Note to New Members ×

Bomber RAB

astrokel

Hi Fin

What stops the main ‘threaded rod’ from unwanted movement/rotating when it experiences vibrations?

Fin, you mentioned that you were having a hard time finding springs that were happy with. You also explained that the springs you wanted were expensive. The springs in the picture look like a standard inexpensive flat wire spring.

Could you give the community an explanation as to why you selected the springs that you did, bit of a Springs 101 for dummies?

Thanks

Rob

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pending release of the Bomber RAB, is there anything one could do with the standard Indy spring mechanism to make it more effective?

yes, do some cutting and so on to reduce the chances of it jamming, for help with this get in contact with shaggy

Pending release of the Bomber RAB, is there anything one could do with the standard Indy spring mechanism to make it more effective?

The easy mod is to remove the brass tube and lube the bolt with some cold weather grease. That's the mod I did and I haven't had any problems with the RAB getting jammed. However, with this method, you lose your forward lean adjustment. I also installed a lighter spring.

Bobdea: correct, most of the current spring systems out there have the best intensions but fall short (IMHO) when it comes to actually working well. At one point I have a sample of every spring system currently available and found that almost all of them where grossly short on capacity. The biggest issue I found with most of them is the springs where WAY too short for the amount of travel they where expected to compress. Lets say a boot has the ability to flex forward (toe side) up to 45 degrees, these other spring systems had there springs go to solid height (fully compressed) at around 30 degrees! Imagine your car not having enough travel on the suspension, you hit a bump, it travels so far then bottoms out on the frame. Not a very linear progression on the spring. So overall travel capacity is not addressed well with these systems.

One by-product of this lack of travel is now you are compressing the spring to its solid height (the height where it is completely compressed). You are NOT supposed to have a spring application where it goes to solid. The spring then takes a set (set = spring free length gets shorter) and now its spring rate goes down (spring rate = amount of force it give per distance of compression). A general rule on springs is about 30% (max) compression of its total free length. So if you need around 1" of travel (or compression of the spring) you want a spring about 3" (minimum) long. And this happens to be exactly the lengths we calculated for our system and why we have a 3" spring on the forward flex and a 1.5" on the rearward flex.

Astrokel: I would not suggest "stacking" different rate springs. All you end up doing is compression the weaker spring to its solid height first and then maybe the stiffer one kicks in (depends on the spread of the rates). The better way to get a progressive rate is to have a spring custom wound where it uses the same wire but varies the coil spacing. Or two springs (say one inside of the other) where one is shorter then the other and kicks in partway in the compression. But do you need this exotic progressive flex. I am going to say probably not. Don't forget the shell of the boot is still part of the equation and that is adding a lot of progressive flex as it is. And to be honest, we are trying to remove that part of the equation with this system and give a more linear and controlled flex.

Tommy D: "What are the advantages of those, versus the 'locking' adjustable lean built into my 423's?" Good question. When you lock a boot out (like the stock 5 position system) you are now relying on the plastic of the boot (cuff, tongue, etc) to act as your spring resistance. As mentioned above this is not very linear and is highly effected by temperature. Cold day your boots are bricks, warm day they are noodles. A spring based system give you control over the feel of the boot and consistency as springs really do not change rate versus temperature.

Randy: Sorry just Raichle/Deeluxe at this point.

Length issue: keep in mind, the current photo shows the test model. The final version will be at least 1/2" shorter and will lay more flat against the boot. However, it looks worse then it is. On the current version I purposely tried to "poke" myself with the end of the system. You pretty much have to be a 9 year old Asian girl who's family have been contortionists for the past 200 years to make contact with the system. So, the final version is shorter and lower and it should not be an issue.

Astrokel: yea, I would like to make the top a little cleaner (great idea with the inverted nut) but we'll probably have to leave that for the next generation due to cost issues. But that does give me a reason to buy bitch'n CNC lathe (like I need a reason)!

Jeffery Day: This system is for everyone, all weights, and all abilities. This is actually one of the main reasons for this system. If you happen to be very light you can run the soft springs and back off the pre-load and get a boot that flexes to match your weight. Adjustability is the core of this system.

RCrobar: the main shaft is threaded into the lower block with some "red" (non-serviceable) thread lock. Have not had one back out yet. Finding springs was not the issue but cost was. Actually Flat form springs are not "normal" and are more expensive then round wire. The springs we are using are called "Die Springs" and are very strong and made with high-quality materials. If we wanted to use a cheaper round wire spring I needed a spring that was about 5" long! With these die version we can get it down to 3". But we also have to have them coated for corrosion protection. Combined with the fact we need at least 4 for an entire system it gets costly fast.

OK, so who wants to see a full active, computer controlled, electronically dampened, and voice activated spring system for their boots? :rolleyes: Best part is then Bordy would tell us that hard boots are not necessary and steel edges are for sissies :D

Hey if F-1 cars have explored the active suspension territory then why not us? :rolleyes: You'll need to develop a "black box" for the chip, with a chip for every run and snow condition... or even better make it like a Power Commander and carry your laptop in a backpack with you when on the hill... Let's GO CRAZY!!! :eplus2:

Oh Fin... I wasn't really concerned about self-impaling, the concern was if somehow one got into a tangle with someone on the hill (it never happens anyway right ;) ?) and the thing somehow got caught or into a position you didn't anticipate. Just something you might think about in this litigious environment (not that you need to be reminded)... :(

Fin...

So true! Steel edges are for Ninnes. GO Ceramic or Stainless or GO home. Man I wish I built stuff! Hardboots make me happy....

Fin sat right next to me with a sharpie and a smile he rubbed sharpie all over the test springs housing and said to me. o-kay see if you can drag the housing and wear off the marker on the heel side. I could not. I tried to impail my self as well Per Fins request( he is always tring to hurt me)......no dice.

:eplus2:

will test Bomber RAB system at his own risk this season on his backcountry gear and provide requested feedback as per instructed. Will sign on the dotted line in triplicate, or deny any contact whatsoever, as per pending instructions. Has been known to keep a secret much longer than necessary. What secret. Will wait for brown paper covered box with no return address to show up at an undisclosed location.

• 5 weeks later...

Sweet action, glad bomber is looking to sell something like this. It's hard to convince my friends to go HB after they find out I had to mod my boots. Will be really nice to have a turnkey solution. I've got my boot modded like carver.cc's setup but would like like to try these out.

^nice link astrokel. Saw that site a while back but lost it, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...