Note to New Members ×

Heard on the Slopes

jnshapiro

Similar situation. I was riding with some friends and a friend of theirs. This friend of friend said she didn't like riding with boarders because we make it hard to get off the lift. At the top of the lift, she promptly turned into me and ate it after we had all agreed we were turning the other way. She of course blamed me.

:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea

Anybody who turns into me usually looses. One of the bennies of not being small I guess.

I have been turned down by skiers who don't want a boarder to share the chair with them. One time I said good - I don't want to ride with you either. Usually just zip it and try to be good. :eplus2:

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's actually a problem when you ride with skiers, especially on a packed lift. If I'm ridiing up with strange skiers and the lift exits right I'll politely say that I'll exit straight, as I don't have a lot of control turning right (being goofy). If the lift exits left it's better, I can turn that way... but even if I'm exiting straight, the board will often kick the tail out to the left and hit the person next to me on a full chair.

I've refused to ride up with learner boarders before. Learner boarders are hell, and I don't fancy being taken out on the exit.

The other night I was working at the State Liquor Store in town and this tall lanky guy comes in and buys a 1500ml bottle of Jagermeister. I recognized him as the guy who takes care of the trauma park at my local ski area. He looks at me and says, "Hey, you're that guy that snowboards. No, I mean REALLY snowboards like how they used to."

Mark

Similar situation. I was riding with some friends and a friend of theirs. This friend of friend said she didn't like riding with boarders because we make it hard to get off the lift. At the top of the lift, she promptly turned into me and ate it after we had all agreed we were turning the other way. She of course blamed me.

Yeah I get this a bit..... usually when people learn to ski, and board, they promptly lose 50 points off their IQ....especially when they get onto a chair lift......

That's why I usually take off from the chair first, or if I'm slow I wait for every one to clear off first....worry about the flailing bodies strewn about on the way down.... been hit by the chair from behind a couple of times...

Always wear a helmet....

Good thing is with Hard boots they make the run off the chair a lot easier to control.......

Steve

Riding up with newbies always presents a problem for exiting the chair. If I know that they are new to skiing or boarding I will usually push off the chair as soon as the boards or skis touch the ramp. I kind of use the momentum from the chair and a strong push with my hands to slingshot me down the ramp far ahead of the carnage.

Oh let me add what I heard a few weeks back, Terry W and I are at Chair 7 at Snow Summit, we both load the chair at the same time and the liftie says, "Cool, nice to see some old school boards". Old school??? Terry W is on a Coiler AM metal and I am on a Rossi World Cup.

Can you say clueless??

Oldvolvos, apparently, I got a good learning in my board today as well. Had several people tell me "Oh cool, you have an old slalom board, that's gotta be from the beginning of snowboarding!" or something along those lines.

One of them had a board that was marked "Burton Snowboards 2002"

My Speed is an 03 ;)

Riding up with newbies always presents a problem for exiting the chair. If I know that they are new to skiing or boarding I will usually push off the chair as soon as the boards or skis touch the ramp. I kind of use the momentum from the chair and a strong push with my hands to slingshot me down the ramp far ahead of the carnage.

Oh let me add what I heard a few weeks back, Terry W and I are at Chair 7 at Snow Summit, we both load the chair at the same time and the liftie says, "Cool, nice to see some old school boards". Old school??? Terry W is on a Coiler AM metal and I am on a Rossi World Cup.

Can you say clueless??

Too true. Saturday I was riding my 4807 178 (aka the Pow Rocket) at Meadows, and realized that I was incredibly paranoid about my baby getting dinged whenever someone joined us from the singles line. The only time I relaxed was when the guy coming in from the singles line was a race course official on skis.

earlier this season before my back went crazy from an old navy injury I was teaching at Ragged MT, Danbury NH. It was one of the weekends with the big Ski East racing group............

I went out on the Rossi VAS GS board, came screaming down exhibition under the high speed six pack lift using the whole trail for Christmas ribbon candy turns. Major thigh burn .... Hobbled into the lift line and got to ride up with a couple of the racers.

"Wow man You really lay that sucker over ......are you an ex snowboard racer"

Nah ex ski racer........

"really?"

Yah ex Nastar pace setter 12 HC.

"So what kind of riding is that?"

Carving, totally different than racing

"How do you get from one edge to the other like that? Your edge changes are less than a board length?"

Ah easy just throw your self violently down the mountain and drag the board board along for the for the ride. After twenty three years you could do it too.....

"Ah **** man I might not live that long!"

LOL

yah gotta love it guys

they have no clue to the Gs we can pull!!!!!

Pray for my back to heal will yah

Grandpa wolf :D

• 9 months later...

I shared a chair today with two stoners on boards. I was on the outside, and the one next to me spent some time telling me about how he's getting pretty good at snowboarding now that he's got 4 days under his belt. Then he points at my board and says "what kind of board is that? It looks like the snowboards kids make in my shop class."

I was riding a Madd BX with carbon butterfly... :rolleyes:

Yesterday, 2 ski patrol rode up with me. One said, "I don't know what kind of snowboard that is, but you look like you're having a shtlod of fun on it.". The other says, "dude, you look awesome on that thing.".

Of course, they didn't see me slide up to the lift line, catch the leading edge, and knock down a jibber and 2 of his friends... Even they got up and said..."sweet board.." :eplus2:

I shared a chair today with two stoners on boards. I was on the outside, and the one next to me spent some time telling me about how he's getting pretty good at snowboarding now that he's got 4 days under his belt. Then he points at my board and says "what kind of board is that? It looks like the snowboards kids make in my shop class."

I was riding a Madd BX with carbon butterfly... :rolleyes:

do those kids charge for custom specs?:)

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjAIy1jdoVs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjAIy1jdoVs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

I got the "Do you snowboard too?" comment this weekend.

Of course, they didn't see me slide up to the lift line, catch the leading edge, and knock down a jibber and 2 of his friends... Even they got up and said..."sweet board.." :eplus2:

Haha, that's awesome! Timing is everything.

• 3 weeks later...

Minding my own business standing in the liftline: "So you're the one making those groovers all over the mountain?", said the chubby lady in the one-size too small a$$-pants and Care Bears goggles. "I'm going to report you to the Ski Patrol." I told her to stay in front of me and the problem would go away. Her husband got the stare down from her when he told me he liked the turns I was making.

Mark

Minding my own business standing in the liftline: "So you're the one making those groovers all over the mountain?", said the chubby lady in the one-size too small a$$-pants and Care Bears goggles. "I'm going to report you to the Ski Patrol." I told her to stay in front of me and the problem would go away. Her husband got the stare down from her when he told me he liked the turns I was making.

Mark

what a great quote"groovers" and i love your response. i had a like meeting with an elderly gentleman and his wife the other day. in a very British accent "your tearing the shi&*^% out of the mountain but were really enjoying watching you" :biggthump

i met this very young lady (maybe 16 or 17 i guessed) named Christie. she said she had been "watching me for years". she said when she was 5 or 6 years old her father was riding with her up the chairlift. he pointed to me coming down the slope and said that's the caspercarver. i asked her how old she was and she said she was 25. i feel kinda old.

Was at the Seatlle Snow Show and picked up a new carving board out of the swap meet. Was walking around and stopped in front of the Burton Booth and a yung-un maybe 20 something asked me "What the heck is that?" "I've never seen a board like that." She was working the Burton booth, and I'm not sure if she was "Eye Candy" or if she was part of the crew manning the booth, but none of them had an idea what it was.

Did my best to explain.

I've done alot of explaining that "they're not ski boots" on the lifts lately. The best comment I've gotten after ripping the bumps under the chair on the face was from a vetran skiier with a bushy white fu-manchu, "It's so nice to see someone actually carve turns on a snowboard." that left me smiling.

My family and I were at Whistler all of last week- by the fifth day the lifties at Creekside knew us by face...

On a particularly nice bluebird day this past Thursday, one of the lifties looked down at my Coiler AM and said,"you either know what you're doing, or you're gonna get the surprise of your life when you hit some of our steeper groomers".

I laughed and replied, "Probably a little bit of both, dude, probably a little bit of both.";)

• 2 weeks later...

Today at Grand Targhee I was way past tired and groveling along the endless traverse back from the Sacajawea lift when I passed a jibber girl who was crashed in the snowbank. As I went by she pointed at me and shrieked to her boyfriend "There's that thing I was telling you about!" I like to think she was talking about my board/bindings/boots, but with the odd whimpering sounds I was emitting, maybe she was talking about me?!? :confused::smashfrea

• 3 weeks later...

Saw a link to this on TGR, and it's too funny not to share:

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/82587/identifying-a-ski-board

Post topic: Identifying a ski board

"We were at Mt Shasta in northern CA a few weekends ago and saw an unusual type of board. It appeared to be about 7-10" wide and about 4' - 4 1/2' long. Reddish in color with a traditional round shaped tip and a squared off tail with a triangle (pizza slice) missing (a twin tail?) from the tail. The rider was situated in a stance similar to a slalom water ski as opposed to the splayed stance of a typical snowboarder. My 15 yr old son was impressed and wants to try to find one. Any ideas what this board my have been or where to find something similar to purchase?"

-----------------------------

:lol: :smashfrea :lol: :smashfrea

OK Shasta crew, who's got the 140 cm swallowtail??