Note to New Members ×

Allflex and IRON-ROCK, mysteries and things

pauleleven

Hey, a hangl is just a sliding axle type system for each individual foot. 

But yeah, correct. 

As far as iron rock goes, I’m guessing both parties feel entitled to the design, a case where an athlete decided to bring what he felt was his tech with him. I think that system might be a dead end anyway, too much metal flexing even the one with the springs sound problematic. 

9 hours ago, pauleleven said:

People's understanding of plates in general stays at: pro athletes use them, they must be good, I must have one.

"pro athletes use them, they must be good, let's copy it without understanding it and omit key details"

Fixed it for you pualeo, you're welcome. :eplus2:

21 hours ago, Lurch said:

Outside the top 10, I'm guessing each competitor might buy one or two plates a season, which no doubt get recycled down through the field in following seasons. I would be surprised if Allflex sold more than 1000 units in a season (@skategoat be great if could add some market info here). An aggressive new market competitor pedaling the same technology might dream of getting 50% of that market, so you would be tooling up to sell <500 units, of which you need several variations. 

Since I don't own Apex Sport anymore, I don't feel I can divulge their sales numbers but your guess is not far off. I can tell you this -nobody is getting rich off hard booters. Not Kessler, not Sigi, not Rok or Aco.

Developing a new plate is fraught with risk. The investments are big and your chances of success are minimal. It can be the best plate in the world but unless someone at the World Cup level succeeds on your ride, you will struggle. 

Only a fool would get into the hard booting business. I'm only half joking. 

Edited by skategoat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jack M said:

@BlueB I mostly agree with your understanding of things, but I would not put Hangl in the same group as Apex Canada, etc. A two piece system cannot function anything like a one piece. I would guess that the Hangls accomplished something similar to Geckos and @jp1‘s Gizmos. 

I agree that 2 piece doesn't quite worka as a "bridged" system. However, I've thrown the Hangl in there as they were the pioneers of the floating axle system and it still allowed free board flex under the bindings... Also on skis, where it came from, it's a much longer platform, pretty much functioning like a one pice plate on snowboard. 

• 3 weeks later...

Seems court decided:

Rok Marguč on Facebook:

In the end, the truth always wins. Allflex was lying about me in public. They should remove everything about me in 15 days. They also lied about the patent. The Slovenian court said they did not have a patent for snowboard plates. It was hardely patented plates in 2007, which we developed together in 2010. They will pay a lot because they were lying. We won today. The truth always wins. IronRock #rockyourboard

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1