Note to New Members ×

Olympics 2022 (spoiler alert)

west carven

57 minutes ago, Jack M said:

True, which is why I said they're not telling the whole story.  But it couldn't be contra.

I think that older FC Virii, Volkls and Elans actually were contra. Just from eyeballing them. But, I guess, really not ideal for modern racing. 

50 minutes ago, GeoffV said:

23 (correct that 28 now) ordered at what price entry per board? Let's say $2,500 at least????

@inkaholicsomething has got to be missing in this story that is not being shared. That was a HUGE risk for Karl to jump on a brand new proto and run it in the Olympics. Yeah it worked out for him and I am super happy for him, but there is no way Karl didn't get some training laps on that board before jumping into a PGS race. 

Geoff, I took it to mean his first ride on it was on the first training day in China, not the day of the race. I'm sure he had tested others and decided on changes for his final race board and Frank got it done just in time. Still a huge risk. Like I posted elsewhere, Vic saying he wouldn't be on F2 two weeks in front of the games if he thought they weren't good. Changing equipment right in front of a race is always a big risk.

ink

@lonbordinThat was the pic my son sent along with the words.

Edited by inkaholic

24 minutes ago, BlueB said:

I think that older FC Virii, Volkls and Elans actually were contra. Just from eyeballing them. But, I guess, really not ideal for modern racing. 

I've ridden older Volkls, they were definitely not contra.  Contra feels like nothing else, and frankly it's not my cup of tea.

Just now, Jack M said:

I've ridden older Volkls, they were definitely not contra.  Contra feels like nothing else, and frankly it's not my cup of tea.

Yeah, me too and loved them. 

I said only from eyeballing... 

The Vampire I had long ago definitely looked tighter in the middle than nose/tail. But again, I haven't ridden a real Contra/Thirst. 

1 hour ago, GeoffV said:

23 (correct that 28 now) ordered at what price entry per board? Let's say $2,500 at least????

Price is on the website, EU 1199 for a stock version.

10 minutes ago, BlueB said:

The Vampire I had long ago definitely looked tighter in the middle than nose/tail

A typical parabolic sidecut would look like that.

5 minutes ago, Ladia said:

I was always wondered why those few great builder building boards for most of us were pretty much overlooked by top racing community, but answer was and still is pretty obvious.

Guess I'm thick.  What do you think the answer is?

6 hours ago, Jack M said:

Contra is nothing like elliptical. 

Before naming it Contra, Bruce described it as mid-tight, as opposed to having the longer scr in the middle.

6 hours ago, Lurch said:

Indeed, and contra is only an approximation of a Thirst.

Having ridden them back to back, the difference is like night and day! It's in the core. :ph34r:

• Like 1

I thought religion/politics are discourage lol.... 🤣 

/flame on
there are ppl don't carve well on board X.  ie me.... 3 cents driver(inflation) but my quivers is pretty extensive/expensive(SG, Oxess, Donek, Coiler).   
i also see ppl carve extreme well on "older" but modern shape/construction.

mere mortal like me hit diminishing return very quickly.
like wine, car, computer, cellphone - once you are above the "crap threshold".  most of what I am paying for are "stuff that make me feel better".

gear does not make one carve.  if you are skillful enough to appreciated the subtle differences; then more power to you.   Maybe one day i will get there.

• Like 1

Radial, clothoid, parabolic, elliptical...  a few of many possible transition curves between two radii.  What are the chances there's only one transition curve in that design?

Contra is a shape, not a curve.  Right now it uses third equation of motion for its transition curves, but that's not what matters.  What's important is what and where the transitions are between.

Contra might be a western thing-- born of carving natural snow and crud.  Could be applied to racing too, but pry not as-is.  Mixing some with race shapes could make the difference between a DNF and a clean finish for some racers though.

Sean's "secret" construction is the real deal.  Calms and smooths things down similar to titanal without being as stiff.  Weighs about the same though, or maybe even more.  I'd chose it over 0.4mm titanal, but not 0.3mm if you can get that.

And on the Olympic front, Taylor Gold just qualified for the pipe final on a Donek.  Woo Hoo!

Edited by johnasmo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Congratulations to Lindsey Jacobellis on finally nabbing gold on her 5th try!

I should have known better than to read this thread before watching events I care about.  Oh well, that's awesome.  So glad she finally has that monkey off her back after the showboating catastrophe in 2006.

• Like 1

• Jack M changed the title to Olympics 2022 (spoiler alert)
12 minutes ago, Jack M said:

I should have known better than to read this thread before watching events I care about.  Oh well, that's awesome.  So glad she finally has that monkey off her back after the showboating catastrophe in 2006.

Sorry. I am not sure what the point of this thread would be if we had to keep it spoiler free. 

12 hours ago, west carven said:

howdy

so no medals and flowers in the ceremonials, only that stupid kung fu panda. where was the country song and flag? … old guys don't like change ...

The medals ceremony is done the evening on the "medal plaza" where they receive the real medals.

The mini panda is just for a mini ceremony on the slopes. But some events do have their medals ceremony onsite when their location is too far away from the main athletes village.

It did happen in previous Olympics too.

Regards,

D.