Note to New Members ×

BOL board out of the loop. Bordy out...

Bordy

Can you find a job in a ski resort that pays well enough to buy passes, coaching, gear, and travel expenses so you can compete and gives you flexible enough hours that you can spend 40+ hours a week training on the snow and gives you time off to travel to events around the country? It's possible, but not easy.

So he had no sponsors? Let's see, compare that to putting yourself through college. Sounds about the same in time management. $500 a quarter for books can be difficult thing to manage ontop of tuition. This is a situation where the grass is always greener, but the undeniable truth is that doesn't get calluses on his hands or have to mop up a 3rd graders vomit, he's doing what the rest of us count down the minutes at work waiting to do. +40 hours a week on the snow.... sounds like my vacation trip to Colorado.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone sounds jealous....

I already said I was envious in an earlier post. However, since I have a daughter now I could do something like that with all the travel, but 10 years ago I'd have been all about it. I've slept in my car and heated up canned food on the dash board defrost vents.

Cool, I liked your response. Let me say though that I wasn't making fun of Bordy for being a Pro. If anything I'm envious and I hold the highest reguard for him in that he made it. However, he needs to realize that we aren't all pro, and that in his world there are things at his disposal that the rest of us don't have and not to (I know you know him personally, but I don't) slam on those who have not. Fact is I hold my own in my part of the region (I still waste the current instructors at my local hill) and without being too boastful, in the last 10 years have never lost a competition or had the chance to ride with someone who pushed me. I'd probably find myself in the upper-middle of the pack out west, but the times of looking west are behind me. I'm a recreational carver (and where I'm from King of the Mountain) and that's all I'm looking for. If I ask a question about Titanial boards it's because I'm curious. Just like I'd ask for the forums sake wether or not a Ferrari could out corner Lotus. I carve to feed my need wether it be on a hundred dollar board or a thousand dollar board. And I post because I like to debate.

STILL MISSING THE POINT!

If I rode a slalom board I wouldn't actually "slalom", it'd be more freeriding. I have an oldschool Lucero with Indy 215's. I'd like to get a G&S longboard. Our skate shop only carries Sector 9 though.

What John was refering to was slalom racing with the pro's which is pretty much a given at any race you go to. The pro's often run the same course as the hacks like me and you get the privelage of their advice on how to go faster. As for buying a board there are no brick and mortor shops (well other than Allboardsports) that have a good stock of Slalom gear but a Ska8kings Axe 2.5would get you into slalom at a bargin. I shop for most skate related stuff online. As for racing I've raced once attended a couple and plan on racing again this summer (fells for sure maybe antrim if I can scrap the money up) but I throw cones down at least once a month (and usually 2-3 times) to train dodging cones is great off snow training

Why, is G&S cheap or did the manufacturer hurt someones feelings for not making snowboards anymore?
Nothing wrong with them I used to pass the wharehouse every day on my way home from work. G&S boards are just rather generic and oldschool (not in a good way) though the Fiberflex boards sure are nice

I never said it wasn't difficult, but come on, you couldn't compare being outside snowboarding and kiteboarding all year to say working a factory job everyday or janitorial work. I do one of my passions for a living, not my top passion but one down the list so nobody feel sorry for me either. As a photographer I've had the chance to do incredible things such as fly with the Golden Knights and ride in the presidential motorcade with "W". I'm sure Bordy doesn't regret a minute of his decision.

do you get paid?

I know many softbooter(there actually is sponsor money for them BTW) that could not make it, not because they were not good enough either it was because they did not have rich parents t pay for flights.

Look at skiers, the majority of the racing elite comes from well off back grounds except maybe Miller, it's a bitch to pay your own way doing it.

You said in college, yeah, if you were in college you obviously were not trying to make it in the industry because you'd of not had time for school.

You can think you were trying to make it doing whatever it is you wanted to do if you were in school then snowboarding was just a hobby.

Your statements are fine to post but just know that they are insulting to those of us that have given this industry full on attention this means running up debt, straining relationships with friends and family and so on. You did it while you were in college.

Lots of people try things in college like, being gay, drugs, extreme liberalism and the list goes on.

What John was refering to was slalom racing with the pro's which is pretty much a given at any race you go to. The pro's often run the same course as the hacks like me and you get the privelage of their advice on how to go faster. As for buying a board there are no brick and mortor shops (well other than Allboardsports) that have a good stock of Slalom gear but a Ska8kings Axe 2.5would get you into slalom at a bargin. I shop for most skate related stuff online. As for racing I've raced once attended a couple and plan on racing again this summer (fells for sure maybe antrim if I can scrap the money up) but I throw cones down at least once a month (and usually 2-3 times) to train dodging cones is great off snow training

We used to have a spot we could downhill but with the anti-skate movement strong in the midwest at the time they threw up speedbumps to keep criminals like myself and my friends from having fun. I still would occationally go down it, just had to ollie the bumps or absorb it.

So he had no sponsors? Let's see, compare that to putting yourself through college. Sounds about the same in time management. $500 a quarter for books can be difficult thing to manage ontop of tuition. This is a situation where the grass is always greener, but the undeniable truth is that doesn't get calluses on his hands or have to mop up a 3rd graders vomit, he's doing what the rest of us count down the minutes at work waiting to do. +40 hours a week on the snow.... sounds like my vacation trip to Colorado.

yeah, they generally work at home depot!

you act like people get a free ride and they don't. it's ****ing hard to do.

What he said. With little biot of research, you'll figure out that most of the race stock boards of many winning brands were made by... PRIOR! To name few: Burton, Rossi, Sims, Scott... Big companies are just too bysu with mass-production to fool around with custom boards for the racers.

That's where Burton trashing tread went a bit too far, where someone said that Burton race stock wasn't / isn't all that great either. It should be just as good as your modern standard construction Prior, as it was made by Prior.

this is partially right and partially wrong(according to someone formerly at burton) but yes there were both good boards that came out of prior factory and burton factory that both had 3d holes and were customs for racers

Who cares about chat page bravery? Why the hurt feelings? Why not continue posting and lose the rabbit ears? I don't know you, but you seem to have people that like and respect you.

Get over this! No more wahhhhhmbulances...

I wish the arguing would just stop. I mean does it really matter anymore? You can definitely tell that plenty of people miss the snow (including me), but I think the fighting needs to cease RIGHT NOW!

Let's all go to the gym and take our frustrations out on the machines. Sheesh!

Let's all go to the gym and take our frustrations out on the machines. Sheesh!

I was going to go windsurfing today but as ussual the weatherman changed his forecast from 10-20 mph wind to 5-10. I will be taking my inlines for cruise after some yard work. Gotta mow the grass!!!!!

welcome to the annual "Bordy is fed up with the pin heads..and bails" thread.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=17363&highlight=bordy+back

too bad there aren't more down to earth, hard charging, no BS types like BB here on BOL.

Bordy rips on old junk, kesslers, whatever.

If a sector 9 makes your freeriding fun, have at it. The guys ripping on old turners , raynes, pocket pistols, whatever....they won't make fun of your

sector 9 you got at the local surf/skate/snow shop.

:rolleyes:

GO REDSOX !

WW out !