Note to New Members ×

ECES 2008 - Where should it be? - poll closes 3/31!

Jack M

Where should ECES 2008 be held?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Where should ECES 2008 be held?

• Killington, VT
    • Stowe, VT
    • Mt. Snow, VT
    • Loon & Waterville Valley, NH

The best carving slopes in the province are actually at Mont-Ste-Anne I would say. There are some isolated slopes elsewhere that are good for carving, but the whole North side of Ste-Anne is perfect for carving (wide, constant inclination, blue level, not crowded) AND the grooming is awesome.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have only boarded killington and mt snow. So my vote would go to k. That said I really dont believe killington is the best "carving mountain". bear is nice but the easy/med trails snowshed/ramshead are all the way on the other side of the mountain. So depending on where you put base its a pain to get over to the other side of the mountain. As for being busy I spent a week there this year and last year and it was dead both weeks. Why did you not put up statton. American Standard has to be one of the best black carving trails of all time (IMHO)

I have decided that I was going to be part of the next ECES!

So whatever mountain that is chosen will work for me! :biggthump

I didn't participate in the last ECES thinking I wasn't worthy of the event.

But I figured, what the hell? I can only learn and get friendly advice while I discover a new mountain. :D

I would also bring my camera gear to shot carving pics since I enjoy this as well!

As long as there is nice, constant, wide, well groomed variety of blue runs, I am in!

Thanks!

my issue with Kmart is that I have never been there for a multi day trip and not been disappointed. The resort with all it's peaks looks great on paper but its usually very annoying to string together enough well groomed trails to make a good top to bottom snowboard run....Granted it's been years since I've been there but I also hold a grudge for their early treatment of snowboarders.

I have been riding Killington every weekend for the past 3 years and while I would like to try a new place, I think Kmart is the better location for ECES.

- Housing options- Killington area has thousands or rooms available at all price ranges during the week, though none with Maria Von Trapp :(

- Nightlife- Best in the East- probably some good bands if it's in March- Bacardi girls were here this past week :1luvu:

- Trails- There are wide carving trails from Blues: BunnyBuster, Rime, Reason etc. Blacks: Skyburst, Wildfire and Double Blacks: Double Dipper, Superstar and OL.

- Other factors- Kmart has a good Demo Tent area, Bar overlooking it.

Sometimes you get to see Vin from Out-of-Bounds ripping up the trails early morning.

The area will be under new management by then (Powdr from Park City) so there should be some improvments to the area.

Mid week crowds are not there. Even most weekends it is ride on to the lifts. 5 min wait max- depending on where you go. The skiers that are there midweek are good skiers. The beginners stay on the lower mountains.

I have been going to Killington since the mid 60's so I've obviously learned to suppress my morals. ;)

Count me out if it is at Killington...just can't bring myself to ride there. Especially on a weekend. :freak3:

It's great if you're 18 I suppose. :barf:

The ECES will be a week-long event. Anybody who can't justify a couple days off mid-week to go snowboarding on uncrowded trails with fellow carvers during the prime days of the season is not really who we're aiming to please.

The ECES will be a week-long event. Anybody who can't justify a couple days off mid-week to go snowboarding on uncrowded trails with fellow carvers during the prime days of the season is not really who we're aiming to please.

Some just CAN'T. Like for me, I start doing overtime at the end of january/beginning of February and it lasts until the middle/end of March. Nobody can take a day off here at work during this period. And I am not really replacable as we are 3 people in the engineering department and we all do 50 hours+ during these weeks (I work in the maple sugarring equipment industry).

I don't know if I'll be at the same place next year though...

What's your point? I said nothing about not being able to go anywhere mid-week? The point is - Killington just sucks...everything about it.

The point is - Killington just sucks...everything about it.

I dissagre, K has pluses and minuses but has the best steep carving terrain in south Vermont (and within 5 hours driving from brooklyn)

I am not sure what is your problem, but please be more specific why you have such low opininion about K. By the way where do you ride usually?

I usually don't chime in to any of the arguments that occur here, but I am going to this time in Jack's defense. He initially put this posting up for everyone to vote on 4 resorts that he can potentially plan the 2008 ECES at. I'm sure that Jack's reasons for choosing these resorts is based on where he can get the best deals, try to accomodate the least amount of travel time, and the feedback he has received since the last ECES. If you don't like one of the option, then don't vote for it. Its not necessary to continuously argue against the efforts that are being made to please so many people here. It is difficult to please everyone all the time!

For future responses, just stick to the vote. It's not that your opinion is not important, but think about the people that are trying to put this event together for everyone, and how much work goes into it. If you would like to see the event happen someplace else, then tell us...but please explain why.

I dissagre, K has pluses and minuses but has the best steep carving terrain in south Vermont (and within 5 hours driving from brooklyn)

I am not sure what is your problem, but please be more specific why you have such low opininion about K. By the way where do you ride usually?

It's one of those things...if you have to ask... :smashfrea

I have no problem, only an OPINION...and BTW, proximity to Brooklyn didn't factor in my thinking. :)

as many may not know, The FIRST ECES ever was held at Stowe(and Stratton-to split things up,I guess) and I missed it. In Fact, Dano clued me in about the BOL website a week after it had already happened. Dude, you know those crazy metal bindings you have ? there's a website...and a forum... :eek: so blame Dano :flamethro

I cut my carving teeth at Stowe.The place is just sooooo elitist foo foo these days.Killington does suck in many ways but tons of terrain if ya know the place well, esp midweek, not that crowded AND Pico is right there but...who knows what'll happen next year with the place getting sold.

I thought the Loaf was a great venue... :rolleyes:

I hear you Willy, if I were king it would never leave Sugarloaf and it would happen twice a year. Best carving terrain in the east, easy. But Sugarloaf is simply too remote for too many people. I was at the Stowe ECES and it worked pretty well.

Bob, if it's at Stowe, of course anyone can ride Sugarbush if they want. But I didn't think there was much if any carving to be done there. Never been. Same for Jay.

But again - these four choices have been carefully selected by an elite focus group. Let's not distract this conversation with endless suggestions for other mountains.

as many may not know, The FIRST ECES ever was held at Stowe(and Stratton-to split things up,I guess) and I missed it. In Fact, Dano clued me in about the BOL website a week after it had already happened. Dude, you know those crazy metal bindings you have ? there's a website...and a forum... :eek: so blame Dano :flamethro

I cut my carving teeth at Stowe.The place is just sooooo elitist foo foo these days.Killington does suck in many ways but tons of terrain if ya know the place well, esp midweek, not that crowded AND Pico is right there but...who knows what'll happen next year with the place getting sold.

I thought the Loaf was a great venue... :rolleyes:

The FIRST ECES ever . . . was actually held at stratton and only stratton.

~tb

There's plenty of carving at SB. I've been riding there for more than 20 years. Lincoln Peak has some super steeps too. Just not a lot of them.

Yup - been my home mountain for 17 years...I wouldn't be here if there wasn't anything carveable. PLENTY of backcountry too - as steep as you want it, cliffs even!!

If you’re going to move the event,

that decision has been made. (is this not clear? :confused: )

I think you need to consider adding some variety to make the week interesting.

If it's at Stowe (current frontrunner), sounds like we'll be able to pick and choose mountains.

If it's at Killington, it's at Killington, and we'll make the good carving runs known.

You know, no one has bothered to ask Jack why he chose the four mountains he did to poll for the location of ECES. Perhaps this would be a good piece of information to have before jumpting to other suggestions...or before voting in the poll!

Just a thought :o

Jack, would you mind giving us some insight?

Angie