Note to New Members ×

Thinking about new non-stepins

1xsculler

I could be remembering wrong.

The weight of sg bindings + apex plate is about the weight of a bomber td3 sw binding; or at least it feels like it.

I have also noticed I am less sore riding SG bindings over Bomber TD3 sw'ers.

I have broken brand new F2 bindings in about 6 runs; the SG bindings are going strong for me for close to 100+ days. Disclaimer: I could have not screwed the binding together as tightly as I should have years ago for F2s (the toe/heel blocks to the bindings); I remember at that time letting up after I hit some resistance + force turn a bit more; I put way more torque into various bolts now to tighten. I do all sorts of weird shit, including counter rotating on purpose on every turn; sitting on the toilet on heel-sides; they are not breaking.

I personally couldn't go back to Bombers, I don't need the responsiveness at all. The TD3 sidewinders (blue e-pad) are stiffer than f2/sgs. As for the yellow e-pads, they move so easily, I just feel myself bottoming out on the lateral flex carpet carving.

Edited by Odd Job

13 hours ago, Jack M said:

@TVR's son is a Bomber racer now at Steamboat, I have very high hopes for him.

I am not shitting on F2's here, this is just info:

My son runs bombers, and has even moved to TD2's for a reason.

For every rider, there needs to be some flex at or about the bindings. Some like the bindings to flex, while others like the boots to flex. People also tend to see someone win a race, and move to that equipment regardless. Most riders today want very stiff boots, and use F2s for their flex.

My son has a little more flex in the boots and less in the bindings. He has done that because he has tried F2s twice, and both times had a failure. Both sets were modern (less than 3 years old) but not new. Both sets inspected out to look great. He will continue to try them, as F2s might fix their past issues.

My son has ripped a total of 2 bails out of his eye hooks on TD3s and has never broken a set of TD2s. due to this, he runs TD2s on his race boards and in racing and has "confidence" in them as they are built ridiculously tough. The bails are slightly larger in thickness than other bindings like the F2s and they slightly 'stick' in the heel slot meaning you twist the foot out when unhooked. He doesn't like the sidewinders as they "act differently" depending on the temperature, as in 35 degrees the bumpers it pivots on as softer and at -20 they are hard cement bricks, so he likes consistency in his ride. 

TD2s and TD3s are heavier and add about 5lbs to the boards overall weight....

Hope this was helpful.

Edited by TVR
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

Ok, Mr Zylon. Wish I could say the same! Just giving you some friendly ribbing, you know I have nothing but respect for you.  Hopefully we can take some turns.  If you got an epic pass hit me up for some Beav 

Haha, maybe I am just eating all the instant ramen noodle jk.

same to you as well man, you are one heck of a rider! I do have epic local this yr and I gotta hit beaver soon!

I rode Cateks for several years (10+ yrs ago). They certainly look bomb proof and you'd think they'd be the stiffest. After mounting a gopro on the board behind the boots I was surprised to see significant lateral rocking between the boots and bindings. Kind of like what you see with F2's.

My daughter raced with the SSWSC when they were involved in developing the td3 sidewinders. She actually worked for Fin at the time. Yes, they were trying to duplicate the F2 movement using Fin's bomb proof materials. My daughter (and most racers, I believe) pretty much replaced all their equipment (boots, bindings, boards) each season. Maybe keeping last years stuff for training or back-up, depending on your budget. Racers are way harder on equipment then recreational carvers and break stuff a lot. 

She switched back to F2's after one season racing with the SW and sold me her prototypes. I liked them way better than my Cateks. They were my first pair of Bombers. She had a bad season with the them, even broke some bails. Being on the same equipment as the racers that are beating you levels the playing field, otherwise you won't know if it's you or your equipment. Eliminate the variables.

I have had some bails break on both F2's and TD3 SW. They were on bindings I bought used and likely had been abused. Haven't had any failures on stuff I bought new. I have to say I'm liking how F2's feel under foot. There's better board feel, despite the lateral play, the heel/toe connection on the board feels more direct, and they're lighter. 

I like having a certain amount of play or forgiveness in both my bindings and boots to dampen any shocks and bumps before they reach my old and damaged knees.  

• Like 1

Catek was a viable solution until the business side went under.
TD1 was stiff with very little give but put extra load on the board and might pull the insert out/damage the board.

Pro: Catek is great for adjustability.
Con: Catek have that kingpin/Jesus Nut - single point of failure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_nut

• Like 2

Once again thanks for all of the replies. 

I’m going to order toe clips from yyzcanuck, install them on the front of my F2 Titanflex stepins and move the front bails to the rear position. I am doing this conversion so, with UPZs front and rear DIN toe and heel pieces I can use my RC8s for boarding and skiing and won’t have to lug two pairs of boots when going to Jackson Hole with grandkids. 
Andrea at yyzcanuck says it won’t work. I have inspected things pretty carefully and I hope to prove her wrong. 

@1xsculler I should have re-read your original post. I don't know much about trading off parts and what fits both ski boots and snowboard boots. Good luck with your experiment.

But, regarding the discussion of binding flex. Titanflex? I tried them and hated how squishy-washy they felt. Love the feel of Race Titaniums. Sidewinders have a similar lateral flex, but don't have the same direct toe/heel to board feel. The SW e-ring dampens the ride without a squishy-washy feel. Although I have not spent much time on Carve RS, I think they have a flex somewhere between Titanflex and Race Titaniums.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 2:00 PM, 1xsculler said:

Once again thanks for all of the replies. 

I’m going to order toe clips from yyzcanuck, install them on the front of my F2 Titanflex stepins and move the front bails to the rear position. I am doing this conversion so, with UPZs front and rear DIN toe and heel pieces I can use my RC8s for boarding and skiing and won’t have to lug two pairs of boots when going to Jackson Hole with grandkids. 
Andrea at yyzcanuck says it won’t work. I have inspected things pretty carefully and I hope to prove her wrong. 

I installed F2 front clip toe bails and moved the front Titanflex bails to the rear position and I can’t see any problems…everything fit with no issues. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 5:33 AM, dredman said:

What are your reasons for wanting to try something different? 

I thought I might prefer standard toeclip bindings but I’m over that after having experimented…sticking to either F-2 Titanflex or F-2 raceplates both with intec heels. 

On 1/9/2022 at 3:42 PM, bigwavedave said:

Although I have not spent much time on Carve RS, I think they have a flex somewhere between Titanflex and Race Titaniums

Carve RS are the flexiest of them all. These bindings would work for a very light rider or on a powder board. Titanflex are the medium flex binding in their line up. Titanflex can be converted close to a titanium by eliminating the plastic base and foam toe/heel pads and shorter mounting screws. Worked great but I needed another flexy binding for another pow board and decided to reconvert back.