Note to New Members ×

Thinking about new non-stepins

1xsculler

I like F-2s but is there a better choice?

Is there any reason why I can’t just move the front bail of my F2 Titanflex stepins to the rear and add a F2 toe clip to the front?

Update: yes you can move the front bail to the rear BUT you can’t use a non-stepin rear bail on the front I just discovered due to the quite different bail shape. 

15 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

I like F-2s but is there a better choice?

Yes, SG bindings. Same concept but better material, better bolt placement for bails.

i have been using them exclusively for last 4 seasons and now I have 5 pairs. Needless to say, I love’em

• Like 1

Don't see why would you pay the extra for SG bindings. 

I can understand bomber being made out of different material to F2s.

SGs are just an evolution of F2s at more then double the price?

How many racers actually race SG bindings ?

And yes I did have SGs.

Edited by slapos
  • Like 2

Define "better"

The F2 race titanium are going to work for 95% of people just fine.  I'm with Slapos on the SG.  I don't see the point in spending double the money for a modified F2.  I've put my F2s through more abuse than most and while you need to replace wear items, they are strong and reliable.

If you like American made, shiny, tough aluminum bindings then you obviously must go with the Bombers.  Little pieces on the Bombers aren't going to wear out like the F2s.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

Define "better"

The F2 race titanium are going to work for 95% of people just fine.  I'm with Slapos on the SG.  I don't see the point in spending double the money for a modified F2.  I've put my F2s through more abuse than most and while you need to replace wear items, they are strong and reliable.

If you like American made, shiny, tough aluminum bindings then you obviously must go with the Bombers.  Little pieces on the Bombers aren't going to wear out like the F2s.

Is there any reason why I can’t just install the toe bail from my F2 Titanflex stepins on the rear and buy F2 non-step-in, locking toe bails on the front?

7 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

It's not just the durability, I think the performance is superior.  Every time I try F2s I simply cannot deal with all that lateral flex.  To see if it was just me, last year I convinced former USSRT member Nate True to try Bombers and he was blown away by the responsiveness.

30 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Toes are lower than heels. 

Will the parts fit?

I will be setting lift and cant anyway. 

49 minutes ago, Jack M said:

It's not just the durability, I think the performance is superior.  Every time I try F2s I simply cannot deal with all that lateral flex.  To see if it was just me, last year I convinced former USSRT member Nate True to try Bombers and he was blown away by the responsiveness.

I appreciate that, Jack, I didn’t know there was that much difference in lateral flex. 

10 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

Will the parts fit?

I will be setting lift and cant anyway.

I doubt it.  A heel bail needs to be higher than a toe bail. Not sure what lift or cant have to do with it, I am talking about how the bail fits over the ledge on either the toe or the heel of the boot.

2 hours ago, Jack M said:

I wonder if I could reduce the lateral flexibility of F2s by replacing the front and rear foam pads with rigid plastic or wood. Might just up my game. 

Is SG bindings gives better riding experience than F2? Does it justify the cost difference? All matter of personal opinion.

To me, the cost difference is negligible. I am not paying for >$1k plate system. I like that all are 4mm hex and can carry the L-shape in the binding just in case if binding needs to be adjusted. 

To OP, If you are in CO or visiting to CO, I am more than happy to lend you my SG bindings for test ride 😊 I recommend to try as many different binding as possible to see what you like the best.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

I wonder if I could reduce the lateral flexibility of F2s by replacing the front and rear foam pads with rigid plastic or wood. Might just up my game. 

I doubt it.  I think much of the flex comes from the thin baseplate and all the plastic parts.

• Like 1

some rider preferred very little delay between input -> output.
That's when a rigid/stiff setup come.

some flex allow better tune modulation/throttle response.

We don't always ride in perfect condition; certain "noise"/"give" threshold between high/low is good.
Otherwise we will all be riding solid piece of metal.

strength/weight/style also play a big part.  Find what work for you.  stick with one setup and work on technique/dial in setup first.  I feel this is the year i will take my own advice for once lol..

Just a long way of saying - personal preference.  I tend to try everything under the sun but i don't spent the time/effort to dial it in.  That likely make more of a difference.  Your milage might vary.

If you dial in your setup; you can make an A/B test to see if more rigid or more flex binding suit you better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slapos said:

If lateral flex in F2s is not an issue to the racing teams, why would it be an issue to a carver?

With all due respect, there is a massive copycat mentality in racing.  F2 boards are probably just as good as Kessler or SG or Oxess, but you don't see them much at all in the men's circuit.  Why?

Frankly I think a lot of racers have simply grown up on F2 bindings, and have heard that "Bombers are too stiff", so they never tried them and have developed their technique around F2 bindings.

This was part of my interest with USSRT member Nate True.  I caught wind that his F2 bindings broke (shocker!) and that he was in the market for new bindings.  I offered to send him a new pair of Bombers for the price of a new pair of F2s.  He agreed and was blown away by the superior performance.  I just checked in with him again and he is still loving his Bombers.

@TVR's son is a Bomber racer now at Steamboat, I have very high hopes for him.

1 hour ago, slapos said:

Also if later flex is a bad thing, why bomber has sidewinder option?

Frankly they were a bit of a desperation move to try to attract F2 binding racers to the brand.  And hey, it's another option that you may or may not prefer.  I tried them and had a similar impression as F2s.

10 hours ago, Jack M said:

I get what you're saying, but ultimately it comes down to personal preference.  I rode bombers for several years but F2s work better for my riding style. Yes, I've tried them again since.  I'm an obligate hardbooter for all conditions and there's too much energy transfer off piste with the bombers.  Making an "off" landing on F2s is much easier on the knees and the ankles.  I wouldn't be against having a set of bombers if I just wanted to carve all day. Glad to see the debate will never die. 

7 hours ago, yamifumi said:

To me, the cost difference is negligible. I am not paying for >$1k plate system. I like that all are 4mm hex and can carry the L-shape in the binding just in case if binding needs to be adjusted. 

Ok, Mr Zylon. Wish I could say the same! Just giving you some friendly ribbing, you know I have nothing but respect for you.  Hopefully we can take some turns.  If you got an epic pass hit me up for some Beav 

• Thanks 1