Note to New Members ×

Do I need soft boots?

gawdzira

I have been riding hard boots for around 20 years. I will be 60 next year. We are heading into the spring conditions and I want to ride for the next month. My current boots are UPZ XC12 which is the free flex/free ride version attached with Bomber TD3 sidewinder to a Coiler AMT.

I was looking at getting a Burton Step On set up so I can mount up an old as dirt twin tip for days when I would want to follow my family anywhere on the mountain. In the past, I put my old Cateks on that board and it felt like I was going to break it when the nose dug in for a turn. Therefore, I am hesitant to put the plate bindings on anything but a carving board.

Am I better off getting a shorter, bx type board that can handle the plate bindings? Do any of you ride your powder, all mountain type set up with plates on something like a K2 production board? (probably the best idea is to make a bench out of my K2 Eldorado that was a free, B grade production board from 1992, I actually made about 500 benches for K2 in the early 90's).

I have ridden plenty of softbood boards with plates. Just use softer plates, like F2 Carve / Proflex, Burton / Ibex, etc. Put the boots in walk mode, if required. Ride the angles appropriate for the board width. A bit of overhang at the back boot is ok. 

Also, I don't think the step-ons are a very good idea. Use some proper strap bindings, if you must. 

I'm not a fan of Cateks because like other US made bindings I believe that they are probably stiffer than I like. I'd not use old gear like that myself because I don't like stuff breaking, and old stuff increases that risk.

I do ride regularly on "soft boot" boards with my hard boots and F2 bindings, and that works great, for me. Obviously using soft boots also works well and the majority of people outside these pages do that. However, I certainly ride powder boards with my hard gear, and also my current daily driver a Burton Hometown Hero, which is the only board I've ridden so far which is equally happy ripping up the piste as it is in bottomless heli powder.

I would say... most powder boards are too wide to comfortably ride with hard boots & bindings, which is why I've mostly ridden SL piste boards in the past. For me a K2 Eldo would be too wide on piste. That - width - is the critical thing. Thanks to someone here my angles are now 35/40 and with those and my boots I'm close enough to the edge of the Hometown Hero to carve it hard and fast on corduroy. I think that's probably the critical thing.

p1.jpg

For clarification, the Cateks have been retired.

@BlueB what is your hesitancy with the Step On. Rave reviews by folks I talk to on the mountain. Also, I really am about to be 60 years old (not on rails in the park). I will modify the step on for the cable release up mid calf to avoid doing crunches in the snow all day. Heck, I may electrify it so I can just tweak my nipple and activate a blue tooth controller for it (patent pending).

• Like 1

I rode a lift with a guy who was using Burton' new step-in bindings and he was really happy with them.

Personally, I have been riding in hard boots exclusively since the mid-90s, all over the mountain, mostly in the terrain park (jumps, not jibs). If I was going to be riding with a low-speed group I might opt for something easier to maneuver at low speeds - softer flex, shorter sidecut radius (maybe 10m).

On a related note... this year I got a board that is flat between the between the bindings (no camber) with an early rise tip and tail, and was surprised how much more comfortable it is at low speeds, like the high-traffic areas near the lift lines. It has a 13m sidecut, so it's still plenty fun at high speeds, so overall it was a big win for versatility.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gawdzira said:

For clarification, the Cateks have been retired.

@BlueB what is your hesitancy with the Step On. Rave reviews by folks I talk to on the mountain. Also, I really am about to be 60 years old (not on rails in the park). I will modify the step on for the cable release up mid calf to avoid doing crunches in the snow all day. Heck, I may electrify it so I can just tweak my nipple and activate a blue tooth controller for it (patent pending).

Coming from hard boots, you'll have 0 support and controll with step-ons. No pros ride them. No high end instructors, or evaluators, that I ride with, like them. 2 guys are selling their new ones already, one after one run, other after couple of days. However, general public, that just flip-flops around, with 0 performance, seem to like them, for the convenience factor. 

Edited by BlueB
  • Like 1

I personally found step ons to be down right terrifying to ride. I could only describe it as feeling like the soles of my feet were firmly attached to the board but offered what felt like little to no support to my ankles.... this was on a brand new setup a friend had just got with what were the stiffest step on boots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

softer tongues on the upz and flexier plate binders on any worthy free ride/all mt board. I'm 60 and been riding a set up like this for 30 yrs. Remember a few years ago when burton's slogan was "stepins suck"? they were right burton stepins suck (though the stepon/device is an improvement) Most soft stepins suck,

Get some softer stepin plates for keeping up (down?) with the family.

r: fawcett, p: morrison Turning man banked '22. They look like step on's to me, but could be photo shopped like the K on the nose of the board. so if you're super human, give them a try. not for me. just ride what you're more comfortable on in spring like conditions. my hardboot stuff rarely comes out in the spring except maybe the first hour or two. nothing better or worse. just personal preference. 20yrs on hardboots, stick with hards. even though softboots are more fun, better suited to variable terrain, provide more agility and wear more comfortable. none of that makes sense if the rider is more comfortable riding hardboots though. happy trails "one way or another".

fawcett.stepon.jpg

I'm running the step-on Ions with the X bindings and I really like them.  I modified them as Gawdzira is planning to do, I made a little video about it. I can't use regular strap bindings as my left hip no longer allows me the flexibility to easily strap up and I am goofy-footed. I have them mounted on a Jones Flagship.

I find them easy to get into and out of, and they feel fairly solid to me.  Caveat: I am absolutely not looking for high performance carving from them.  If I want to carve, I will get out my hard boot rig and carve.  I'm having lots of fun with this setup in soft conditions and they work well in the bumps.

1 hour ago, dhamann said:

r: fawcett, p: morrison Turning man banked '22. They look like step on's to me, but could be photo shopped like the K on the nose of the board. so if you're super human, give them a try. not for me. just ride what you're more comfortable on in spring like conditions. my hardboot stuff rarely comes out in the spring except maybe the first hour or two. nothing better or worse. just personal preference. 20yrs on hardboots, stick with hards. even though softboots are more fun, better suited to variable terrain, provide more agility and wear more comfortable. none of that makes sense if the rider is more comfortable riding hardboots though. happy trails "one way or another".

fawcett.stepon.jpg

Yes, Fawcett rocks a StepOn most of the time these days unless he is riding something else for a review.

My $.02 on the StepOn setup is that I have been riding the Ion StepOn boots with StepOn X bindings for all conditions and I actually liked the setup with a couple items that bothered me:

1. No canting 

2. Limited forward lean adjustment 

3. ReFlex base flexes too much and does not have a lot of micro adjustments for stance (limited to 2cm increments on 4x4/4x2 insert boards)

4. Boots (wish there was a driver X version)

After 46 days on the setup with my Tanker 201 and Tanker 186 I had a boot failure that has made me go back to a regular strap setup.

I agree with @scottishsurferon the feeling of my foot feeling connected directly to the board and toe-heel response was amazing, however the movement and flex in the ReFlex base combination with how fast the boots became super soft even after replacing the stock Burton liners with Intuition SBC Wraps just made the setup too flexy (especially laterally) for my taste.

I am now back on Union Atlas Pro’s with Driver X boots and am happier with this setups performance.

The StepOn setup is almost there, but just not quite for me.

There will be a stiffer disc for the StepOn X for next year, but the other issues still apply for me but I might give them another try if they address some of the limitations  in the current boots offered.

cheers,

sandy

• Like 2

I have less hardboot experience than most on this forum. I transitioned back to softboots about 4 years ago. I too am in my 60s. 

My carving buddy & are riding Flow Talon boots with Flow NX2-GT bindings (I think Flow has since been bought by Nidecker). He is on his 4th generation of this Flow combo, I am on my 2nd generation. 

We both LOVE this setup. I have never had any snow-sliding (skiing, hardbooting & softbooting) footwear that offers such an intimate connection with the board and still be so comfortable. The highest praise that I can give is that I am unaware of the rider - board connection. My buddy agrees. The heel hold down is amazing.  

The Flow bindings are quick in / out - but not step-in or step-on. You have to slide your rear foot into the binding and close the highback. No more sitting on the snow.

We both have custom made Donek Flux boards. However, my riding buddy got out his late 90's (?) K2 Eldorado and absolutely loved it. 

As a Mechanical Engineer I really appreciate the design evolution and features of the new Flow equipment. 

Something to consider. Good luck!

6 hours ago, gawdzira said:

Well, if softbootsurfer says no. That would be the authority on the subject. So now I search for the medium big board with a rounded tail so I can navigate the bumps.

well...really between Phil, Blue B and Boardski, that is a lot of Expertise in HB on SB Sticks, also the Step in is great at first, then the boot turns to mush, like the Deluxe SB with plate binding sole, great Idea, but not long term, like the Malamutes, I broke two pairs of those within days of use, while using a 3 strap binding no less...SB break down typically within days, why I use a 3 strap locked high back, matters not what the boot does...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2022 at 10:06 AM, BlueB said:

Also, I don't think the step-ons are a very good idea. Use some proper strap bindings, if you must. 

Just finishing my first season on step-on. Yesterday I hit the red tail jump on birds of prey at beaver creek and got 50-60 feet of air. (I am about 240lbs). If they didn’t blow up on that jump, they aren’t going to fail on anything that 98% of riders are going to do on a normal day.  Step-ons are the real deal, and the most responsive interface I’ve had since I left hardboots…  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, b0ardski said:

I thought burton said stepins suck!!

still have some Device boot/binders from the 90s, liked them better than the clickers.

the toe locks on the stepons scare me!

I liked the Switch system the best. I think I still have few bindings and a pair of boots, somewhere in the garage. 

• Like 1

I tried the Switch, liked how they worked but the supposedly stiffest Vans boots were squishy. the K2 skylords w/built in highback were as good as my driverX's but still mushy forward flex. Driver X with flows was the closest I could get to my Raichle 123s in performance.

stepins dont suck, laces suck, BOAs are just metal shoestrings, all soft boots lack the progressive flex offered by a hinged plastic shell:argue:

• Like 1