Note to New Members ×

Heard on the Slopes

jnshapiro

I was riding today at Kirkwood. Late in the day I was chasing my son. I'd let him get a big ahead and get some speed up and do a deep toeside or healside carve, then let him go on ahead again.

Well after a particularly good, forearm dragging :biggthump toeside, which I rode until I was pointed back uphill, a softbooter said to me "that's the most awesome thing I've ever seen."

What have you heard on the slopes?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first year carving on a borrowd PJ7, riding at steamboat, alone as usual and Im really feelin it. Perfectly linked, especially for a first season carver...but I wasnt looking behind me. mid-week so no huge need at steamboat...

all of a sudden in a toe turn I see RED behind me. Ski Patrol. This was back when "damn snowboarders" was still the common attitude...so Im thinkin ****...

I straighten up and just start doing small turns, and he slides on by and says "Nice arcs, dude!" and just keeps goin.

I did a perfect half-circle around a lift tower near the bottom of jiminy peak and got "woot"s from 4 chairs:biggthump

that was one of my first days on an alpine board, and i think it might have been the only decent turn i did all day!

Today was a beautiful day at Mt Hood Meadows, a little busy so it was a day of full chairs and I swear I heard just about all of questions today. "So, have you ever ridden a snowboard before?" , "Hey Dude, it that LIKE a snowboard". However it was just about to head out and on my last ride I get a NEW one.

The guy says " Hey cool, you are on one of the EAST COAST carving boards!'

I had not heard it called that before, however, I figured my East Coast bros would love that one. Doubt it? Yep, got this one of video. Also have another one of a guy calling my 203cm Tinkler System board a Mono!

Great day! Lots of funny people in between the excellent carving.

The worse thing I have heard while in a lift line on a Alpine board was

(Look at that old school Board )

But then again/ several yahoo's from people on the lifts made up for it !

The best Compliment was at the top of a lift! A guy says what is that??

I give him my one min responce / because that's all I knew about it at the time !

He says Ooooooo , "I seen it earlier but it was just a burr!!!!" :eplus2:

A friends kid once said to me "I don't see Ben as a snowboarder." Which I guess is a compliment coming from a skier. He meant I wasn't a park monkey...

Also, the other day I got "That thing is like a big ski." "This ain't no ski," I replyed. I Then had a 5 minute arguement with my brother on the lift. Him claiming my board was like a big ski and me claiming his skis were like little boards...

I had several fun comments the other day while ridding at our local small hill. Here are my favorites from the day.

A junior high kid shared a chair with me and asked lots of questions on the way up. Just before we unloaded he said... "do you realize that people are practically falling out of their chairs to get a look at you ridding"?

Later at the bottom of the hill a cute Aussie chick said "hey man, they are hoisting small children out of your ruts up there!"

My favorite came at the end of the day in the parking lot. A guy with his family came up and asked a few questions and said they enjoyed watching me ride today. Then his four year old daughter who wasn't taller than my kneecap said "man... that board kicks butt!"

Several times while out riding here in the midwest (when we have snow) I've had a few guys and boys come up to me and say "I've been watching you ride all day and that looks awesome"! Or they'll try to race me down the run. Always makes me laugh. :rolleyes:

Kinda makes me feel good when a guy can compliment me on snowboarding since snowboarding primarily is a male dominated sport. The best compliments come from my boyfriend which makes it that much awesome. However, the girls are making their presence!!:1luvu:

Then his four year old daughter who wasn't taller than my kneecap said "man... that board kicks butt!"

That's the ultimate/ it does not get any better than that !!!!! Sweet ! :biggthump

Quite ridding every day Thor ---- I'm very Jealous!!!

Mail me a snowball I forgot what it looks like !

Its going to be 70 degree here AGAIN !!!

Then his four year old daughter who wasn't taller than my kneecap said "man... that board kicks butt!"

That's the ultimate/ it does not get any better than that !!!!! Sweet ! :biggthump

Quite ridding every day Thor ---- I'm very Jealous!!!

Mail me a snowball I forgot what it looks like !

Its going to be 70 degree here AGAIN !!!

If Thor is going to the place I'm thinking of, he's literally less than 5 miles from it where he lives.....

BTW, I was looking at some lots in WP Highlands this summer on the net, damn real estate agent never called when we were there to show us the property.... :smashfrea

If Thor is going to the place I'm thinking of, he's literally less than 5 miles from it where he lives....

My mountain bike odometer reads about three miles from the house to the top of the hill... but in the winter I have to drive all the way around which takes about twenty minutes. :p Great place to beat the WP crouds when necessary... 1000 vertical feet of magic carpet seviced by a high speed quad. I am usually still destroying fresh corduroy at 3:30pm. Hope you and your hub are healed up and can join me this year skatha.

A lot just went for sale on my road (CR 8541). Very private with views from the park to the pass.

last year I rode up the chair with a skier who was inquiring about the board ( I had my 188 Burner out so it's a little weird looking to most people) and I said to the guy "don't let what I'm doing out there give you a sense of what these boards can really do." He replied "well your sure doin a good job of fakin' it then!"

I figured I must be doing something right at that point.

Out at Kirkwood first day of my season in liftline a few kids in a racing school discussing my homemade swallowtail Eldorado.."...no he took two skis and glued them together." and later while strapping in before the lift line guy rides by to give me some dap saying "killer old school boarde Dude!" Well at least he was right, it's from '96 or so.

Last season regarding the same board from an Austrian skiier and her bf asking me what the purpose of it was..."...yah, zass ze type oaf boarts ve zee back in Austria yeers ago"

And the usual on the 4807... "killer board", "WoOW, what's that?"

J

A young kid on a free ride snowboard in the lift line after looking at my Alpine Board said;You must be the one cutting up the slopes/ I was afraid I might fall into one of those trenches !!! That was cool !

To add to the questions: on one of my boards/ I took a lite weight electric plug on about a 5 in wire / I have it coming out of the back of the rear binding between the cant plat & binding ! THAT GETS SOME STRANGE LOOKS !

When asked what it is for I have several answer's depending on who is asking/ most of the time I say its a electric defroster ! I told one little girl it was a hot chocolate warmer for when I'm sitting on the outdoor deck at the lodge !

But most of all I like to see people in the lift line staring/ wheels turning trying to figure it out !!! Its all fun !!!