Note to New Members ×

Heard on the Slopes

jnshapiro

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that like "Puerto Ricans I have met while yachting??"

The video of the African-american guy in Aspen(?) is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

It would be the southern accents that would freak me. In the words of the great Jeff Foxworthy "ya just can't sound intellighent while yah speaking with a southern accent ..."

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rod Bridle

Well, some of us are still doing it tough in Aspen. The riding has been sensational!!

I overheard this conservation in the kitchen area of the St Moritz last night (anybody who has stayed there will know who the person is: the older guy with the pony tail who has an opinion on everything), "those carvers are dislexic, they've got it all wrong, they ride the groomers when there's 5-6 inches of new snow."

This guy also bailed up some softbooters in the lobby as well, telling them that snowboards are limited and all they do all day is ride groomers. The look in response was priceless.:eek:

I also overheard some young park monkeys at Snowmass just after the demo tent closed,"Dude, did you see all those guys on those crazy boards?"

Rod

Mt. Rose yesterday, carrying my 4807 from the parking lot to the lift among a huge number of kids...

This one kid about 10 years old, speaking/shouting like he just saw something incredible at a wrestling event or monster truck rally: "Dude, that is a tight snowboard!"

I think we could start a whole other thread for 4807/swallowtail comments. Last week when riding mine:

"So is that New school, or Old school?"

me: "It's new-old school...around 2001 ish"

"Is that a split board?" because of the swallowtail

"No is't a swallowtail...it doesnt' come apart"

J

Just after getting off the lift at Windham, NY, with my 185 Rossignol "Undertaker" Swallowtail, pointy nose powder board, during February 14th's 30" powder dump, a skiier turned to me and said "Is that a Snurfer?" :AR15firin

I replied that it was a powder board and that Snurfers did not have bindings.

Bricky

In early February, after getting off the lift at Windham, NY, with my Donek 185, a skiier said "Hey, aren't the bindings supposed to be all the way forward on that board?" :flamethro

I replied, no, that would be a "skwaal". This is race/carve snowboard.

Bricky

"Rod"

I understand what you are saying & who u are speaking of !

Last yr I really got into it with this person !!!!!! Close to fighting!

This yr I had the opportunity to learn why the abrasive personalty exists !!

With this enlightenment/ I was able to see another side of this grumpy old man

& latter almost enjoyed interaction with him !!! Ha I guess I did ! HE HAS ANOTHER SIDE !!!! I guess its all in the understanding !

I think this conflict between skiers & boarders is just that/ people discredit anything which they do not understand!!!!!!!! Its Human nature!!!

I have yet to ride the 4807 without causing a scene. open mouth stares and the usual comment

"wow that's a really old board man." actually its brand new.

"no I mean it was made like years ago man" actually its a 2001 or 2002 board

"HUH???????" they assume I am crazy and walk off at that point usually.

I have been thinking about getting a tshirt that says " Its a state of the art POWDER Board , you wouldn't understand"

the whole retro look thing really throws them.

lots of people comment on the awesome look or the cool graphics etc. but the old school comments are by far the most prolific.

Yesterday at Mt. Hood Meadows, as I passed by the public tuning bench.

Young softbooter: "Excuse me, do you snowboard? I'm riding duck, and my knees are starting to hurt. Do you have any suggestions?"

Me: "Yeah, that duck could cause some problems, why don't you try about 5 degrees in back, and 10 or 15 in front?"

(resisting the urge to suggest trying 20 and 30 :D)

Yesterday at Mt. Hood Meadows, as I passed by the public tuning bench.

Young softbooter: "Excuse me, do you snowboard? I'm riding duck, and my knees are starting to hurt. Do you have any suggestions?"

Me: "Yeah, that duck could cause some problems, why don't you try about 5 degrees in back, and 10 or 15 in front?"

(resisting the urge to suggest trying 20 and 30 :D)

Keep in mind Dan is on a 4807 swallowtail on plates!!!

Photo care of Jim M

post-198-141842229615_thumb.jpg

"no I mean it was made like years ago man" actually its a 2001 or 2002 board

"HUH???????" they assume I am crazy and walk off at that point usually.

I know the feeling -- I had my Prior 4WD with the Blackcomb topographical map top sheet and TD2s -- the guy said , "wow, that is some old stuff you have there!" I said "Yea, Last years model" He did about the same thing as you mention "Huh?????"

Side note on comments.

While riding a Tanker "Crown" (black) with my bros on Hood this week (also on Tanker 200cm (white). Time and time again lifties, other riders , both skiers and snowboarders would ask "What the hell? How long is that board??" It would make sense , however, it was very obvious that the black board was visually "Longer" than the white board.

Behave.

I was at Sugarloaf last year taking a lesson with one of the few hardboot instructors. We got half way down the run after laying out some beatiful trenches in hero snow and we stop so I can get some constructive critisism. An older lady , mid 60's, stops in front of us and asks my instructor(who is wearing a sugarloaf jacket) if he can tell the "kids" who are putting those ditches in the snow to stop because they are hard to ski over and she almost fell down. My instructor and I look at each other grinning ear to ear.

I once said on TV, at the Olympics in Salt Lake, that one of the riders "carved a ditch so deep, you might find a homeless person in there".

I almost got sent home for that one. Seemed funny at the time. The behind camera guys all laughed thier asses off. The producers, management and front of camera folks all thought I was an idiot.

The rest of the games had me hanging with the cameramen.

The other day, I was noboarding and had a big get-off. The visuals of that can be shocking to someone who thinks you're just riding along. I hit the deck and the board went flying to the end of the leg rope. He came over and asked "did you break both your bindings? That shouldn't happen!" I turned around and told him "They're gone!" and "Can you help me find them?"

I let him look around for a few seconds before telling him what was really going on. We did a few more runs together as he wanted to see what was happening there. After a few, we traded and another was enlightened.

Good times.

Guest Tim Tuthill

In line at Buttermilk at the SES I feel something on the back of my board, Bunner 188. A kids dad said he should not do that. He was outlining my tail with his ski pole. I glared at both of them. Total control that day!!