Note to New Members ×

BOL board out of the loop. Bordy out...

Bordy

Most people will not understand that you come from the upper end of riding, that when you critique equipment it is from the standpoint of using it hard, and finding design flaws the hard way. I can deal with opinionated from someone like that. The fools that cannot, well, what else can be said that hasn't already. You are an asset, losing your input is a liability. One more site member no longer in the silent group.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Photodad, you need to stop.

If the environment and community for carving is such an issue, take a look at the X on the top right corner of your window. It says "If you have problems, click me. You're only on the internet"

We know there are alternatives that get more recommendations than our Burton boards, they are higher quality than our Burton boards, the noses don't fold up and fling us into the air, they don't have plastic bindings, or use weird patterns like 3D. They weren't mediocre in their prime, they aren't extremely outdated. They don't have AM flex patterns with a wannabe slalom shape. They can be had for the same price as a Burton, and will most likely ride better.

But guess what? You can carve on a Burton, and that's what we are all here for. Sounds like you have a board you can carve on, so what's wrong now?

Stop complaining, dig some trenches.

DRAMA ? on the internet ?

nooooooooooo :rolleyes:

Boardy, never met you, but I've read a lot of your post and have gained a lot of insight from them, so FWIW, you made me a better gate racer in the past few years ;)

I'm fairly fast, and everyone tells me it would be a good race, so I hope we get to meet up at some point and see if I can keep up with you !

:lurk: Either way, Don't be a stranger on BOL (or other forums). Just do your thing, and know that you are putting out a "good product". Peole will complaign about anything... just ignore um.

Cheers,

D.

"Paid" his whole life to follow his passion? How many people do you personally know who've tried to make a living off of the snowsports industry? (On snow - riding, racing, instructing, coaching....) They don't do it because the get "Paid" to do it, they do it for the love of the sport.

There are very few people in the industry who get "Paid" enough "following their passion" to make an actual living...

Oh, and BTW, I LOVE burton boards... (I sold all of mine to collectors. I wish I still had them.... to hang on the wall!)

You're talking to one who TRIED! I wanted to make a lifestyle out of my passion for the sport. I instructed for 5 years and it was nothing more than a seasonal job while I was in college.

When I post, I don't know what's in your personal board collection. So, if I tell you I dislike Burton boards (which I don't), it's meant as an opinion and not as a personal attack against your quiver. Same thing goes for my opinion on cars, women, stand-up comedians and fishing boats.

When you feel you're being dissed, just remember:

You're Good Enough, You're Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like You

I respect that, but if you tell me "money matters" or "spend or go home" then I'm not the one with the problem.

I've learned to ignore worthless posts by kids, skiers, softbooters and wannabe carvers on $100 alpine boards. Too bad Bordy can't learn the same.

I'm sorry you're so one dimensional. I personally like to live life to it's fullest and can't afford to put all my funds into one particular venue. It's talk like this that turns people away and you elitists can suck up to each other all you want. I'm not going to go running away because somebody "hurt my feelings". I've never heard of Bordy before comeing to this site and I'm not here to "talk to professionals". I also don't go to Trek convensions to get photos and autographs. I also don't stereotype myself as a "hardbooter" or "jibber". I do all aspects of snowboarding and I also partisipate in windsurfing, wakeboarding, skateboarding (oldschool freestyle, street, and half), inline skating, skimboarding, and other activities outside of this "niche" (which is starting to smell stale, not that I'm going to quit because I'm here for the partisipation and I love to get a bunch of stiffs wound up).

This is starting to sound like my art appreciation class that I had in college with a bunch of pipe smoking profs. All I want to do is carve on my hundred dollar board and for the uptights to get off my back. You wanna see who can pee the furthest then call my next winter.

You're talking to one who TRIED! I wanted to make a lifestyle out of my passion for the sport. I instructed for 5 years and it was nothing more than a seasonal job while I was in college.

If it was nothing more than a seasonal job while in college then you really didn't TRY to make a career out of it. Don't "Make fun" of someone who has acutally made sacrifices and made a career out of it (by working 2 or 3 jobs, racing, etc. to get by.....).

On another note, and back on topic, Bordy has told me to my face that some of my favorite boards and bindings suck. I don't take it personal, 'cause it's Bordy, and that's the way he is. He states his opinion without and fluff or BS. And again, it's his OPINION. Saying that Burton's suck, and that there is better stuff out there is not a personal attack on those of you who own Burton boards. Bordy tells me my favorite stuff sucks, I say ok, and go ride it anyway, and it's fun.

Don't worry, I imagine he'll be back at some point to tell us all that our gear sucks. Some of us will giggle, and think "That's the Billy I know", others of us will pout and complain and start a flame-war.

As Billy would say: Go Fast Don't Fall.

I say: have fun doing it......

:lurk:

Well, according to you, this place is loaded with elitists.

If you want to carve without anyone on your back, stop posting.

Otherwise, regardless of what you do on a forum, you're asking for a comment.

Actually all those copy/paste quotes were only by 3. I think there's a few more than that in here. And I want replies. That's what a forum is. Different views, different takes on a subject. If everyone agreed and were all "yes" men it'd be boring.

If it was nothing more than a seasonal job while in college then you really didn't TRY to make a career out of it. Don't "Make fun" of someone who has acutally made sacrifices and made a career out of it (by working 2 or 3 jobs, racing, etc. to get by.....).

On another note, and back on topic, Bordy has told me to my face that some of my favorite boards and bindings suck. I don't take it personal, 'cause it's Bordy, and that's the way he is. He states his opinion without and fluff or BS. And again, it's his OPINION. Saying that Burton's suck, and that there is better stuff out there is not a personal attack on those of you who own Burton boards. Bordy tells me my favorite stuff sucks, I say ok, and go ride it anyway, and it's fun.

Don't worry, I imagine he'll be back at some point to tell us all that our gear sucks. Some of us will giggle, and think "That's the Billy I know", others of us will pout and complain and start a flame-war.

As Billy would say: Go Fast Don't Fall.

I say: have fun doing it......

:lurk:

Cool, I liked your response. Let me say though that I wasn't making fun of Bordy for being a Pro. If anything I'm envious and I hold the highest reguard for him in that he made it. However, he needs to realize that we aren't all pro, and that in his world there are things at his disposal that the rest of us don't have and not to (I know you know him personally, but I don't) slam on those who have not. Fact is I hold my own in my part of the region (I still waste the current instructors at my local hill) and without being too boastful, in the last 10 years have never lost a competition or had the chance to ride with someone who pushed me. I'd probably find myself in the upper-middle of the pack out west, but the times of looking west are behind me. I'm a recreational carver (and where I'm from King of the Mountain) and that's all I'm looking for. If I ask a question about Titanial boards it's because I'm curious. Just like I'd ask for the forums sake wether or not a Ferrari could out corner Lotus. I carve to feed my need wether it be on a hundred dollar board or a thousand dollar board. And I post because I like to debate.

But you seem to have so many issues with people having different views about your Burton. You view it as I do: I cheap way to dig trenches.

You seem to think it's a horrible deal when someone says that you'd be better off on a used Speedster.

Not at all, I know a 10 year old Burton couldn't stand up to todays boards. I've never owned a board that's year started with a 2, even after my last purchase. But year to year I believe Burton held it's own. In 95 what was on the top of the podium?

I'm all about economy, espeically since the current "economy" is "in the trenches".

I have a problem when people say the things that were at the bottom of my quote list.

“Money counts, BIG TIME!”

“You just have to pay to play”

“Money does count”

“Look- if the budget isn't right... for anyone here... I suggest getting into slalom skateboarding” (my interpretation, take your $100 and buy a skateboard instead of that Alp cause carving doesn't need you.)

“turn it into a bench or burn it”

Edit: To the comment about buying a slalom skateboard, ....Have you been to Ohio? I drive an hour and a half to get to the highest point in the state and it's a hill with a 300 ft. vertical to snowboard, and there's not a road at the top.

In 95 what was on the top of the podium?

it sure as hell wasn't a burton that you could have bought - Race stock has nothing to do with the crap they sell to the masses,

Now, if you look a Billy's anti-EC video from a few years ago and, more recently, the pics from retro day at ECES, I is pretty obvious that a good rider can make any board carve, and look good doing it. But, most of us involved rode those boards when they were new and remembered the technique. Riding a 17 inch stance asym from 1991 is certainly doable, but let me tell you from firsthand experience, I have never wanted my modern boards so badly as when I ws strapped into that dinosaur. Sure, you can ride it and look good, but the difference in ride is night and day.

Would EVERY SINGLE RIDER out there benefit from modern equipment? YES.

Can everyone afford it? NO

Just 'cause your current financial situation doesn't allow you to have new equipment does not mean it's not better. I'm still lusting for one of these: F4CC_01.jpg

but I can't afford a $120,000 bike... doesn't mean my bonneville is a piece of crap, just that it's not in the same class.

I'd also add that I find it difficult to feel sorry for a man who has been paid to spend his entire life following his passion.

Here you display utter ignorance of the life and dedication of a professional athlete. I tried it for two years and bailed because I just couldn't make ends meet. I respect anyone who had the discipline and dedication to make it through the lean years and get to a point where he can make a living doing what they love.

But I for one would prefer if you lurked about and continued giving advice. You are one of the few who gives useful advice.

Re the Burton thing I only know about boards that I actually rode or owned. In the beginning I met Jake, borrowed a board and for years was 100% Burton, it was a personal loyalty thing. I broke my first Cruzer (inserts ripped out) but it was replaced no questions under warranty. Only other thing I broke was Flex bindings on my M6. That made me switch to plates but I never tried Burton plates.

The key reason why I stopped buying Burton was the 3-hole insert pattern. I just can't be bothered with a non-standard insert pattern.

But I was never a racer and I've never ridden any of their race decks. So I have no opinion on their alpine offerings.

Anyway whatever, do what you've go to do.

Happy trails ! :D

I just got home from a trip and was reading over the thread about crappy burton snowboards that suck ass, with the Ignorant comments about snowboards and snowboarding as always on this site. I think I have had enough. Like almost every other pro who has tried to bring this web site any form of real input based on the current level of alpine snowboarding(thats the one in the real world not the made up one online).

As I stand with my jaw on the ground reading comments from riders with a year or less of riding or even better from skiers. Not only toward me but towards other long time members of the alpine community. I am as always amazed by the true ignorance from these riders-posters. . . . Since a long time pro like myself always has to "defend their statements". . . . .

Since most of my pers in the sport consider me to be an expert in my field I think I am done wasting my time on a board where a few riders with a year or two on snow think they should be providing me with advise on how to "post on a snowboard forum". Negating any true world respect I have earned. . . I have decided that if someone with my level of experance . . . .

I'll continue to only share my info with the industry only. I used to see my post on BOL as a way to help out the little guys and girls directly. Since its obvious some of you choose not to understand or respect what I have done indirectly over the past 20 years. . . .

I will continue to promote alpine snowboarding to the Masses via a format that will be more condusive to promoting the growth of the sport with out input from uneducated riders jading the valuble information provided by myself and the curent staff of Alpine Pioneers I assembled for just this task. . . .

Perhaps its a good omen that the BOL board has grown to a point where the new posters, riders and contributors feel as though their alpine knowledge is vast enough to contribute positivley to the sport. As well as experanced enough to qualf and belittle expert opinions. . . .

I however feel my time waisted here on BOL should be spent instead promoting the sport at the level I am involed instead of tring to "Bring the BOL board into the know" . . . .

I thought for the most part that posts in the Burton bashing thread you mentioned was handled by most in a fairly mature manner.

I do remember seeing ONE whole post which questioned your motivations, something to me at least seems fair. And a couple others, mine included, questioning the level of hate and exaggerated bashing that surely seemed to be launched by some at long out of production Burton product and those who think said product isn't nearly as bad as the automotive eqivalate of a yugo.

After all, do not most "Experts" have their detractors? I would not expect you to wonder into my "pro" level area of expertise of the least 35 years, know & respect my reputation and except what may seem to you as my exaggerated trashing & bashing of an 20+ year industry sales leader without question.

Clearly I am not alone in thinking you should reconsider "leaving" BOL "because of the ignorance of some people" because like others have said and I agree, the majority of people here on BOL seem to be good folks. I too would rather see you continue to share your experiance. Perhaps some are not willing to toss their opinions/brand preferances aside as fast as you might desire, but that's part of the educational process... and more importantly, that's life.

btw, where does a guy like you go to buy hats :confused:

:D

Not at all, I know a 10 year old Burton couldn't stand up to todays boards. . . . .

I have a problem when people say the things that were at the bottom of my quote list.

“Money counts, BIG TIME!”

“You just have to pay to play”

“Money does count”

“Look- if the budget isn't right... for anyone here... I suggest getting into slalom skateboarding” (my interpretation, take your $100 and buy a skateboard instead of that Alp cause carving doesn't need you.)

“turn it into a bench or burn it”

Edit: To the comment about buying a slalom skateboard, ....Have you been to Ohio? I drive an hour and a half to get to the highest point in the state and it's a hill with a 300 ft. vertical to snowboard, and there's not a road at the top.

:D:D:D

It was the "silly" automotive analogy exaggerations comparing the old Burtons to a yugo vs the new priordonekcoilerf2's being a Ferrari

That got me involved, and then as they continued the exaggerations, to cost a few folks a couple respect points with me

This being because I think that ANYONE who "knows" would instead say that the old Burton FPs & UPs are Much more like the old GM F-Bodys (Camaro/Firebird for those that "aren't in the loop", long out of production, discontinued models which even in thier prime were old tech and cleary not the best performance cars on the road. heck, they weren't even 'sports cars', but STILL Hundreds of thousands of folks loved/love them and continue to enjoy driving them despite their performance limitations)

Thank you for excusing my mullet; rant off :D:D:D

{EDIT: Sounds like Snow Trails @ 'Mount' Mansfield or Mad River 'Mountain' in Bellefountain you describing with that 300' vert there, LOL }

it sure as hell wasn't a burton that you could have bought - Race stock has nothing to do with the crap they sell to the masses

What he said. With little biot of research, you'll figure out that most of the race stock boards of many winning brands were made by... PRIOR! To name few: Burton, Rossi, Sims, Scott... Big companies are just too bysu with mass-production to fool around with custom boards for the racers.

That's where Burton trashing tread went a bit too far, where someone said that Burton race stock wasn't / isn't all that great either. It should be just as good as your modern standard construction Prior, as it was made by Prior.

+1

I got a chance to meet Bordy this year at SES and I for one thought he was pretty funny. Not only can he ride and rides like a mad man (from what I heard) I also know he is a very sweet person. BTW Bordy I loved the orange one piece. You've inspired me to rock the one piece next year :)

I do hope you come back though and just ignore the trash talk. It's called jealousy and envy.

Stay strong! God Speed my fellow carver! See you next year at SES, this time we'll get a chance to ride together. Just don't take me hucking off a cliff though :P

Don't know about anyone else, but i'm looking forward to the day Bordy comes back.:)

Here you display utter ignorance of the life and dedication of a professional athlete. I tried it for two years and bailed because I just couldn't make ends meet. I respect anyone who had the discipline and dedication to make it through the lean years and get to a point where he can make a living doing what they love.

I never said it wasn't difficult, but come on, you couldn't compare being outside snowboarding and kiteboarding all year to say working a factory job everyday or janitorial work. I do one of my passions for a living, not my top passion but one down the list so nobody feel sorry for me either. As a photographer I've had the chance to do incredible things such as fly with the Golden Knights and ride in the presidential motorcade with "W". I'm sure Bordy doesn't regret a minute of his decision.

Slalom races can be held in a parking lot, a bike path or a soap box derby hill. The Buckeye 3.0 was held in Columbus, Ohio, last year I would assume that it will be held again.

I never said it wasn't difficult, but come on, you couldn't compare being outside snowboarding and kiteboarding all year to say working a factory job everyday or janitorial work.

In a lot of ways, factory or janitorial work is an easy way out. Not that it's not hard work, but you do what your boss says to do and you know how much you'll be paid for it.

Being an athlete means first of all keeping yourself in top shape and practicing, and second of all selling yourself and your image to sponsors who will pay your bills. most people cannot get enough $$ from sponsors and have to work where and when they can.

Can you find a job in a ski resort that pays well enough to buy passes, coaching, gear, and travel expenses so you can compete and gives you flexible enough hours that you can spend 40+ hours a week training on the snow and gives you time off to travel to events around the country? It's possible, but not easy.