Note to New Members ×

ECES 2008 - Where should it be? - poll closes 3/31!

Jack M

Where should ECES 2008 be held?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Where should ECES 2008 be held?

• Killington, VT
    • Stowe, VT
    • Mt. Snow, VT
    • Loon & Waterville Valley, NH

Here we go again!!

Although Sugarloaf kicks some serious butt, it is simply too remote to host the ECES every time there. So, where should we go? Comments welcome, but please no requests for other locations. This will keep the results of this poll conclusive. Thanks.

Maps:

Killington

Stowe

Mt. Snow

Loon/Waterville

Tentative dates for the ECES are the first week of March, 2008 - 3/3/08 - 3/9/08.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loon because they have some killer carving trails although Killington does too. I know there is also tons of carvers at Loon including a race program for High School kids. I'd stay clear of waterville because their carving trails are not as good as loon's.

I think that Killington will draw more people because people from New York and Dirty Jers can get there faster than Loon. What week are you aiming for?

If you go to Waterville, I am willing to work with the mountain and my ski/snowboard club to try and get a lane to set gates for one of the days. If any are interested in trying gates they could give it a go. As far as a carving mountain it isn't very big but has some nice trails and great grooming. I was on True Grit this Saturday and it was amazing.

I'd love to hear from regular K-Mart riders about how crowded it is mid week. Killington always seems to be pretty busy during the week, since it is one of the largest resorts in NE it gets more crowded mid week compared to the other list of mountains Jack has on his list.

Kathy you ride there every week how is it mid week during the season?

Thoughts?

Hope you don't mind a west-coaster voting. I voted K-Mart because if it's there, I have family really close by who can watch my little one while Bonnie and I attend.

Not at all, that's what this is for. Kind of like, "I'll come if it's here".

What time of year are you thinking?

Early March or late Feb. Will coordinate with SES to have 2 weeks between.

I'd love to hear from regular K-Mart riders about how crowded it is mid week. Killington always seems to be pretty busy during the week, since it is one of the largest resorts in NE it gets more crowded mid week compared to the other list of mountains Jack has on his list.

Kathy you ride there every week how is it mid week during the season?

Thoughts?

I have a season pass and rid K every weekend and more.

K is not so bad on weekdays at all it is a big area so people will spread out.

I would say not much more people then ECES last yera in sugerloaf.

I Would say definitly Killington......

It has the best terain on east cost

second Stowe

third Loon (i never been there but i heard is even more crovded then K)

please no Mt. Snow. Too flat.

I would sugest K becouse has the best carving trail :

Superstar

1 Fast quadruple chair right over the trail (you can watch other carvers)

2 Great meeting point and planty of room to set up demo tent

3 extra Wide interesting terain with steep on the top and bottom and more melow middle always groom

4 Easy way down for beginers (the trail that goes around)

5 Superstar pub right next to it. (with the view on superstar)

I cannot imagine better terain for ECES

Killlington has great variety of terain, has steep trails where we have oportunity to improve our skils . I strongly recomend K

"morally opposed"?

explain?

you don't like the new owners or something deeper than that?

probably not so much "morally", but I hate the crowds, and the come to party attitude. Also, I admittedly don't know killington, which is what anyone who rides there regularly says is important to enjoy the mountain, avoid crowds, and find the good terrain/conditions etc.

and On another level, I hate big business mountains...I prefer an independently owned hill...

probably not so much "morally", but I hate the crowds, and the come to party attitude. Also, I admittedly don't know killington, which is what anyone who rides there regularly says is important to enjoy the mountain, avoid crowds, and find the good terrain/conditions etc.

and On another level, I hate big business mountains...I prefer an independently owned hill...

Sorry That makes no sense M Slow and K untill recently had the same owner american ski comp. (both mountains where sold recently)

Your logic is good but does not applay in this case

Mount snow is more crowded then K for sure, it is familly mountain with easy slopes and much closer to NYC and CT (Also becouse M S is smaller lift line get much longer then on K)

Recently i went to bouth on weekday and was suprised how empty K was on thrusday and how crowded MS was on friday.

I learned to snowboard at Stowe (they like Loon were one of the early resorts that allowed snowboarding), it's a very nice mountain with 4 double blacks that are truly killer (Starr, Goat, National and Lift Line)...at one point I was good enough for them but not anymore. Both of Stowe's mountains have plenty of trails that are carvable. I think that it still ranks as one of my favorite mountains. Kmart on the other hand I have never liked. I learned to ski there and even then the thing I hated was that so much of the resort is connector trails...If it's at Kmart I'll skip ECES and go to Stowe or Loon.

I voted Loon because I work/volunteer there and get a free pass.

Loon is about as convenient as they come travel wise. Midweek has not been crowded (except for the school vacation weeks). Weekends can be very busy.

Loon changed ownership this year, but Waterville didn't. That raises the possibility that the two might not be linked next year.

I'm not in favor of Snow - too much NY City for me.

How about Sugarbush in VT? I think I would go for that ahead of Stowe or Killington.

Sorry That makes no sense M Slow and K untill recently had the same owner american ski comp. (both mountains where sold recently)

Your logic is good but does not applay in this case

Mount snow is more crowded then K for sure, it is familly mountain with easy slopes and much closer to NYC and CT (Also becouse M S is smaller lift line get much longer then on K)

Recently i went to bouth on weekday and was suprised how empty K was on thrusday and how crowded MS was on friday.

For the record...I never said I liked Mount Snow, Just believe it to be the best option. i am aware of the ownership. My Choice would actually be Stowe, but if we are trying to avoid the inaccessability of the loaf, then Stowe is equally far for most. I don't spend much time at any ASC mountains, much prefer the likes of Jay, Burke, Sunapee, Okemo, stowe. and before I get raped on the okemo/sunapee business, It is a family that owns it, who are good people...

My Choice would actually be Stowe, but if we are trying to avoid the inaccessability of the loaf, then Stowe is equally far for most.

According to Google Maps:

New York City to Sugarloaf:

445 miles, 8 hours

Distance from the highway to Sugarloaf:

73 miles

New York City to Stowe:

335 miles, 6 hours

Distance from the highway to Stowe:

10.5 miles

And on that note....

NYC to...

Killington: 267 miles, 4:51

Mt. Snow: 215 miles, 4:08

Loon: 330 miles, 5:48

I'll go with other Montrealers: Stowe ! :rolleyes:

Looking at the results, it seems we are tipping the balance!:biggthump If other Montréalers can vote, it would be nice!

bartron, EOS4Life, Aleyeyga, f_coulombe, B18C1, and all the others, come and help us. If Jack was open to suggestion, we could have it at Ste-Anne:p

Maybe the Toronto crowd? YYZCanuck, skategoat...