Note to New Members ×

Edge tuning tools 🛠️

i8summer

Hi guys ! What’s your favourite tool to sharpen your edges ?  I used the dakine mini sharpener in the past for a basic 90 deg On regular free ride boards. Now I got two carving boards at 88 and -1 deg and I’m shopping for a fancier tool that can do other angles than 90deg.  I’m open to any suggestions pros and cons. Whats better regular file or diamond stone? 

Edited by i8summer

I use this Tooltonic set:
https://www.tooltonic.com/en/boxes/33-tuning-box-plus?search_query=roto&results=4

Pricy but worth it. You get -1 and -0.5 deg tools for the base and an adjustable tool for the side wall side of the edge. Diamond file and roto-finish (also diamond) are included - also the ABS Sidewall plane, so you don't have to file it down with the (diamond-)files.

37 minutes ago, i8summer said:

Whats better regular file or diamond stone? 

Both; regular file for bigger nicks or very blunt edges and diamond for resharpening and finish.

Edited by nextcarve
  • Like 1

Hi i8Summer, Great topic. So many approaches.

SRV2 - Carrot edge tool looks amazing. Do the various grinding stones last for a long time? Out of my price range, but what a useful tool for people like you who have so many tunes to perform.

I use a variety of hand tools from local stores and from online suppliers like Toko. I often reach for a multi-tool with a rasp insert to make coarse adjustments, but I also use file jigs, clamping files or stones or rasps to them. I invested in a sidewall removal tool, which has been a good investment.

When tuning my edges I like to use a diamond stone to take out hardened areas before using a sharp file on it. When my edge hits a rock and gets damaged, the demaged spot has often been hardened by the intense pressure and heat created with the damage. I use a diamond stone to work that hardened area, then go to a multitool, or a rasp or a good file in a jig. Using a file will cut the softer metal of steel edges, but will bounce over hardened spots. Running a file over a hardened area will not produce a removal of the hardened steel, and it will damage a file.

Good tunes to all!

• Like 1

That carrot is the fanciest root vegetable I've ever seen.  Looks amazing. 

I'm on the westcoast near the ocean so don't sharpen so much. Usually very soft conditions. Next sharpening scheduled to coincide with Haleys comets next pass.  In the meantime. I'm saving my pennies for the razor tune...

https://razor-tune.com/products/razor-tune-basic-tuning-kit

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, svr2 said:

Depends on what you want to spend and how many boards you work on a season…I have the Carrot edge tool and it is a bit pricey but worth it for me as I have to tune a complete demo fleet and my own boards all the time.

https://us.sidecut.com/product/CARROT001.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlIzE4K6rggMVegatBh12HAF9EAQYASABEgIcLfD_BwE

Fancy! 🥕 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lamby said:

SRV2 - Carrot edge tool looks amazing. Do the various grinding stones last for a long time? Out of my price range, but what a useful tool for people like you who have so many tunes to perform.

@lamby the friend that recommended it to me has gotten two full seasons and +100 tunes out of one stone, so I have good faith that it will last a while.🤙🏂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, noschoolrider said:

Ski Visions Ski Sharp Edge Tuning Tool sharpens (or polishes) side and base/bevel edges simultaneously. It's extremely accurate and I've been using one for about 30 years. https://www.tognar.com/ski-visions-ski-sharp-edge-tuning-tool/

I like that one ! Looks very simple to use and can do both edges at the same time and very affordable too. 

I like my manual Swix tools and use WC guides for .5deg bottom bevel, and 1,2,3 deg side bevels.  Red, yellow and white diamond stones plus a second pass file.  I kind of enjoy going out in the garage and spending a bit of time prepping boards and skis. 

Rubber stones are a must for removing rust on the edges.  Nothing is a satisfying as removing little spots of rust from old skis with a rubber stone. 🙂

Don't forget to look at the profile of the sidewall.  Depending on that and the amount of side bevel you want, you might also need a sidewall planer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hand-tools are great for one or two boards that need minimal tuning over the season but anything more it’s mind numbing chore, we got the Swix electric edge tuner and never looked back. Base edges get touched once a season with a 0.5 degree bevel, with the Swix tool we polish weekly in a couple minutes. You only need the fine diamond disc, coarse and medium are too aggressive, the ultra fine not enough. Best money we ever spent. 

https://www.swixsport.com/us/tools/edge-tuning/ta3012-evo-pro-edge-tuner-110v/

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/6/2023 at 2:40 PM, noschoolrider said:

Ski Visions Ski Sharp Edge Tuning Tool sharpens (or polishes) side and base/bevel edges simultaneously. It's extremely accurate and I've been using one for about 30 years. https://www.tognar.com/ski-visions-ski-sharp-edge-tuning-tool/

Seems like it’s either sold out or no longer made? Can’t find it

My current kit is fixed angle side guides, an adjustable base guide, a fine ski file, DMT diamond stones (black, blue, red, green), gummy stones for deburring and rust removal, a sidewall cutter, and wet sandpaper for smoothing the sidewalls. Don't forget to smooth your sidewalls. I'll probably get a coarser ski file if I ever have to work a completely unsharpened edge again, but otherwise I think a fine file is aggressive enough.

I have multitools, but I only use them on trips, since they're much more compact than a set of fixed tools.

• Like 1