Note to New Members ×

Social distancing for a new season

lowrider

Thoughts on how to plan for next season. Is it possible for ski resorts to open and practice social distancing . I usually put my boots on and head to the runs from the trunk of my car. I avoid going into the chalet on my 300 foot bump because they have carpet on the floor and the air quality  is terrible. There is an unofficial  ski in ski out  urinal off one run but my bladder has not failed me yet and I have not needed to use it. Just wondering if it's possible to act responsible and still enjoy this great sport ? 

• LOL 1

Prognostication:  Like there are are in stores now, there will be daily limits on the number of people allowed on the mountain.  The incident in this article Crystal Closes Doors to Walk up Lift Tickets  last year may offer a model on how resorts will respond.

Based on the current Covid condition the resort will place a cap on attendance. They will release spaces to be reserved/purchased online in advance.  Pass holders might get automatic entry, or have to sign up also.  Lodges will be closed with food served outside only.  Restrooms will be single occupancy only.  Lift lines will have 6' spacing, but this aided by the limited number of riders.  No more singles line. Teaching will be difficult but will maintain distance (separate chairs for student/instructor). 

Our (very) local mountain (Mt. Baldy) was already severely limiting numbers and serving food through a service window right before their closure.  They have tossed around opening again with these restrictions.

How to fairly limit high demand days (Xmas/NYear, MLK, President's, etc) will be interesting.   Sadly, this will not likely be a "let's skip work it's a powder day!" sport anymore.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, big mario said:

Discaimer:

Tongue firmly planted in cheek here.

How will we let each other know how awesome we are if we cannot boast over burritos at breakfast before,  or beers in the bahr after?I

Mario

I'm guessing well have to scream it to each other from distant chairs  on the lift. Riders were every other 30 chairs @ MCC as it was further distancing would mean we would have to be at Schwitzer and Whitefish '

• LOL 3

4 hours ago, lowrider said:

There is an unofficial  ski in ski out  urinal off one run but my bladder has not failed me yet and I have not needed to use it.

I suggest a minimum entry length of 185 would maintain correct spacing. (Ski or board. Skwal could be more tricky)

Edited by Lurch
I sense a recurring theme .....
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

11 hours ago, BlueB said:

Enough already of stupid social distancing! The life will eventually have to go back to normal. Hopefully the 70% of the population will alread be in contact with the virus by the next year. 

I dunno,

This thing will damage your lungs, heart, and kidneys even if it doesn't kill you. You're assuming that having a large percent of the population infected is a given. That's not true.

I would actually like people to distance since it does actually save lives. All you're being asked to do is stay at home. You can make the effort. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What are you a teenager? I've actually been to war and have not heard so much whining! Do you realize that people are DYING because of this? As of today it has killed more than 35,000 people. In one month! That's as many deaths as the ENTIRE 2018-2019 flu season. 

It's not forever. We'll stay distant for a couple of months and then less so until there's a vaccine. In the meantime Belgian up and ride it out! 

I apologize, I know I'm venting here. If you have to be out in order to make a living, have an essential job, or simply because you need groceries then do it. Social distancing (a stupid name - it should be physical distancing) is an absolute necessity. It does actually save lives. It could save your own! Do your part.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Mt Baldy, our very local hill is reopening (4/22/20)

Here is their Operations Plan utilizing 10% of their capacity, staggered entry with spaced parking.  Interesting:

"COVID-19 SOCIAL DISTANCING
OPERATIONS PLAN

We are taking the COVID-19 crisis very seriously. Mt Baldy Resort is a unique all season mountain resort and is well designed to accommodate social distancing guidelines. In addition, we are implementing several policy changes that will help to ensure the safety and health of our guests and staff. Similar to how a golf course operates Mt Baldy will check-in a maximum of 4 individuals at 10 minute intervals. 1 Day Alpine Ticketed guests will have access to Lift #2 and #3 from that time until closing. In stark contrast to a golf course (150 acres), Mt Baldy Resort (800 acres) has more than 4x the area and will be operating at less than 10% of occupancy under this plan.

Mask or face covering consistent with Order of the Health Officer of the County of San Bernardino County for the Control of COVID-19 must be worn at all times.

TICKETING & GUEST SERVICES

Only guests with reservations for 1 Day Alpine Lift Ticket and Mt Baldy Season Pass Holders will be granted access within the resort boundaries. Guest Services is NOT available at the resort. Do not come to the resort with promotional tickets, vouchers, expired purchases, applications, partner resort passes or any other inquiries. All these matters must be addressed online or by telephone. Please be patient with our very limited guest services team while we facilitate your requests.

UPON ARRIVAL

All visitors to Mt Baldy Resort will be at greeted at their vehicle upon arrival to parking lot. 1 Day Alpine Lift Ticket reservations will be checked in no earlier than their reservation time. Early visitors please queue up in your vehicles and sit tight until your reservation time. With proper identification Season Pass Holders, Scheduled Staff or Certified Government Agency Personnel will be permitted on to the property. All others will be turned away.

PARKING

To eliminate congregating all vehicles must be parked at a minimum of 3 vehicle width apart. Any vehicle not parked at least 20′ away from any other vehicle is subject to tow. Mt Baldy Resort staff will be on hand to identify vehicles not in compliance to direct tow trucks accordingly.

RESTROOMS

To avoid unnecessary contact we ask that you take care of your restroom breaks before you get to the mountain. Restrooms will be available for use at the base of Chair #1 and in the Top of the Notch Restaurant. Bathrooms are maintained and sanitized according to a vigorous schedule.

RIDING THE LIFT

All lifts at Mt Baldy Resort are fixed grip double seat carriers. We suggest that you ride by yourself unless you decide to ride with someone you are in quarantine with. Mt Baldy Resort is not the ‘Quarantine Police’ and does not intend to be. We ask that you treat this matter with the respect that it deserves and only ride with individuals you are quarantined with. Individuals will be loaded with skis or snowboard and one small carry along bag only.

FOOD & BEVERAGE

Pack a lunch. The Counterweight Cafe & Top of the Notch Restaurant will be closed until further notice. Sporadically refreshments may be available at the bottom of Lift #3 (Thunder Mountain) as we continue to improve operations under these scrutinous circumstances. 

SKIING & RIDING

Experienced advanced and above skiers and snowboarders only. Rentals will not be available. Guests must bring their own gear. Ski & ride with caution and do not take unnecessary risks. Injuring yourself puts you and everyone involved in helping you at risk. At all times and especially when standing in line maintain a healthy distance of at least 10 feet.

Our ability to operate under these circumstances rely heavily on cooperation from everyone. If you are not feeling 100% or have any intention of not treating this situation with the respect that it deserves, stay home. Mt Baldy Resort would not be going through the difficult process of opening during these difficult times if we did not love operating this special mountain and YOU our stakeholders. Unfortunately with the limited amount of access our modified operating plan permits, we have limitations to what we can accommodate: Partner resort passes, promotional tickets sold at pre-season snow shows or any other pre-purchased online tickets will be addressed on a case by case basis prior to arrival.

Thanks for the support,
The Crew @ Mt Baldy"

If you've done your history on what happened when they opened up too early for the 1918 Flu (when they thought the curve flattened) we're all pretty screwed.  Granted the Flu mutated, and that's still an unknown.

Montana is opening up.  Governor is leaving it up to Schools to determine whether or not to open on May 4th, which puts the onus on local school officials.

Restaurants and Bars can open with some protocols (like 50% occupancy) so try explaining that to a drunk.

Remember, it started with  ONE PERSON.

https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-second-wave-resurgence

• Like 1

Austria has lifted the strict quarantine on three ski resorts in Tyrol which were coronavirus hotspots.

The three include Ischgl, known as the "Ibiza of the Alps", where hundreds of tourists from across Europe are believed to have become infected.

The resorts of St Anton am Arlberg, Sölden and the Paznaun valley - which surrounds Ischgl - have been sealed off since the middle of March.

They will now be subject to the same lockdown rules as the rest of Austria.

Earlier this month, Austria's public health agency said that Ischgl was the source of the country's biggest cluster of coronavirus cases, infecting more than 800 Austrians and up to twice as many people abroad, particularly in Germany and Scandinavian countries.

Foreign skiers took the coronavirus home with them.

Seems there ARE two types of people, those that are concerned about the wellbeing of others and those that aren't.

• Like 2

I was thinking about going up with a friend of mine - separate cars etc.

I went for an antibody test  yesterday and found I have antibodies but not enough for full immunity yet. But not COVID -19 contagious So I probably got through THE INFECTION while in quarantine in my car in March. But that would have had to be the case I was infected just before leaving aspen. What is more likely is the Aussie girl brought it with her infected Aspen and I got it in Early February. I have some flu now, and the sore throats is much worse and linger lasting than what might have been covid-19.

22 hours ago, John Gilmour said:

I was thinking about going up with a friend of mine - separate cars etc.

I went for an antibody test  yesterday and found I have antibodies but not enough for full immunity yet. But not COVID -19 contagious So I probably got through THE INFECTION while in quarantine in my car in March. But that would have had to be the case I was infected just before leaving aspen. What is more likely is the Aussie girl brought it with her infected Aspen and I got it in Early February. I have some flu now, and the sore throats is much worse and linger lasting than what might have been covid-19.

Hope you didn't pay much for your "antibody" test. Quality control of the multiple products out there is still too poor to be relied upon, according to the virologists advising our government in NZ.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/science/20-04-2020/siouxsie-wiles-putting-the-covid-19-tests-to-the-test/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/30/randomised-coronavirus-test-of-100000-will-determine-end-date-of-uk-lockdown

PS: Which INFECTION that you caught from the "Aussie girl" are you talking about John?😉🤣🤣

Edited by SunSurfer
add reference links

On 4/30/2020 at 12:35 PM, SunSurfer said:

Hope you didn't pay much for your "antibody" test. Quality control of the multiple products out there is still too poor to be relied upon, according to the virologists advising our government in NZ.

-- Deleted --

Edited by Lurch
* Intraveneous disinfectant not recommended
  • LOL 2

13 hours ago, lowrider said:

Political Content ! Political  Content ! I'm the new Thought Police.

Look, we know that you feel the need to share your political views with everyone. That's fine, but not here. It's the rules. 

Someone on Reddit.com would probably love to hear and/or debate your ideas. Politics tend to cause heated debates that divide communities, which is the last thing our tiny niche sport needs.

If you don't like these rules, start your own forum with rules you like. 

• Like 2

I just  found out my jokes aren't appreciated and now the Governor of Montana doesn't want any visitors in Montana a social distance of thousands of miles might do the trick to supress Covid 19. Hope it works. A lot of good riding to be had in Montana these truly are unprecedented times.