Note to New Members ×

Pinched Tendon Causing Plantar Fasciitis?

barryj

As ludicrous  as it sounds........I tried  marginally thicker socks in my 4 year old Track 700's to take up some of the packed out heel volume in the liner....which are already a size and 1/2 downsized from my street shoe size....so there comfortably snug but not painful...and I got a pressure point from a half day of riding below and on the outside of my right ankle on the tendon which has caused a ridiculous amount of foot pain even walking...not to mention trying to carve.

I saw my chiropractor and that helped get me back walking somewhat better.....but carving just ain't happening as I can't pressure the board  😥   My ankle/foot feels weak like a sprain but with that constant "sprain" feeling in every step I take!

Anybody else been through this?     I'm doing band stretches and heat on the ankle and have a roller and a ball I use to work on the bottom of my foot........... not sure what else to do but to not do anything to stress it for a few days...which works out as I avoid the Mtn. during xmas Holiday week anyway.   

Edited by barryj

I'm battling through lifting induced knee pain right now, and had the start of plantar fasciitis. I've put a set of plantar specific insoles in my lifting shoes - I got them from the pharmacy, they seem to help, although they feel really weird - like they're canting my foot outwards.

The stretching routine I got for it was :

• kneeling foot stretch (sit on your knees with your toes tucked up underneath).
    hamstring stretch (any sort will do). This actually made the biggest difference for me, of all the stretches.
  • achilles stretch on the stairs.
  • rolling the bottom of my feet on a lacrosse ball, although I prefer doing it on a thick piece of dowel or a broomstick. Make sure you roll the edges of your foot as well as the middle.

Working this two or three times a day made a big difference in a couple of weeks for me. Staying off it for a few days and letting that tendon settle down will probably help a lot too.

Good luck. Plantar sucks.

Had pf when I did athletics. I did this to fix it, minimum 3 times per day:

1. Face wall, toe up on wall, ball of foot and heel on ground so it is bending your toes upward. Then push knee toward wall.
  2. Roll golf ball on bottom of foot.
  3. Use (green) theraband or some sort of light resistance band. Put around big toe and hold in hand to give resistance and then do toe curls.
  4. Standard hamstring, calf and achilles stretches.

Erm, one thing, are you sure it's pf? I don't recall my pf feeling like a sprain, started more like a dull pain under my heel, almost like something in my shoe. It progressed into a shooting pain whenever I'd bend slightly forward, walk downhill or outstretch that leg. Shooting like I'd stepped on a LEGO (the worst). It was absolute death.

Edited by daveo

Thanks for all the info guys. 

Yep Daveo ...doing all your stretching routines 3-5x daily.

Yes....it is  tendon inflammation that  the Chiro doesn't want to progress into PF

The pain is not in my heel....it does feel like shooting pain in soul of foot ..like I stepped on a Box of Legos!!    

How long did you guys lay off your sport or activity??

6 hours ago, daveo said:

I did this to fix it, minimum 3 times per day:

1. Face wall, toe up on wall, ball of foot and heel on ground so it is bending your toes upward. Then push knee toward wall.
  2. Roll golf ball on bottom of foot.
  3. Use (green) theraband or some sort of light resistance band. Put around big toe and hold in hand to give resistance and then do toe curls.
  4. Standard hamstring, calf and achilles stretches.

Erm, one thing, are you sure it's pf? I don't recall my pf feeling like a sprain, started more like a dull pain under my heel, almost like something in my shoe. It progressed into a shooting pain whenever I'd bend slightly forward, walk downhill or outstretch that leg. Shooting like I'd stepped on a LEGO (the worst). It was absolute death.

Peroneus longus? 

...Ahh, just saw your last post, pain bottom of foot, not a tendon in ankle/heel.  

The foot wheel works pretty nice on those tender spots, even better than a golf ball http://a.co/d/f9qarPN   

Heat/foot-wheel/ice

Ask your Chiro do some ultrasound on the bottom of your foot to speed recovery along. And he should still check those calf muscles esp the above mentioned Peroneus Longus...and of course adjust the foot/ankle/knee.

You have custom footbeds/orthotics?

Right.

So now you've got 99 problems, and the pinch ain't one.

The recovery rate of tendon inflammation is several orders of magnitude longer than the time it took for the inflammation to set in.

And that's if you can avoid further irritation to the affected area. 

Given that it's in your foot, and that whenever you stand up, your systems of equilibrium will potentially 'work' the foot, you'll want to be especially careful how you proceed from here.

11. Periodic ice/immersion in chilled whirlpool bath

10. 'Proper' hydration

9. Anti-inflammatories as deemed appropriate

8. Supportive, close fitting footwear with hard(er) soles, and carefully evaluated heel height.

->Loose shoes, like loose ski boots, encourage 'toe grabbing' for security.

->Squishy soles encourage rapid stabilizing movements, and those will retard the healing process.

7. If you've recently changed foot support, you might want to forego that for a bit.

->I've seen plantar fasciitis worsen on account of custom orthoses intended to heal it. (Go figure)

6. Avoid tasks that involve reaching horizontally.

5. Avoid tasks that involve repeated direction changes. (I.e., cancel your 'Lord of the Dance' audition)

4. Avoid walking on uneven, unstable surfaces.

3. Avoid direct/sustained pressure on the affected area.

2. If a particular movement or activity hurts, maybe don't do it. 'No pain no gain' does not apply to tendon repair.

1. Etc.

Good luck, be patient, and be smart about it.

2 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Do you use Intec heels? If so, is the painful area where the Intec cable in that boot runs past your heel?

Yea...Fintecs....but no pain where cable runs past heel

43 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

You have custom footbeds/orthotics?

Yep - using  Superfeet  Green in those boots

Like the looks of that wheel works roller.....but the wife had this Rad Roller, seems to work ok:

https://www.roguefitness.com/rad-roller?gclid=CjwKCAiAmO3gBRBBEiwA8d0Q4lOeuCpDHDDxmql4Or41bKWn7RlKDdlEgQCuZ69IGnzQH7_J_F4IThoCWz8QAvD_BwE

Hey @barryj, forgot to mention that mine was solely caused from changing my everyday work shoes to a different pair. Well, predisposed to this since my feet were already being incredibly bashed and sensitive from training 9 times a week and wearing track spikes for 3 of those sessions. But everything was in equilibrium until I changed those shoes.

Didn't know until it was too late.

Took me a month of a strict rehab routine to get rid of it 99%. I kept training on it regardless. Once it warmed up, it was fine, it was when it was not warmed up or just doing normal tasks, where it caused me immense pain. Like... LEGO pain.

I imagine a vasodilator applied to the bottom of your foot could relieve the pain while snowboarding. Something like Finalgon, perhaps. 

Edited by daveo

Beckmann AG provided a clue to the root cause of your issue in response to your post “Boot Liner With Best Heel Lock?” when he stated:

5. Examine your preferred technique, and figure out how to get it done without using your shin as a lever, or your boot tongue as a fulcrum. 

"This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day: 

If no fulcrum, and no lever; then no heel lift."

From your statements it appears that you have not adjusted your technique but instead locked your heel down. Your tendon was simply the weakest link in your leg.

You may want to consider increasing your heel lift so that when you are fully extended in your technique the heel is at the position it wants to be rather than locking it down at a static position and then stretching “something” to allow you to fully extend because you do not want to provide compliance by means of heel lift.  Maybe you need a spring restrained telemark binding for your rear boot that would keep your heel locked but allow you to fully extend.  There’s a Pure Boarding guy who I guarantee has extreme heel lift when he lays out his carves.  When I asked him about it on a lift a couple of years ago, he only responded by smiling and laughing.

Be careful of chiros BTW, lot of snake oil with those folks mileage varies more than it does with doctors. It’s not really a science based thing. A lot of them are anti vaccine for example, also some push homeopathy.  

Not a doctor but sounds like something in your setup has to be way the hell off. My hardboots are quite literally the least painful footwear for anything I do I’ve ever had. Superfeet may not be the problem but I’d bet they aren’t helping. But if they actually work, run with it. 

You have thermo liners? They can be molded again, or replaced if they’re done.

a sloppy boot can do a number on feet/ankles. 

thick socks, they eff me up, only thing I can wear are liner socks. This isn’t applicable to everyone but for me they either bunch up or take up too much room in the toes, end up cramped and cold. 

Not sure how much of that is helpful but had a lot of issues over the years. Just got softboots worked out with $350 liners..... wish there was another option there! 

46 minutes ago, bobdea said:

Be careful of chiros BTW

On that note... My partner works as a consultant predominantly in rehab in a hospital here and one of her patients was a quadriplegic, who was put in that position from getting his neck cracked from a chiro. I guess he's dead by now, though.

On 12/21/2018 at 12:30 PM, barryj said:

Yep - using  Superfeet  Green in those boots

Big bad baz, have you considered getting some custom footbeds made? I would say those are my best snowboard purchase, next would be my Palau liners and of course none of that is possible without my properly fitting UPZ boots.

Might be worth getting a set made and get a remold of your liners done, perhaps?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

Have you tried non-traditional healing methods

Yeah....My Amazon order of leeches is scheduled to arrive today......... :biggthump

Working on the ritual sacrifice...... my wife thinks we should use this.......Because It's Not Coming In The House!!

• Like 1

When was your last x-ray by a podiatrist? Mine turned out to be a bone spur, they're quite popular these days, that had multiple calcified prongs. Had it removed this past January and it took a full 4 months recovery. Turns out, it was most likely from being the foot I used to push off when I skateboarded. Almost 40 years of foot-pushing. 

Mark