Note to New Members ×

ECES 2008 - Where should it be? - poll closes 3/31!

Jack M

Where should ECES 2008 be held?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Where should ECES 2008 be held?

• Killington, VT
    • Stowe, VT
    • Mt. Snow, VT
    • Loon & Waterville Valley, NH

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waterville has the sickest carving terrain, Many Hi level alpine athletes got their start there. If you dont know its becuase you dont go. Loon rips on a good day but does not have the good firm snow. WV does. Also with a Party college town like Plymouth right down the road I know I can get into trouple.... And that why i go to ECES to cause trouble.....

PS mount snow sucks................

Killington is way to NYC..........

Oh yea I dont live on the east coast anymore...

How's the injury coming Bordy? :lurk:

Waterville WOULD be a good ECES site, I agree. Who could argue with plenty of carving and trouble all in one great location! :biggthump

Are you saying you wouldn'rt want to come all the way back east just for the pleasure of carving K-mart with a bunch of Joeys? :p

I chose Waterville/Loon only because I can get there in 2.5 hours and I know the terrain. Never really been that impressed with Killington - over-rated in my opinion and too crowded. The place I loved going to recently wasn't listed but it has some of the nicest and longest runs I've been on and its never really all that crowded on the good slopes - Attitash. But that's not listed so I won't go there. I'll likely go to whatever venue is finalized, it'll be a first so I'm hoping by then I'll be able to actually carve a turn or two.

Top ten reason to go to Stowe

1)Good expert rated trails(front four), good intermediate(gondi line?), and excellent beginner/intermediate over across the road(spruce peak?). Legendary backcountry trails.

2)The best neutral place for a Demo tent, by the gondola.

3)Stowe has the Best town for the "significant other" to go shopping in during the day:)

4)Stowe is a good compromise between the isolation of Sugarloaf(no nightlife, or town really), to the crowds at K-mart(kinda like a small city, think a slice of NYC)...

5)I think of Stowe as the Aspen of the northeast.

6)On our "day off", Smugglers notch, Jay Peak, Sugarbush, Bolton, City of Burlington, all within easy drive. Heck we can even road trip to Killington if need be.

7)If we want to be "noticed" at the mountain, we would have more of a presence at Stowe, instead of being lost in the crowds at K-mart.

8)I almost forgot, we could invite Jake Burton to join us for the week, Stowe was his home mountain at one time.

9)The Burton factory is right up the road in Burlington.

10)Canadians are more fun than NYcity folk.

i have been going to killington for the past 10 years for MLK weekend and Presidents and Xmas for the past 7. I have also been on regular weekends and midweek. For the past 3 years i have organised a group of my buddies. we arrive Sunday early and leave Tuesday. Weekdays at Killington are deserted unless it is a holiday week. Local knowledge helps as there are long traverses between peaks. That said there is lots of careable terain for all levels as already noted in previous post. I am not sure about the attitudes factor. I have not come across it. I like idea of Stowe. It sucked at Xmas this year but it looked like it had possibilities.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned that Okemo is not to far down the road from Killington.

..but I have to admit that you're a lot of fun too (for an American) :biggthump

So in the spirit of bilateral relations across the border (don't try to read anything into this you gutter-minded nasties), I have put in my vote for Stowe.

There is yet one more field trip spot near Stowe that nobody has mentioned: Burke Mountain (remember Warren Weatherill? Burke Mountain Academy? 'How the Racers Ski' was where my search for the carve began). I have only been once and it was on a day where it had turned into a sheet of ice from top to bottom after a spring thaw but the terrain seemed purpose made for what we do. I have a feeling it would be epic on the right day. Anyone been?

Jack, I'm really going to miss Sugarloaf. It is without question the best venue in the east.

it's like the loaf, 4+ or so hours from anywhere people live other than than if you live in burlington or somewhere in western ME/northern NH

killington blows, its basically wachusset but bigger with Joeys from NYC and jersey

stowe is no more practical than sugarloaf for most IMHO

Noah makes a good point, perhaps a place like sunapee or one of the smaller places in VT might be options as well?

just thinking out loud

Kathy you ride there every week how is it mid week during the season?

Thoughts?

Well...since you asked....

First I want to say thanks for Jack for organizing ECES again. As far as I am concerned if he wants to organize it I will do my best to come even if it is at Blue Hillls (well ahh maybe not). Also lets not bring other hills into the discussion since he asked nicely for us not to ....

4 of the hills on the list (all except Mt Snow) I know very well - I have worked at Killington, Loon and Waterville and have had passes at all of the mountains on the list in recent years.

I would rank them Killington / Stowe both way ahead

Loon

then Waterville

Bottom line is the snow is better at Killington and Stowe - as per example this weekend they got 3 times as much snow (33-36inches!!!) and NH got some rain mixed in ugh

I voted for Killington cause it is my home mountain and I agree with Przemek/Brooklyn that Killington is awesome for carving. However I think he must have balls of steel cause I cannot imagine carving at Killingon on a weekend (except maybe 8-10am, 2-4pm Sun). I get scared there on a busy weekday. (But to be fair to Killington there is really no mountain I will ride a carving board on the weekend - I'm a chicken really) I ride solo generally and go in the singles line and generally NEVER wait even for a minute in the lift line. Even if you go with others the gondi's generally have the only lines weekdays and they are less than 5 minutes. THe exception to this is Feb vaca week (Washingtons bday)

If Killington is picked the thing to be careful of is the week picked - some weeks are great - some are busier

Week before Washingtons Bday ok

Week of-->busy

Week after Washington Bday NH vaca week but not too bad

Following week is Quebec/ Montreal vaca week a little more busy

Week after that is Ontario vaca week -- busier again

Week after that is this coming week and I think it gets slower - I'll let you know

This may apply to Stowe as well?? they are closer to Canada

TO Counter Pauls list here are reasons to pick Killington

1) Wide variety of terrain to please all levels (WAYYY more than 4 at each level)

2) Wide variety of conditions in different areas so not as weather dependent as some places (ie bear 10-15 degrees warmer, canyon colder, firmer)

3) Challening terrain

4) I think Killington is actually a great place to show boat......

5) Large numbers of former sick carvers that will hopefully come out of the woodwork to join us (Now working as plumbers, resort managers, retail managers and owners - prev. ski bums)

6) Wide variety of lodging from bunk houses, condos to lux hotels

7) Same goes for nightlife, dining

8) Not as snooty as Stowe

9) Not as many grumpy old retirees as Stowe

10) Killington is the master of repair - in the event of bad weather they always see to come through and get things usable again - quicker I think than anywhere else

All that being said I still think Stowe would be great.

THANKS JACK!!!

at 5pm March 31.

Tentative dates for the ECES are the first week of March, 2008 - 3/3/08 - 3/9/08.

Thanks Jack, it may sound strange but that helps me hugely I can stake my claim to those dates now and have confidence that I'll be able to get the time off (US Navy)

For the record Killington midweek is generally much less crowded than Sunapee was today

In the interests of general research I am going to go carve at Killington this Sunday am then I will report back on crowds (And I am the perfect reporter cause I never go on Sunday so my expectations are high!)

This week has seen a real drop off in people at Killington - Monday there was a little surge in the am - I think alot of people called in sick and stayed past the weekend given the storm over the weekend - otherwise now there is great snow and few people.....

KB

Gondolier and Perry Merrill are awesome carving trails off the Gondola and Spruce has a big face that's great for carving on West Slope and Slalom Hill( even saw the Allman Bros there way back when).

Not 100 % sure if the interconnect chair will be ready by next year but it's very likely.

Stowe is WORLD CLASS, hands down my favorite hill on the entire east coast. Rusty Nail and the Matterhorn are rockin' spots for partying.Liftline and Nosedive off the quad are great carving, too. Stowe makes Killington look like Disneyland.

edit: Over Easy Transfer is open-holds 10 people

GO STOWE !

and here's a shot of Stowe backcountry.....yesterday

post-123-141842231156_thumb.jpg

Hi !

The East coast might be too far for me for the ECES 08....

I was wondering if there will be some ES on the west coast even if they are not the size of the ECES. If yes, any idea of the schedule ?

Blue sky

Didier

Why yes! Oregon Expression Session in Bend, OR. The dates will be a Thursday - Sunday sometime in March. Dates will be set sometime in the fall.

See the link in my signature :)

• 2 weeks later...

Coming east will share the fun /info with a lot of us who for various reasons can't make it west for this event.

In Ontario, the first w/e in March includes club races & our Provintials.

Usually the second week is "spring break", a week to avoid many / most resorts.

Perhaps late Feb?