Note to New Members ×

Is yoga sexy or just what hippies do?

skipuppy

So by hooking that strap to my heels and running it up to my thigh so I don't have to bend over, I'm taking away the only thing that might fix my back?

Well, I worked quite awhile in nursing homes, and the lesson learned there, over and over, is Move It or Lose It. You're doomed, man. Doomed. :eplus2:

I think there really is a regional difference in how it's perceived. I can tell you that anywhere in Texas but Austin or maybe North Dallas, it would be considered a bit fringe by many people. (I can hear it now: "Yoga? Does that mean you're not a Christian?" )

Here in NYC, it seems like every person I see on the sidewalk is smoking--which blows my mind. Not sure if they're doing yoga here between cigarettes.

The hippie-dippy places I've lived (Burlington, VT and Boulder, CO) are of course totally into it. (In Boulder, I got so sick of seeing people do tai-chi in the park I fantasized about using a paintgun on them.) DC? Pretty much just the soccer moms is my impression. Most of the guys there equate going to a yoga class with wearing a beret (of the non-military type).

There's no debate that it's great for flexibility and general health. And yeah, some of those yoga chicks look really good, as Sinecure said. But for me as a guy to actually go to the class with all those gals? I'm self-conscious enough when I stink up the gym on the treadmill. The group aspect and the (optional?) metaphysical mumbo-jumbo don't do it for me. (By the way, I sell propane and propane accessories.) But I'd probably do it in the privacy of my home. Hell, I stretch a lot, and I'm pretty sure I'm breathing the whole time; is that yoga? Or do I have to balance on my head and pulsate my chakra?

I say, if it makes people happy, that's great. Diff'rent strokes and all that. Just don't do it in a public park, because there's this potato gun on eBay...

You better amend your attitudes about Texas. Houston has the largest Indian, as in the continent, population outside of India. I've done yoga for 20 years and tell my friends I do it without any worries of being considered fringe. Now, I do have a problem telling them I'm a Democrat, but then again, I work with people who drive convertible Bentleys.