Note to New Members ×

Elderly guy has experience of a lifetime...

patmoore

If you can indulge me for a moment I'd like to share something that probably belongs in the racing category. I just got back from Steamboat and my fourth trip to the NASTAR Nationals (1100+ competitors). I've had success on my board in the past but could never finish higher than 8th place in skiing. Last year I missed the event with two broken ribs and pneumonia and I set my goal this year to make the podium in both events. There were 3 snowboard racers and 13 ski racers in my category (men's 60-64 Gold Division). After the first of two days of competition I had the lead in boarding and was in 2nd in skiing. I smoked my first ski run on Saturday and thought I might have a chance to overtake the leader. The results weren't known until the awards ceremony that night. They called my name - twice! 1984 Olympic GS Gold Medalist Deb Armstrong gave me the Gold Medal for Boarding and my hero Phil Mahre gave me the second Gold for skiing. I was told it was the first double National Title in NASTAR history. At Sunday's Race of Champions I ran the ski course first and, for a stretch of a couple dozen racers had the fastest raw time. The big guns ran later but I'm pleased to have wound up 20th fastest overall in the competition. The snowboard course was steep and icy so I took a conservative approach and pushed it at the bottom. Scott Maynard was clearly the class of that field and wowed the crowd with his run. Who was in the crowd? Watching and congratulating were (in addition to Phil Mahre and Deb Armstrong) Billy Kidd, Chad Fleischer, Kaylin Richardson, and AJ Kitt. They couldn't have been more friendly and seemed genuinely pleased to be there signing autographs and posing for photos. Early in the week I began posting an online diary and wrapped it with an online photo album. In this post I'll just share two shots - one taken with the charismatic and very speedy Franz Fuchsberger and the other my finish in Race of Champions.

rtmdc5.jpg

2dsme0l.jpg

I was asked a lot which I preferred and always replied "boarding"!

Best of luck to all of you heading for the USASA Nationals. Next year consider joining me at NASTAR as well.

Thanks everyone! I still can't wipe the silly grin off my face.

Suh-weet! I'd be nearly drunk from an experience like that. Almost dreamlike. I'm gonna be at Killington & Okemo at e.o.m begin of April. You?

I put in a call to the Race Director to find out if our NASTAR course will still be open and I have to work. If so, I'll try to haul out the triangular panels and set one course with snowboard gates the next two weekends. I'll post a note in here if the gates will be set.

Big props tp you Pat that is a great achievement. Maybe the multi national speed suit had something to do with it! LOL Just kidding but cool suit.

Ironically I won TWO new Descente GS suits out there. My roommate already bought the spare one.

Racing both never occurred to me....great idea and even a better result! Awesome!

It's the fourth time of done it. Logistically it's a bit of a hassle on Friday because you have to be in two places at the same time. I hauled everything up the mountain and stored my plug ski boots in the NASTAR shack to keep them warm.

I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

hi Pat wow big wow.

you might remember me we have met before

If not thats ok.

I used to be known as Chase Kenyon

past lead snowboard instructor at Sunapee and then Ragged and before that the ski wee supervisor at King ridge for 12 years.

Some times as we get older, we just get faster as we learn not to waste any muscle energy.

Good form in the pics as usual.

TTFN]]\\!!!!!

Grandfather Wolf

(Mom was born on the Mohawk rez)

Wow. Major Props, Pat!

hmmm...skis in the gates.....maybe a time for a 2 sport comeback...:eplus2:

Do it!!!!!

PS: are you going to be at Okemo this Saturday? I'm thinking of going, and I was also thinking of trying out the gates (for the first time) to help manage some of my balls-related issues.

I'll be at Okemo's NASTAR course Fri, Sat, and Sun from 10 - 2 other than potty breaks. I had taken the snowboard gates to storage when I headed out west but I'll be happy to set 'em up again if folks want to come and run gates. On Fridays I only set a single course and that has to be ski gates but we should have snowboard gates on Saturday and Sunday. I have a call into our race director to determine how much longer we'll extend the NASTAR season.
congrats pat! you are fitter than me for sure, and an inspirating sportsman!

Nils

Nils, I'm in awe of what you can do on a board!
That's awesome, but I certainly wouldn't call you an elderly guy, especially if you can do all that.

Now you need to add mogul competition, halfpipe, ski jumping, and boardercross. Okay, maybe not moguls -- gotta save those knees.

You're right - knees (and the lack of skill) preclude the moguls but I have done the rest. Only went off one ski jump in 1959 but I've done a couple boardercross events. Did my one and only halfpipe competition at 58. My life's pursuits have been a little off beat - much to the amusement of my grown kids. Some of these photos you may have seen before.

Some times as we get older, we just get faster as we learn not to waste any muscle energy.

Hi Grandfather Wolf. Great philosophy!

Awesome!

Considering the fact I DIDN'T get to even a single race this year for USASA, you above and beyond represented for sure !

at double my present age, I hope to be racing still when I'm there to replace you in 30 years........... but I;ll never do double classes....

I just don't do the ski thing!

Congrats again ! gives me hopes to be boarding for many more years :)

Hey Pat,

Congrats, on your extreme success. I guess you know how to turn right and left! I know the thrill of ski racing although it has been a few years. And I even use to race against the guy in the photo with you, Franz Fuchsberger. I lived in Vail, CO. a few years back and he was the man! He even beat Felix McGrath when he was in his prime at Beaver Creek. You must be pleased with how well you did? Did you think you could do it? O' what a feeling!! It might be tough to top that, but do it again next year. Everyone will be gunning for you! Because now your the man!

So train hard!

Best of luck! Brett

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Pat,

Congrats, on your extreme success. I guess you know how to turn right and left! I know the thrill of ski racing although it has been a few years. And I even use to race against the guy in the photo with you, Franz Fuchsberger. I lived in Vail, CO. a few years back and he was the man! He even beat Felix McGrath when he was in his prime at Beaver Creek. You must be pleased with how well you did? Did you think you could do it? O' what a feeling!! It might be tough to top that, but do it again next year. Everyone will be gunning for you! Because now your the man!

So train hard!

Best of luck! Brett

Thanks Brett. Sorry I didn't spot your post earlier. Franz is a very friendly gregarious guy and one heck of a racer.

Not sure how next year will come out but I'm sure looking forward to it!