Note to New Members ×

What have you learned this season?

lonbordin

On 3/17/2021 at 12:36 AM, 1xsculler said:

What brand are your old (hard?) boots?

Upz

22 hours ago, hknz said:

That's interesting. What is your weight? and how to modify your boots?

I am 168cm/135lbs and use MS951. The tongue was cut and cracked into a spider web and I get rid of all spring. Then I barely flex the boots.

165ish. My boots are Lange plugs that I've made a spring system for and cut away material to allow greater range of motion.

• Like 1

My self perception lies!  Videos prove that what I think I am doing and what I am doing are QUITE different.  Obviously videos lie more.
My legs are not as strong as I thought they were.
My brain does not believe in completing the carve back up the hill ... thar be dragons!  

Consequently I have decided to order one of the new style boards that just requires one to lean over, relaxedly, and then does all the work for one, including perfect ice edge hold, super high carve backs and elegant steeps.  The cost to improvement effort ratio makes it cheap at the price.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Eboot said:

My self perception lies!  Videos prove that what I think I am doing and what I am doing are QUITE different.  Obviously videos lie more.
My legs are not as strong as I thought they were.
My brain does not believe in completing the carve back up the hill ... thar be dragons!  

Consequently I have decided to order one of the new style boards that just requires one to lean over, relaxedly, and then does all the work for one, including perfect ice edge hold, super high carve backs and elegant steeps.  The cost to improvement effort ratio makes it cheap at the price.

A good reason why I don’t post vids.
When you find one of those boards please let me know. 

• Like 2

Although everyone rides different everyone is the same...in the pursuit of the edge.

My son Jacques (in black on skis) and I spent Sunday at Schweitzer with a group of riders who exhibited very diverse styles of riding. 

A couple of years ago my wife told me that when she told her girlfriends that we were traveling out west to snowboard with carvers I meet on a forum they were incredulous. Her response to them was that it may be unusual but everyone we meet is for the most part very friendly and willing to share the stoke and this past weekend was another example.

Thanks to 

@BLOODTYPEZX10R

@b0ardski

@ExcelsiorTheFathead

@dkp

and Dave.

Edited by Chouinard
  • Like 6

Technique:

A good exercise to focus on is sole carving, or pressuring the souls of both feet using heel & toe pressure (rather than boot cuffs) to get the board on edge and keep it there through the turn. I imagine anyone who rides softboots probably already knows this. I never spent much time in softies, but learned to focus on this many years ago to improve my edge on ice and steeps.

I recently realized that by focusing on this and less on boot cuffs to lever the board, it minimized stress to my knees and helped me ride with less aggravation to a healing PCL injury from 2 years ago.

I think it can also improve your riding. Thinking about it now, it seems it forces you to balance over your edge (bend zee knees, angulate etc), otherwise you'll just fall over.

Equipment:

Check TD3 lugs and replace if frozen (before the bail breaks) and use anti-seize grease on the lug/bail threads when reassembling.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I still find myself slarving where Tony can carve and that really pisses me off. 
I have learned a ton this season and I will bore you with the details as time allows. 
1.  A board can make a significant difference BUT not nearly as much difference as rider technique. 
2.  Slarving is mostly a bad habit and it can be a difficult one to break. Viewing your track from the chair doesn’t lie BUT, in your heart, you already know the truth before you see your tracks. 
3. Haveing a fellow carver, as a role model, carving on the runs you ride makes a huge difference. This is the first season I have had this. THANKS TO TONY! During the 18/19 season Tony and I were pretty much equal except he had a history of 20 years of soft boot riding to my none and he is 25 years younger, i.e. we both slarved most of the time. The first time we rode together this season it was obvious that he had found his edge and had sprinted ahead of me. He disciplines himself to stay on edge whenever possible and he’ll throw a lay down “norm “ to falling over in there every once in a while. He sets a great example and I can visualize his movements and body position even when I am riding by myself.

You can make very sharp turns and still be slarving and that pisses me off...my problem.

I have good days and not so good days but any day on the slopes is better than any day hanging out and only going for a 40 minute row for my exercise which I enjoy very much too. 

Tony is my substitute for attending  MCC and riding with him is much more instructive because we are riding on the only slopes I will ever ride on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1xsculler said:

I have learned a ton this season and I will bore you with the details as time allows. 
1.  A board can make a significant difference BUT not nearly as much difference as rider technique. 
2.  Slarving is mostly a bad habit and it can be a difficult one to break. Viewing your track from the chair doesn’t lie BUT , in your heart, you already know the truth before you see your tracks. 
3. Haveing a fellow carver, as a role model, carving on the runs you ride makes a huge difference. This the first season I have had this. THANKS TO TONY!

Really glad to hear you being so happy about your riding! This sounds like a huge difference over last year! 🏂👍

On 3/17/2021 at 3:16 AM, Jack M said:

1. Lubricating Allflex screws is absolutely essential, or they will strip.

May I ask about this process? Might need to know this for next season!

On 2/24/2021 at 11:20 PM, GeoffV said:

Hey I have figured out some exercises that have helped my back issues a lot. I may be older but my back is in better shape this season. 

Recently I started swimming again after a brief 20 odd year hiatus and I've found swimming (front crawl/freestyle) has helped my back/neck health a lot. I've had lower back issues since a horse riding incident when I was 13.

And when I think about it, it makes a lot of sense. Since most (or sometimes all) of the propulsion comes from the upper body, when combined with the rotation that occurs during freestyle, you are constantly stretching and rotating your spine into alignment as you drag your entire body through the water. kind of like a friendly, partial version of the rack.

After a swimming session I feel like someone has patched a new spine into my back.

Edited by daveo
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

A good exercise to focus on is sole carving, or pressuring the souls of both feet using heel & toe pressure (rather than boot cuffs) to get the board on edge and keep it there through the turn.

I think this might help me quite a bit. Thanks BWD! I’ll try it tomorrow and/or Friday and for the next two weeks when my season ends. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 4:12 AM, bumpyride said:

Was finally able to dial in the stereo, to where my jaw just dropped.

This sounds super cool. Can you share some details about your stereo? 

I'm just using a basic JBL Pro 2 studio monitor + 2 subwoofer set up to get full range stereo sound. It's very rudimentary and cheap but quite effective. Nothing special or exotic.

1 minute ago, Jack M said:

I used what I had available.... chapstick.  Just smear some on the threads and go.  There's probably a better product.  I'm not fussy.

So just apply it to the entire bolt's thread and screw it in?

4 minutes ago, daveo said:

So just apply it to the entire bolt's thread and screw it in?

Yeah, just a stripe of it down one side of the threads seems fine.

I think the screws get loaded in unusual ways by the plate while riding.  Even if the screws went in just fine, I stripped some while un-mounting the plate.  I had never experienced such a thing - screw in, good, unscrew, strip!  😡  I had to have several inserts repaired with a tap.  After becoming diligent about lube, it hasn't happened again.

1 minute ago, Jack M said:

Yeah, just a stripe of it down one side of the threads seems fine.

I think the screws get loaded in unusual ways by the plate while riding.  Even if the screws went in just fine, I stripped some while un-mounting the plate.  I had never experienced such a thing - screw in, good, unscrew, strip!  😡  I had to have several inserts repaired with a tap.  After becoming diligent about lube, it hasn't happened again.

Okay good to know, thanks! Will keep this in mind if it becomes Allflex time. It's so weird though haha. Never happened with my vistflex, diff design though.

5 hours ago, Jack M said:

I had never experienced such a thing - screw in, good, unscrew, strip!

SS screws in SS T-nuts - a huge risk of galling. Were you using power tools by chance? Speed greatly amplifies any issues. I've converted a few SS screws to smooth rods in my time. Always when short on time with an irreplaceable screw. LOL! 

I cringe every time I see someone using a drill/driver on snowboard 4x4 screws. 

1 hour ago, Corey said:

I cringe every time I see someone using a drill/driver on snowboard 4x4 screws. 

I use this little fella and do the final tighten by hand. =D

41o0WemOdWL._AC_SY580_.jpg

If not using SS bolts to fix a plate on a board, then what should be used? 

2 hours ago, daveo said:

If not using SS bolts to fix a plate on a board, then what should be used? 

Low speed, plus lube and you'll be fine.  

* There's a joke here about off-hill activities that I'm going to step over. 

• Haha 2