Note to New Members ×

Olympics 2022 (spoiler alert)

west carven

I like it. Adds the technical aspect you find in bmx and mx racing. The faster your speed is at the end, the higher chance you have to pull away. What I disliked the most was when they had humongous consecutive jumps for a few years.

I think baumgartner's knees were basically above his head when he sucked them up over the jump to make that pass. That was damn impressive. 

Meh, SBX is not hardbooting and it's designed to favor speed maintenance/gain over rollers. The banked turns are technical in their own way. It's a different style of riding and the equipment has developed to match. 

I took a Donek Sabre SRT (I think?) out for a test ride in Aspen, maybe 10 years ago. I promptly fell on my face in the first turn. It doesn't turn tight; it's made to ride the banks and hold speed with a large sidecut and special flex pattern. A very specialized tool for a specialized job. I didn't enjoy it at all! Sean laughed and said it's not meant for freecarving. 

On 2/10/2022 at 6:55 AM, Jonny said:

It was NEVER showboating. It was call-out to the roots of the sport and the skateboarding roots of the roots. Jacobellis was an accomplished half-pipe rider and skater and entitled to grab whenever she felt like it. In that circumstance, NOT to grab would have been a concession to the idea that SBX had gone over entirely to the race world and there was, in 2006, only eight years after Terje/Nagano, still a lot of resistance to the olympic approach to snowboarding.

The fact that she fell is sad and really bizarre, but I gave and still give her a lot of credit for the move

I consider her to have been incredibly stupid. Why even make the effort to do all it takes to go to the Olympics if showing off is more important than a Gold medal? very selfish and foolish of her, IMHO!

a) I don't think she would have pulled it if she thought she was going to fall

b) I have to question if it was planned/ decided so much as just a vibe in the moment

c) this happened several years ago, funny we still care. athletes mess up all the time- it's part of the game

d) she just won. might be time for us to talk about that?

30 minutes ago, Mr.E said:

a) I don't think she would have pulled it if she thought she was going to fall

b) I have to question if it was planned/ decided so much as just a vibe in the moment

c) this happened several years ago, funny we still care. athletes mess up all the time- it's part of the game

d) she just won. might be time for us to talk about that?

No, she got second place, right?  You have to come across the finish line first to have won. 

1 hour ago, Mr.E said:

Lindsey-Jacobellis-Just-Won-Team-USA-Its

So they gave her the gold even though she finished 2nd??? What am I missing???

What I am missing is that I didn’t do my homework. I should have realized that she robed her team and herself out of a Gold medal in 2006, not 2022, by showboating. 
I apologize for that. 

5 hours ago, johnasmo said:

“She grabbed again on the last jump of this year's pairs (mixed team) BX.  Vindicated.
Indy instead of method, but still a grab.”

She has been grabbing her board for years during races, her background is in slopestyle and halfpipe. I honestly think it is a balance and comfort thing for her. 

I love it. It’s a fun throwback. I get the need for speed and efficiency but everyone flapping their arms on the rollers and in the air just…..well it just isn’t that stylish is it? I know most of us who like going fast are mostly more concerned with efficiency, but at the end of the day so much of snowboarding from its roots has been about style when riding the mountain, and SBX is really the best representation of all-mountain competitive riding we have in the public eye. Even though it’s not really and still racing.

Anyway I respect the method attempt in 2006 and I loved the older wiser indy this year. She is a complete legend and has had a lot of good and bad luck throughout her career. Great to see a legend finally get that double gold medal she’s deserved for a long time.

I was going to say it’s an inspiration for all us old riders but at the end of the day she’s still a super hot mid-30s pro athlete at the top of her game, guess I can’t pretend like she’s Nick Baumgartner or anything hahaha

Edited by ShortcutToMoncton

6 hours ago, johnasmo said:

She grabbed again on the last jump of this year's pairs (mixed team) BX.  Vindicated.
Indy instead of method, but still a grab.

She grabbed indy or frontside for stabilization several times throughout the 2006 race too.  The difference was the tweaked out method at the end of the 2006 race.  She hasn't done that in these games. 

On 2/10/2022 at 2:50 PM, Jack M said:

Apex.  Not to be confused with the former plate maker.  They also make alpine race boards but they are not popular in WC for whatever reason.

Daniela Ulbing used to ride a Apex before SG.

I owned quite a few Apexes in the past - they all ride superb.

Small manufactory make them right next to Kaprun in Austria.

Ton of custom boards they do as well and have all proper race constructions.

On 2/12/2022 at 11:26 AM, BlueB said:

What is missing is some technical parts. Maybe some linked turns and some big sweeping turns without, or minimal, berms. 

The upper/middle section of the skicross course seems to have some sections that match those characteristics. Some of the turns remind me of a super g course.

1 hour ago, GeoffV said:

Surprised no one has posted anything on Mikaela Shiffrin struggle in 3 races. She’s got one more chance in the team event. The weight on her shoulders mst be rushing her with the entire world watching. 

Utterly bizarre but Mikaela is handling it like a champ. She basically just had to finish the slalom in the combined to get some sort of medal, and had to ski just close to her own standard to win gold by a second, and the snow-snakes got her. Reminds me eerily of Simone Biles' experience in the Summer. I loved that she was able to talk about her first nine turns with such pride and excitement. Still a terrible shock. I do think the weird ultra-dry snow had something to do with it, but that's only part of the story. Super-classy of Goggia to lend her those DH skis but the girls generally seem to have that kind of relationship. Ledecka won the Super-G last time on, I think, Mikaela's backups.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Mikaela is handling it like a champ

I don't know about that, I think she is being very hard on herself and has gone way too deep into the dark corners of her mind.  Last night I saw her say hers was possibly the worst failure in the history of the Olympics.  She needs some serious support, coaching, and sports psychology right now.  Hope she comes back from all this and crushes World Cup.

13 hours ago, west carven said:

here is some good stats on ester ledecka … 4th women's alpine combined … ski monster too … 

She is the Queen of Winter!