Note to New Members ×

What have you learned this season?

lonbordin

This season is tough for me.  feel like i lost what little progress i made over the years.
Rage quit for a bit...

"Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast"
It apply in many front.
Spent the time dial in the setup in a methodical fashion. 
i say that every season but lack of empirical good/bad have always hinder me acutely doing it properly.
Finger crossed that i finally have some faint idea on what good vs bad is.

This I learned Monday and Tuesday of this week. 
I watched soft boot carving vids Sunday night and demoed a 156 Lib tech Dynamo with my UPZs/F2 stepins, 35/20 on Monday and that may have changed my life. 
Much to my surprise, since I have spent no more than a couple of hours total on a board designed for soft boots, I could actually really carve on groomers on that setup and it seemed to turn all by itself in pow. It was a ton of fun. 
On my 162 Contra, 9.5, 19.5, 45/40 Tuesday and trying to emulate yesterday. 
By far the best carving day of my life. I found myself carving right behind Tony, arc for arc, on pitches I couldn’t carve  on a week ago.
The first half of the first run on my 162 Contra was terrible but I found my edge in the last half and really got on it over the next five runs...lots of pencil lines and nice “Cs”.

Made my last run on my 166 Contra, 19, 11, 55/55 and began to find my edge towards the end of the run...can’t wait til Friday, Monday and Tuesday and then off to Maui. 
I’m a little embarrassed to admit it but chugging 187ml of white wine (the smallest bottle you can buy) just before getting out of my car and heading for the lift provides me with a noticeable attitude improvement especially when I am tired from a night of poor sleep. 

• Like 2

Being alive tops most other things. Friends in your hours of need are precious. 6 months of dual antiplatelet treatment after modern cardiac stents will likely turn out to be plenty.

Just bought my pass for this Southern winter. There's a new to me Thirst SC in the garage snuggled up next to a Coiler, a Kessler, and a RadAir. And I have friends to ride with in August.

Life is good.

(And I get my first Pfizer Covid shot this morning) 🤓

• Like 6

On 3/30/2021 at 11:28 AM, SunSurfer said:

Being alive tops most other things. Friends in your hours of need are precious. 6 months of dual antiplatelet treatment after modern cardiac stents will likely turn out to be plenty.

Just bought my pass for this Southern winter. There's a new to me Thirst SC in the garage snuggled up next to a Coiler, a Kessler, and a RadAir. And I have friends to ride with in August.

Life is good.

(And I get my first Pfizer Covid shot this morning) 🤓

I hope you recover well!

On 3/25/2021 at 9:27 AM, Jack M said:

I think the screws get loaded in unusual ways by the plate while riding.  Even if the screws went in just fine, I stripped some while un-mounting the plate.  I had never experienced such a thing - screw in, good, unscrew, strip!  😡  I had to have several inserts repaired with a tap.  After becoming diligent about lube, it hasn't happened again.

As I think we discussed, there are several grades of stainless fastener, and some are made of cheese. Odds are good that someone at the fastener factory dropped the wrong piece of stock into the bar feeder on the screw machine, and AllFlex unknowingly shipped a batch of 'non-compliant' screws.

The AllFlex and derivatives have been on the market long enough that if the plates were, by some ingenious device, spontaneously welding thread to thread, you'd have heard reports by now?

The feel of the tap cutting the junk from the inserts was indicative of galling. The short term solution, as you found, is some form of barrier/lube. The long term fix is fastener/insert compatibility. 

If you run short on Chap-Stick, try spf 50 Dermatone, or unsalted peanut butter. 

FWIW, regarding power tools, I've R&R'd many bindings with a 1/2" Milwaukee corded, clutchless drill.

Don't recall any galled threads.

Meanwhile, I've had hardware store grade stainless fasteners lock solid after a few turns using hand tools.

Edited by Beckmann AG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beckmann AG said:

If you run short on Chap-Stick, try spf 50 Dermatone, or unsalted peanut butter

I was wondering why my sodium free nut butter was emblazoned with the caution "not edible" - clearly I should not have assumed it could both compliment the lazer cat satay and unfreeze my galled Whitworths. I appreciate this insight Beckmann. As you were.

Edited by Lurch
no cats were harmed during this

On 3/30/2021 at 10:05 AM, 1xsculler said:

.... snipped.

I’m a little embarrassed to admit it but chugging 187ml of white wine (the smallest bottle you can buy) just before getting out of my car and heading for the lift provides me with a noticeable attitude improvement especially when I am tired from a night of poor sleep. 

Back in 1983 When teaching snowboarding at Magic Mountain VT  and we needed A high strong nervous student to relax We would hand them an oil can of fosters lager. We called that  “the fosters challenge“. You had to finish the beer before you got to the top of the 1500’ vert. Lift. 

That Fosters slowed down  jerky reactions just enough and gave enough carbonated courage for them to be a little more aggressive with their snowboarding while simultaneously being relaxed and less frustrated if they fell, because they could blame it on the booze and just laugh it off.  Worked every time. That’s how we taught Michael Capalettti of Madd snowboards and his wife Stephanie ( she wore a full impact suit and laughed hysterically every time she fell. Apparently fosters works even better on Koreans).

Edited by John Gilmour
  • LOL 3

13 hours ago, John Gilmour said:

Back in 1983 When teaching snowboarding at Magic Mountain VT  and we needed A high strong nervous student to relax We would hand them an oil can of fosters lager. We called that  “the fosters challenge“. You had to finish the beer before you got to the top of the 1500’ vert. Lift. 

That Fosters slowed down  jerky reactions just enough and gave enough carbonated courage for them to be a little more aggressive with their snowboarding while simultaneously being relaxed and less frustrated if they fell, because they could blame it on the booze and just laugh it off.  Worked every time. That’s how we taught Michael Capalettti of Madd snowboards and his wife Stephanie ( she wore a full impact suit and laughed hysterically every time she fell. Apparently fosters works even better on Koreans).

I am really happy to hear that I am not the only one who finds that a little bit of alcohol can actually be beneficial to one’s progression in alpine carving. 
As part of “what did I learn this year”, conditions permitting, I am going to install my F2 Titanflexes and ride in my UPZs at 35/20 on my son-in-law’s 153 Orca, Capita Mothership 58W and GNU Rider’s Choice 157.5 and find out how they carve on groomers tomorrow and Tuesday and then my season is likely over. 
One of the new things I have learned this year is that I need a very quick very tight turning pow board, for Jackson steep and deep, that I can also carve on groomers as I did on a demo 156 Libtech Dynamo last Monday and then I need to work with Bruce to fill that hole in my quiver.  

4 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

I am going to install my F2 Titanflexes and ride in my UPZs at 35/20 on my son-in-law’s 153 Orca, Capita Mothership 58W and GNU Rider’s Choice 157.5 and find out how they carve on groomers tomorrow and Tuesday 

Unlock your rear boot and set the spring of the front one to softest. You'll like it better that way. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, BlueB said:

Unlock your rear boot and set the spring of the front one to softest. You'll like it better that way. 

I am currently riding front and rear UPZs in walk mode and it seems to work pretty well. I may find out differently tomorrow. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 12:17 AM, 1xsculler said:

I am currently riding front and rear UPZs in walk mode and it seems to work pretty well. I may find out differently tomorrow. 

Or get the XC 12 boots. I like these both for powder boards and carving Considering selling my barely used RC 12 boots.