyone of how we should all bow down to the derogatory statements and arrogant attitudes that so many high level industry insiders seem to bring with them.Last I looked,racing specific threads,although informative and important are a small part of the overall Recreational and Expression oriented carving scene.Carving as it seems to be promoted by most members on this site,is about Fun and Friends first,skill development to enhance the fun level second,upgrading equipment to further enhance the fun factor third;and somewhere down the line is one's former or current racing resume.

I have been as guilty as anyone of delivering unsolicited advice in my chosen sports and have taken it personally when it seemed my years of experience should be worthy of more respect,but how can we be surprised if people don't jump for joy at snobby,arrogant statements that do damage to self esteem,discourage participation and lessen the fun factor of being involved in such a great past time.With all it's varying levels of intensity,the acceptance level of advice and information has more to do with how the information is delivered than the resume of who delivered it.

I'm sure this reply won't win me any friends among the elite,and I fully expect to get flamed into oblivion,but I've got my box of kleenex right next to the computer just in case.

Steve P you obviously have never met Billy.

On BOL I'll be the first to admit he comes across arrogant and harsh, but if you've actually met him in person and maybe took some turns with him I think you'd feel differently.

What's great about BOL is we can converse with some of the top board makers and top riders in the world. If we keep driving them away because of harsh judgement based on impersonal forum postings then I personally don't see any need for the BOL forums. We might as well just have a classified and ride board with zero discussion. The experts here are what keeps this place interesting for me, and we just lost one of the best IMHO.

I'd be willing to bet that despite the big pity party going on in this thread,there are more than a few who will probably remain silent and could care less.Every time a former world cupper or famous coach gets his feelings hurt on this site he runs away crying after accusing everyone else of being too sensitive. Let's not forget the standard recital of resumes to remind everyone of how we should all bow down to the derogatory statements and arrogant attitudes that so many high level industry insiders seem to bring with them.Last I looked,racing specific threads,although informative and important are a small part of the overall Recreational and Expression oriented carving scene.Carving as it seems to be promoted by most members on this site,is about Fun and Friends first,skill development to enhance the fun level second,upgrading equipment to further enhance the fun factor third;and somewhere down the line is one's former or current racing resume.

I have been as guilty as anyone of delivering unsolicited advice in my chosen sports and have taken it personally when it seemed my years of experience should be worthy of more respect,but how can we be surprised if people don't jump for joy at snobby,arrogant statements that do damage to self esteem,discourage participation and lessen the fun factor of being involved in such a great past time.With all it's varying levels of intensity,the acceptance level of advice and information has more to do with how the information is delivered than the resume of who delivered it.

I'm sure this reply won't win me any friends among the elite,and I fully expect to get flamed into oblivion,but I've got my box of kleenex right next to the computer just in case.

lol, every time a propeller headed n00b on this site whines about something everyone tells him it's okay!

and if it were just fun then never ask advice about gear or technique because some are going to tell it like it is and not go, "ohh yeah, that k2 gyrator or burton PJ is a great board and these new boards fron the last twenty years are no better, just like the composite skis, they are totally just a little bit better than the old wood skis and edges are really not anything you need because it's just about fun"

I guess you guys don't care about performance or safety......