Note to New Members ×

Madd Killer Strikes Back!

CMC

The Madd Killer strikes back!  Was able to do back to back runs comparing a few boards that I personally love for carving.  The original Madd 158, Oxess 161, and two prototypes of the Donek Madd Killer 161.  Anyone who knows me well, knows how fond I am of the original Madd 158. I’ve logged more days on these boards than I can count—owned 5 originals.  This board had my highest ratings for aggressive carving until..the Madd Killer had surfaced.

Before we get to talking about the Madd Killer, the Oxess 161 has a fun factor right up next to the Madd 158.  Its edge hold is well above average, quick transitions and performs aggressively if given the load.  I’m not too happy with the rusted inserts on the Oxess as that made the binding change over a little time consuming. The key with the Oxess is having Marcel make one that has the perfect blend of dampness and pop for your primary riding surface.  The first Oxess 161 that he had sent was super lively and had tons of pop but did not fare well on skied off ice conditions.  I had him construct the same thing but making it more damp—presto!-- the proper mix was found.  Comparing it to the original Madd 158, I’d take the Madd any day over the Oxess as it is more nimble and has better edge hold.

Bring on the Donek Madd Killer 161.  This board, in its current state, is clearly the winner.  While more positive changes are still in the works, I had to come to terms that this board outperforms the original Madd 158.  I really never thought that would happen.  Its edge hold is beyond crazy, transitions are not just quick but lightning quick, tracks well at speed and will handle any aggressive load put into it.

I’m not going to mention any specs other than the lengths.  I didn’t want to know for purpose of the testing.  The main goal was to ride each and see which would deliver.  Catek bindings were used, no plate and I would highly suggest you leave the plate at home.  No metal boards here.

1. Donek Madd Killer
  2. Original Madd 158
  3. Oxess 161
  4. post-5586-0-40766500-1424921682_thumb.jp
  • Like 2

Glad to hear these are working out so well!  

So the Madd Killer beats the original 158 in all aspects, or most of them?  How about board feel?  How much metal/rubber/carbon can you feel or not feel in the killer vs the original?  Have you also tried an Angrry?

No GS at this time. 

Nekdut, these are all non metal boards.  Beats the Original 158 in all aspects with the one exception I can not test--durability over time.  The original Madd 158 had a virtually gouge proof base material that is not made anymore or is very hard to find.  This base material was by far the best for east coast carving.  The Madds held up from repeated daily abuse for years.  I can let you know on that one in future years.

I tried an Angrry for a few runs. Not even sure whos it was.  It is a good board.  However, Id still choose the original 158 over it.  The Angry was made to mock the characteristics of the 158--while it fairs well, it would never surpass.

OK, here is what I wanna see:

Get a gang together who could be considered "Madd Aficionados" in that they either own one or have significant days on one. Jack, I know you have my 158, you bastard. 

Ride both Madd Killer and original Madd back to back, all day, same resort, same riders, one day. Then post the conclusions. Heck, how about a "blind test"? Put some shelf paper on each and see if you can tell.Of course no looking down for the all to famous brass "releasable" inserts  :eplus2:

Do it!

• Like 3

Haha Fin.  We would need Gilmour as part of the group and that wouldnt happen as he is too busy soaking up the sun rays with his turtles.  I've replaced some of my releasable brass inserts with steel ones--at least that foot wont be coming out.  Actually, whoever had issues with the inserts didnt use the proper length screw or accidently stripped them by not being careful.  Gonna try to get a few guys together before the snow goes soft and see what we come up with.  Dont forget, I bare a Madd tatt on my right shoulder..it wasnt easy coming to grips with the Madd Killer taking over.

OK, here is what I wanna see:

Get a gang together who could be considered "Madd Aficionados" in that they either own one or have significant days on one. Jack, I know you have my 158, you bastard.

Ride both Madd Killer and original Madd back to back, all day, same resort, same riders, one day. Then post the conclusions. Heck, how about a "blind test"? Put some shelf paper on each and see if you can tell.Of course no looking down for the all to famous brass "releasable" inserts :eplus2:

Do it!

I still have my 58 orig. when can I expect the Madd Killer to arrive???

• Like 1

I got the whole range of originals to compare to, which includes two classic 58s (and they both have individual characteristics of course!).  Also, I'm the dumbass who pulled the inserts on my 180 and gimped my knee.  I need to helicoil or tnut that bastard before I would feel comfortable riding it again.

I'm in.  Got Fin's original (muahahaha) and a great 2007 158 f2.  Been riding both all year.  There would be no way to make the test blind as the shape of the original 158 is obvious, partly because it's actually more like 155cm long.  One would need to deliberately not look at the boards, and I know I wouldn't be able to do that.

Indeed standard TD screws aren't long enough for the original.  I got screws 2mm longer and they work perfectly.  They go in about 5 or 6 turns, while the standard screws went in only 2 turns.

Edited by Jack Michaud