Note to New Members ×

Is yoga sexy or just what hippies do?

skipuppy

I grew up in the hippieland of Sonoma County (the local news is called The Bohemian) and my town outlawed nukes and legalized women walking around topless. A few years back in the movies yoga was still pictured as one of those down-to-earthy I-talk-slow-because-I'm-centered artistic things. I have no clue how it is viewed in urban areas (I didn't quite grow up in one) and whether its seen as a sexy metropolitan activity or not.

So what do people think of yoga? (other than that its incredibly healthy, difficult and produces amazing bods)

Mmmmm... Flexibility......

I still think it's one of those hippie things. I'm pretty traditional though. I'm not a fan of piercings on guys and think that yes and no are perfectly good answers to nearly every question.

As stated above though, the hippie thing isn't necessarily bad.

well here in Bay Area its widely accepted as a "normal" thing to do for both girls and guys. And when I lived in Boston about 5-6 years ago it was also gaining popularity - there was even a good studio run by a guy in Somerville...now in South Florida Yogo is a whole other story :rolleyes: only the supermodel's on south beach do it...the rest of the population thinks its hippie and weird.

I think there really is a regional difference in how it's perceived. I can tell you that anywhere in Texas but Austin or maybe North Dallas, it would be considered a bit fringe by many people. (I can hear it now: "Yoga? Does that mean you're not a Christian?" )

Here in NYC, it seems like every person I see on the sidewalk is smoking--which blows my mind. Not sure if they're doing yoga here between cigarettes.

The hippie-dippy places I've lived (Burlington, VT and Boulder, CO) are of course totally into it. (In Boulder, I got so sick of seeing people do tai-chi in the park I fantasized about using a paintgun on them.) DC? Pretty much just the soccer moms is my impression. Most of the guys there equate going to a yoga class with wearing a beret (of the non-military type).

There's no debate that it's great for flexibility and general health. And yeah, some of those yoga chicks look really good, as Sinecure said. But for me as a guy to actually go to the class with all those gals? I'm self-conscious enough when I stink up the gym on the treadmill. The group aspect and the (optional?) metaphysical mumbo-jumbo don't do it for me. (By the way, I sell propane and propane accessories.) But I'd probably do it in the privacy of my home. Hell, I stretch a lot, and I'm pretty sure I'm breathing the whole time; is that yoga? Or do I have to balance on my head and pulsate my chakra?

I say, if it makes people happy, that's great. Diff'rent strokes and all that. Just don't do it in a public park, because there's this potato gun on eBay...

I think there really is a regional difference in how it's perceived. I can tell you that anywhere in Texas but Austin or maybe North Dallas, it would be considered a bit fringe by many people. (I can hear it now: "Yoga? Does that mean you're not a Christian?" )

Here in NYC, it seems like every person I see on the sidewalk is smoking--which blows my mind. Not sure if they're doing yoga here between cigarettes.

The hippie-dippy places I've lived (Burlington, VT and Boulder, CO) are of course totally into it. (In Boulder, I got so sick of seeing people do tai-chi in the park I fantasized about using a paintgun on them.) DC? Pretty much just the soccer moms is my impression. Most of the guys there equate going to a yoga class with wearing a beret (of the non-military type).

There's no debate that it's great for flexibility and general health. And yeah, some of those yoga chicks look really good, as Sinecure said. But for me as a guy to actually go to the class with all those gals? I'm self-conscious enough when I stink up the gym on the treadmill. The group aspect and the (optional?) metaphysical mumbo-jumbo don't do it for me. (By the way, I sell propane and propane accessories.) But I'd probably do it in the privacy of my home. Hell, I stretch a lot, and I'm pretty sure I'm breathing the whole time; is that yoga? Or do I have to balance on my head and pulsate my chakra?

I say, if it makes people happy, that's great. Diff'rent strokes and all that. Just don't do it in a public park, because there's this potato gun on eBay...

funny Jose:lol:

The last time I rolled into manhattan at 7am on a wednesday I remember seeing some really old looking chinese women doin' the tai chi in a park and thought...wow, that's pretty cool.

boyyyyyo !Ever see Irish Yoga ?

I think poledancing should be a required course along with Yoga. Might as well know how to ride that pole once I get it installed in the bedroom:biggthumpand get limbered up before trying out those new yoga moves. :D

Carmen Electra sells this DVD.....it's great

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G7FYFGi1Vw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G7FYFGi1Vw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

post-123-141842253835_thumb.jpg

post-123-141842253837_thumb.jpg

I have always stretched a lot, but I started doing yoga a few years ago due to chronic back pain. I tried everything else and figured I'd try yoga too. It didn't help my back much (actually, some poses irritated my back) but it did improve my balance and flexibility and even strength quite a bit.

One thing to realize is that there are many styles of yoga. Some types are mostly holding poses which stretch and tone the body, some types are more meditative and breathing, some types give an intense cardio workout along with improving balance and flexibility, and so on.

For those who say that it is just stretching, that is basically true for many styles of yoga. However, yoga really concentrates on proper alignment of the body, especially the spine. This was the most important thing I learned from yoga, discovering that a lot of the stretching I was doing was being done with poor alignment/posture. Since I have scoliosis, this was very important for me. For this reason I recommend taking some yoga classes with a good instructor rather than just buying some videos. I did a couple of 8-week class sessions with an instructor that made sure the students were doing things right. Now I have a few yoga videos that I do now and then. I still do my regular stretching routine after running or cycling or snowboarding, but I now do it thinking about proper alignment rather than just how far I can stretch.

And pilates is a great core workout. It is the one thing that actually did help my back pain.

I will admit that at times I find myself distracted when I'm taking a Yoga class it's the nature of being a straight man I guess but I've never thought yoga was only for hippies...the best yogo class I ever attended? 3 blocks from University of Hawaii Manoa not only was the instructor awesome but I was the only guy straight or otherwise

I will admit that at times I find myself distracted when I'm taking a Yoga class it's the nature of being a straight man I guess but I've never thought yoga was only for hippies...the best yogo class I ever attended? 3 blocks from University of Hawaii Manoa not only was the instructor awesome but I was the only guy straight or otherwise

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

http://lindasyoga.blogspot.com/2007/08/inappropriate-yoga-guy.html

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtWcb0bcA-A&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtWcb0bcA-A&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

OK first and foremost I was not then nor have I even been a SNAG...for one I don't have the hair for it:( and two my wife would have killed me on the spot had I any pretensions of being metro. I went to that yoga studio because it was cheap, on my way home and had classes every hour from 12pm to 10pm with different instructors. I could pretty much drop in on a class any day of the work week. I should also say that there were occasionally other guys like me inflexible surfer skater types) attending but usually around diner time not mid afternoon.

But it just made me surly and act inapropiatly. My wife and I where going to a gym together a few years ago, and she agreed to do the meathead lifting I wanted to do if I took yoga classes with her. We went to classes that were taught by older boulder hippy chicks, and soon found myself, a deceptively flexible barrelchested bhuddabellied meat head, in the unlikely role of teachers favorite. Well, I have trouble keeping my wiseass sarcastic new jersey attitude in check to begin with, and yoga seemed to make it worse. As the classes progressed, I started asking my wife in my best north jersey guido voice soft enough so only she could hear, things like "my bawls, what am I supposed to do with my bawls" in any pose that was uncomfortable, or changing "nameste " to "oh*****'*a", causing my honey to break into giggles and get dirty looks from those around us. This, and a few incidents with clueless pedestrians from the burbs in the "big city" post class led us to rethink the relationship between myself and yoga.

somethings are better left alone,

mario

I grew up in the hippieland of Sonoma County (the local news is called The Bohemian) and my town outlawed nukes and legalized women walking around topless. A few years back in the movies yoga was still pictured as one of those down-to-earthy I-talk-slow-because-I'm-centered artistic things. I have no clue how it is viewed in urban areas (I didn't quite grow up in one) and whether its seen as a sexy metropolitan activity or not.

So what do people think of yoga? (other than that its incredibly healthy, difficult and produces amazing bods)

It's for sexy hippies!:biggthump

I'm not sure if "sexy or not" is really the question. Yoga and stretching in general can do a lot for general fitness and resistance to injury. My physical therapy for cycling-induced knee pain last summer was about 50% stretching and 50% resistance training.

So...who cares if it's "sexy" or not, just do it. The general public doesn't think that hardbooting is sexy, and I don't see that stopping any of us.

I will add one thing, however. Bikram yoga is a stupid scam for smelly hippies. All other schools, however, are ok. :)

If you find classes at a gym, you'll probably get less of the metaphysical trimmings, and more of the straightforward physical fitness aspect.

:lol: That's the funniest thing I've heard in weeks!

so funny I had to dig this one up. Thanks for the laugh, mario.

back at ya :lol:

I think this is called "physical comedy"—from slapstick pratfalls to the theatre of the absurd......

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfGD5FgtNtY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfGD5FgtNtY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

maybe pee wee herman could've helped him out with that -

eeeeeach ma bawls !!!

I'm with John, the metaphysical mumbo-jumbo thing totally put me off yoga. I do my best to avoid religion in any way, shape or form, so that was a no-go zone for me. Plus, I don't have the dosh to be spending $200 on an outfit from Lululemon just so I can fit in with all the beautiful people.

(Although I do have to say, the powerstretch yoga at our gym in the mornings does look interesting (I shoot the odd glance into the room as I'm working out), and the girls in the class tell me there's no mumbo jumbo at all.)

Here in Cowtown yoga is damn well everywhere, as is the Lulu culture, but that's what you'd expect from a city with no cultural identity and way too much spare cash...

I did take up pilates 18 months ago, and I credit it for the awesome snowboard season I've had this year. Much stronger in the core, more flexible, and much better balance has made for vastly improved riding. 20 minutes a day at lunch three times a week, great results. All the benefits without the BS, I like to say.

Mario - that was hilarious - sometimes it's good to be a girl! And yes, the pants are flattering on almost everyone ...

Sexy? Mmmmmmm....most of you guys probably haven't noticed, but Rodney Yee is very easy on the eyes. :p

Useful? Jackson is full of uber athletes, and it's quite popular here. I heard snowboard mountaineer Stephen Koch say that yogic breathing exercises were key to keeping him alive during a cold night out without bivy gear after he was avalanched and had one leg mostly twisted off at the knee (he was climbing up when he was injured - not locked onto his board.) And - oh, yeah - Steve is pretty easy on the eyes too!

When I'm being good, a few minutes of sun salutations in the morning go a long way to keeping my back happy.

Wait, you mean hippies aren't sexy?!?!?

Does reaching for your toe bails on standard bindings count as carving yoga? ;)

Does reaching for your toe bails on standard bindings count as carving yoga? ;)

So by hooking that strap to my heels and running it up to my thigh so I don't have to bend over, I'm taking away the only thing that might fix my back?