Note to New Members ×

BOL board out of the loop. Bordy out...

Bordy

Although you haven't made any posts (sorry if you have, I just don't recall) directed towards me, you are clearly one of the biggest assets to the forum.

I haven't hardly been here a month, but you're clearly a guy who knows his stuff.

Echoing what Mr. Michaud said, please reconsider.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bordy, I don't doubt that you are full of great information, but I think you set yourself up to be belittled when you took your first response in that thread way beyond answering the question being asked.

It was nice of you to give your opinion of burton products and all but then you went on to criticize the riding of other people here on this forum who were only trying to give an example of the board being ridden in a way that some people would consider aggressive. That may not include the professional riders who post here, but to others aggressive is a little more calm.

My suggestion is that you read the original post of a thread, and then write your response if you feel like responding. After that go back and read what others have written and if you disagree with what they have to say it will have already shown up in your polite response.

You should also realize that an opinion is just that. Some may actually be better than others but unless you are the one asking for the opinion than you shouldn't be commenting on who's is better unless it ties in with your own and it's easy enough to make that clear without questioning other people.

I'm not sure if anything i just wrote makes any sense but I hope you do decide to stick around here because I enjoy reading your responses for the most part. Good luck with the new site either way.

Bordy, I hope you reconsider, take some time away from the board to let things go but please come back next season and add your much appreciated input on countless subjects when it comes to carving.

Your post inspired me to look up Tille to see when he last visited as I recall not seeing him around here for a period of time. It has been four weeks since Dave has visited here. I hope Dave has not taken the same route as a few other long time posters.

Hope to see you in the fall???? or at least your input here

May I suggest what has worked for me (not that I am on your level of experience)... and that is, I've learned over time that sometimes all you can do is just post your stuff and then ignore all responses that aren't direct, respectful questions regarding your post. (questions, not questioning) Let the readers sort out the signal from the noise. If they don't get it right, well, too bad. Caveat emptor. But I think there's enough people here who know your deal and will back you up.

100% true. People that understand and practice that may not gather as much attention from the trolls, but the silent observers (and there are lots of them!) pay more attention to their posts.

I do also agree with Steve P's points though, you shouldn't have to post your resume to get respect. Mix that with Jack's advice and you have a winner.

See you at the next SES Billy! :biggthump

Bordy, I don't doubt that you are full of great information, but I think you set yourself up to be belittled when you took your first response in that thread way beyond answering the question being asked.

It was nice of you to give your opinion of burton products and all but then you went on to criticize the riding of other people here on this forum who were only trying to give an example of the board being ridden in a way that some people would consider aggressive. That may not include the professional riders who post here, but to others aggressive is a little more calm.

My suggestion is that you read the original post of a thread, and then write your response if you feel like responding. After that go back and read what others have written and if you disagree with what they have to say it will have already shown up in your polite response.

You should also realize that an opinion is just that. Some may actually be better than others but unless you are the one asking for the opinion than you shouldn't be commenting on who's is better unless it ties in with your own and it's easy enough to make that clear without questioning other people.

I'm not sure if anything i just wrote makes any sense but I hope you do decide to stick around here because I enjoy reading your responses for the most part. Good luck with the new site either way.

it's not like the first time we had that go'round and it's basically the same people that cry when he's straight forward and tells the god's honest truth and when the ex burton rep or the people that love thinking they got a killer deal on that prime for 150 bucks on a prime and it's a good board cry about it he gets fustrated, people attack his credibility and question what the guy has dedicated his life to but when he questions their knowledge they say ohh well I've been a weekend warrior for three seasons and I know what I like best and probably know what a rider needs just as well as you because I put in allot of days when I am not in the office (about 10 year) so I know a thing or two.

It boggles my mind sometime, I'm not allowed to say caps suck without 20 ultra prime or oxygen owners saying caps are superior when in the real world this is not a question.

Bordy or anyone in the know can't say a design that was mediocre 15 years ago is totally craptastic today without getting a virtual flogging from people here that either don't know because they don't ride enough or instead of buying a new board they they will buy 3 used primes and think they're getting great stuff because it's cheap.

he's never said not to buy a prime on the basis that he doesn't like burton just to buy something either of the same vintage with a better design or something newer that has a better design which at this point is just about anything in production excluding the r-17s

You can't leave that is unless I get to post this summer the riencarnation of Fluffy the Cat!

I gave up years ago! And now I post non value added shnitzle! Its my way of sticking to the man! And a heck of a lot more fun!

I noticed a ton of new members on this forum, I don't trust them and don't know where they stand. So... For nowww. I'm gonna put googly eyes on them!

Wooww! That ones gotta go!

Christpher Walkin-SNL googly eyes skit 4/5/08. Said Shred

shred, LOTS of new members and that's why I hate seeing him go because I'd rather see people bicker a little than be slung crap and be informed on a purchase.

Most people here that are willing to spend the time and spend a little more for something that's way better, there are not a ton of riders that have been on 100s of boards and also ride at a world class level.

I don't ride at a world class level but I have ridden assloads of boards, not quite the same!

shred, LOTS of new members and that's why I hate seeing him go because I'd rather see people bicker a little than be slung crap and be informed on a purchase.

Most people here that are willing to spend the time and spend a little more for something that's way better, there are not a ton of riders that have been on 100s of boards and also ride at a world class level.

I don't ride at a world class level but I have ridden assloads of boards, not quite the same!

But, people on both side have valid points. Bordy should be respected for his experience and knowledge, and everyone deserves respect on here as individuals and should not have to roll over take digs or erogance because of a person's "status". As I've mentioned before, and it has either fallen on deaf ears or has just been ignored or not understood, I like many others don't have the money to spend on a new kessler or metal prior. In fact my budget for a new board was $100 which I gladdly paid for a used Alp. If you know of a $100 Donek or Virus I guess I missed it, but I really couldn't budget it and it was either an Alp or stay with my freeride board. I was personally offended to have comments such as, (and these are direct copy/paste from the before mentioned thread and they get worse as it progressed)...

“the burton stuff is a yugo”

“Burton boards are on the bottom of the totem pole”

“Did burton just abandon alpine? and are a bunch of people still pissed off about it? for sure.”

“In my opinion burton alpine boards suck for me”

“crappy burton boards”

“Money counts, BIG TIME!”

“You just have to pay to play”

“Money does count”

“Look- if the budget isn't right... for anyone here... I suggest getting into slalom skateboarding” (my interpretation, take your $100 and buy a skateboard instead of that Alp cause carving doesn't need you.)

“turn it into a bench or burn it” (this reminds me of something said to me on another forum)

“If you burn it, I will send you $10 if you post a video”

“in for $10 or the burton bonfire!”

On another forum (noone from here) I had a member tell me to take my equipment and throw it in the trash because I'd be better of staying home then riding what I had. Stop and think about that and go back and read the direct quotes I posted. Why is carving a niche? Maybe it has to do with this. A lot of people on this site are here because it's fun, they're "addicted", it's what they like to do when they aren't at their day job. I'd also add that I find it difficult to feel sorry for a man who has been paid to spend his entire life following his passion. I don't want him to go but if he's going to throw a tantrum I'm not going to kiss his a**, he's a grown man and can deside for himself. I do think that this forum would be better off WITH him than without him.

It sucks to see good people leave because of a few rotten apples... I know there is a lot of people like me that post once in a while on bomber but comes everyday and READ and appreciate all the information and experience that you guys are posting. I know without all these technical post on bomber my riding would be as good as it is today and it doesn't matter who does post it. I try and keep what works for me. I like reading about everything, board constrution, riding technique, bindings....

All the time and effort of your post is really appreciated... just look at the read count when a post is made by you. I have 20-25 people reading my posts and you get crazy numbers.

Cheers !

I'd also add that I find it difficult to feel sorry for a man who has been paid to spend his entire life following his passion.

"Paid" his whole life to follow his passion? How many people do you personally know who've tried to make a living off of the snowsports industry? (On snow - riding, racing, instructing, coaching....) They don't do it because the get "Paid" to do it, they do it for the love of the sport.

There are very few people in the industry who get "Paid" enough "following their passion" to make an actual living...

Oh, and BTW, I LOVE burton boards... (I sold all of mine to collectors. I wish I still had them.... to hang on the wall!)

Dang , bob.. MY non value added attempt at humor ...Foiled again!

I guess you just have to see the skit from this weekend..to really see the humor....thats all..:freak3:

"Indoor Gardening tips from a man who is afraid of Plants"

Wowwww... Right to my knoggin..!

Shred said ..................................?:smashfrea

"Paid" his whole life to follow his passion? How many people do you personally know who've tried to make a living off of the snowsports industry? (On snow - riding, racing, instructing, coaching....) They don't do it because the get "Paid" to do it, they do it for the love of the sport.

There are very few people in the industry who get "Paid" enough "following their passion" to make an actual living...

Oh, and BTW, I LOVE burton boards... (I sold all of mine to collectors. I wish I still had them.... to hang on the wall!)

yeah, from the the shop reps to the big time riders no one is in it for the money unless you're shawn white or a select few jibbers no one is making much from being a pro. when it comes to alpine riders to compete even if they are winning world cups year after year it's a great way to run up debt or barely break even if that.

Still Photodad, you're not getting the point though it has nothing to the amount of money a burton costs, there have been f2s, nideckers, volkls and other neat little boards going for less than $200 here from time to time.

In the end grabbing something you're not gonna out grow next week is worth having, it's hard to pick up a decent softboot ride or skis for less than that either.

Dang , bob.. MY non value added attempt at humor ...Foiled again!

I guess you just have to see the skit from this weekend..to really see the humor....thats all..:freak3:

"Indoor Gardening tips from a man who is afraid of Plants"

Wowwww... Right to my knoggin..!

Shred said ..................................?:smashfrea

lol, sorry

When I post, I don't know what's in your personal board collection. So, if I tell you I dislike Burton boards (which I don't), it's meant as an opinion and not as a personal attack against your quiver. Same thing goes for my opinion on cars, women, stand-up comedians and fishing boats.

When you feel you're being dissed, just remember:

You're Good Enough, You're Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like You

post-199-141842256028_thumb.jpg

Unless a better deal comes around on ebay, then I'll have another kick-ass season on that snowboard!!!!!!!

Who needs ebay, there's some really good chit in the Classifieds right now. It's killing me not to pull the trigger on those Doneks.

Oh I got on it about ten years ago, and have yet to get off it. Now, If I had been like the rest and decided to put myself if awkward body positioning, like seperating my knees for instance, I would probably fold my nose, like others complain of. I've never actually had that happen.

Guest JohnBauer

On one hand, there's nothing like a good, goodbye post. See ya!

Bordy wants to be treated like racing elite. Maybe if he made the Olympic team or got some podiums in a few big races, he'd get the royal treatment. As it is, Bordy was a jouneyman in pro racing. The average Joe doesn't know about the journeyman pro in ANY sport.

Unless you're on the Olympic team or make boards that I want to buy, I could care less about your resume. How do I even know if that resume is factual? Because if you Google Billy Bordy, not a whole lot comes up. For the other hotshots, include a video of you ripping it up in your signature. Otherwise, how's the average Joe going to know who's a respectable rider?

Bordy can't handle criticism, so he's going to his own sandbox, where he can make the rules. Good luck with that. Now he can moderate anyone that questions his "awesomeness".

On the other hand, Bordy's posts got me motivated enough to try out a metal board. Then I bought a metal board.

Bordy's review on the Swoard is probably the biggest reason why I didn't buy a Swoard.

Bordy is also the first one that brought the Dupraz to my attention. That board is probably next on my buy list.

Bordy has probably been the most influential poster on BOL in regards to my personal purchasing decisions. So I'll have to occasionally lurk on the Hardbooter site.

I've learned to ignore worthless posts by kids, skiers, softbooters and wannabe carvers on $100 alpine boards. Too bad Bordy can't learn the same.

Now someone else needs to use "silly", "input" and “real world” on every post they write.