Note to New Members ×

Heard on the Slopes

jnshapiro

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite was at Alpine Meadows a few years ago, when I was riding after having my first decent day in raichle snowboard boots; everything was starting to come together, and I was carving left right and centre over some pretty choppy terrain.

Went through a chute, and there was a disabled skier on one of those single ski seater things, with a guide in front and back; gave them some room, then carved down.

They raced behind me, caught up at the lift, and I was preparing to get a blast, but the gu in the chair, said, hell you can carve even better than I can :-) Had a laugh, then we did some runs; and maaaaaaaaaaaaaan that guy could carve; all his weight on just the one ski; suspension in the seat, and no sense of fear; I was in awe.

Was at my Local mountain, Thredbo...

Some knuckle dragging park monkey in the lift line with all his friends (Equally mindless) Yells out....

"Duuuuude... how old school is that thing??? Whilst pointing at my board...

I looked down at my 5 day old deck and then looked at his 2005 model Burton Custom and calmly said....

"Duuuuuuuuuude.... this board is newer than your's........

Friends I was with just laughed at him....

Kinda took the smirk off his head...

Another time at Hotham whilst bombing the hell out of this run (Vanity run mind you, under a quad chair... Quite hard/icy conditions

I'd straight line this run... then when I had heaps of speed I'd aggressively do a series of cross through turns... got some cheers from the chair above, and when I slowed down near the end of the run... two instructors came over and gave me a compliment on my carving... Said it was the best thing they'd seen for years...

Spent 30min talking carving with them... (Hey I always try to convert people)

It's great when you hear stuff like that.....

Well, kipstar, of course the guy has no sense of fear. (I'm assuming he was a paraplegic.)

What's he going to do? Break a leg? Make himself paraplegic?

(Please, O Lord, don't let anyone become offended....)

In any case, that's an area where technology's helped a hell of a lot

GOT these comments

Could please not make such deep lines in the snow you are wrecking the snow for everybody else :rolleyes:

or from a 13 year old on a day where one considers iceskates " how do you get so much traction?" i said check out bomberonline its got all the answers.:smashfrea

or by the beaver creek guy just before i killed my leg that "board style "just look so cool going down the hill.

On a quad chair while at Aspen years ago during Gay Week (unknown to me at the time).

I heard this from two skiers dressed in drag with beads and colorful dress sitting next to me - I do not know their real names.

Steve asks Bob "Why aren't you riding with Dave?"

Bob answers " I am so pissed at him!"

"Why , what happened?"

"He left the iron on all night!"

Bob then says to me "That is a big board you have there!"

I smile and says "thanks"

This is a true story.

i spent the last four days at jackson hole ski resort, the best line i heard getting on the shuttle with my f2 asym beemer, "ah to bad about your board" he thought i had broken the tail off. then there was the gal from New Zealand who said "your quite a ripper!" i had one lady ask me i would please stop puttin all those ruts in the groomers and i told her "sure if i would if she would stop making moguls"

Ugh. So there I am yesterday making some nice turns down Buckboard at Kirkwood. I keep checking uphill right before each turn to see what's coming down. It's clear so I dive into a healside. Checking again mid way through the turn, still clear. Check again while setting up to dive into a toeside and nearly get hit! This guy was flying down the mountain at a speed beyond anything that I've ever gone. And straightlining it too.

His comment "take up the whole *&(*& slope, why don't you!" Well, yeah. I'm carving. Duh.

Blasted snowboarders. They have no idea how carvers ride.

"Dude, if you're going to go really fast like that, you have to go straight down. Don't turn --it's dangerous!" Heard after a near miss from a kid who had just straightlined at .9 Mach through a thick holiday crowd above me to reach the bubble I was worrking.

) /

( /

) /

( /

) /

( /

:angryfire

Ha I have heard that cutting up the slopes to much/ many times!!!

Like their skis are so short,they could fall into a 2 in crack & never get out !!!!!!!!

I guess Mogul construction add's to the beauty of the mountain!

((Lord forgive them/ for they know not what they say !))

Gotta love these "Heard on the Slopes" threads... :biggthump One thing i've noticed in Montreal area, people are kinda shy of hardbooters... or maybe that's because i look like the russian guy from Rocky-3... :cool::smashfrea Anyways, I hear very often people whispering in lift lines or off the lift "Oh, that's one of these racers!!!", as if I was from another planet... Occasional jibber would pop on a lift with me and ask some questions, i've been asked to race with them a few times.. had to refuse, I can't bomb the slope like these punks do... I have yet to hear the "slope-destroyer" one, I guess it isn't that much of an issue on the East Coast...

I'm somewhat large I guess at 212 lb I wear Bohn Body Armor under my clothing ! http://www.actionstation.com/ which makes me look a-little larger! At one time I wore a helmet with a dark full face shield ! Along with a strange looking board to most ! I was called( Robo-Cop) Many times! Stirred up a-lot of chatter in the lift line! No-one would ride the lift with me !!! Intimidation I guess! I heard there is that big German dude!

Anyone been turned into Ski Patrol for ruining the groomers? Safety issue?

No but I'v ebeen mistaken for Ski Patrol... my red and black jacket, packpack, adn black pants I guess is what did it. Person complained to me about some other skier...I let them finish then explained I wasn't Ski Patrol and then slid away.

J

Last weekend my significant other flew me out to Tahoe (he's there for business), so we go to Homewood for our first day out. First run of the day we're coming down this double black head wall, when we get down to the bottom of the run, the ski patroller blows his whistle at us, he then proceeds to tell us that because there is going to be a lot of people out today, to make sure we control our speed. Of course I'm like WTF first run of the day and we're already getting scolded. :nono: