Note to New Members ×

Powder Board Recommendation 18/19

Bling

Since everybody's chiming in....

I honestly wouldn't spend too much money. Not for a week, no promise you will actually see powder. For real pow the board choices seem to matter less. Get something quick turning for trees you'll be much happier. I still ride my 2012 NS Cobra and it does just fine.

If I was in the market for a new tree board I would probably go for a Burton Skeleton Key. They've dropped in prices significantly (~$500 now). When I demoed one in WP last year it was really fun and quick in the trees.

That being said, again, for pow it doesn't seem to matter too much. Some are better but most will do just fine. 

11 minutes ago, JVRazz said:

I honestly wouldn't spend too much money. Not for a week, no promise you will actually see powder.

I'm with him, even though I suggested high-$ board options earlier.   I don't get to ride powder often, and had some of the best days of my riding life on a sub-$100 board in the trees and glades of Aspen.  I picked up enough rock damage that I would have cried if I were on one of my alpine boards, but really didn't care.  I took off the burrs that would cut my hands/gloves and was ready for the next day!  

I'm sure if I rode as much powder as groom, I'd have a more-refined palate.   Hot dogs are quite delicious if you don't get to eat very often!  

• Like 1

Nahhh don't listen to these guys, spend the $1k, treat yourself, you deserve it! That 1 day of epic powder is worth it.

Actually, the only time I ever wanted a powder specific board, was when I didn't have one. But I ride hardboots only... And now I have one. Couldn't be happier.

I'm riding this at Big Sky.  Works well in everything including waist deep, and great in untracked tree runs.  My personal board is the 153 Nitro Squash shown here with hardboots, but it is a soft boot board.  Is $519, and you can usually get a discount if you ask at EVO.  I also purchased a couple off of ebay (came from Canada for $400).  Dynamite board on everything except icy slopes.

image.png.ff2aec4016858679e416554f85270a12.png

1.01.jpg

Edited by bumpyride

On 11/24/2018 at 9:11 AM, Buell said:

Resort powder, with rare exceptions, is only good for a run or two. You are going to want a board that is good at tracked powder if you want to ride for very long.

...and what board is that? I don't get much powder time either (I found a used Fish that's great for the deep stuff), but out of my quiver,  hardboots on a Donek Incline has worked best for tracked out powder, but it's still tiring. I'm wondering if a split tail like a Prior Powstick would be better? What do folks find is best after it's tracked out?

22 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

...and what board is that? I don't get much powder time either (I found a used Fish that's great for the deep stuff), but out of my quiver,  hardboots on a Donek Incline has worked best for tracked out powder, but it's still tiring. I'm wondering if a split tail like a Prior Powstick would be better? What do folks find is best after it's tracked out?

I really don't know at the moment, I don't ride much chopped snow. The best board I have ridden in chopped snow was a Furberg.

I have found it is important to have a stiffer, narrower nose than most powder boards so it does not get deflected too much in the chop. The nose on many powder boards it just too big and soft and they tend to hook.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I don't think you really need/ want a powder board in tacked out. I was in Revelstoke last season and I switched from my Dump Truck back to my Kessler SL once it was cut up, because you're really riding on the base not floating (unless it's more than the 20cm we had there, perhaps). 

You can get "powder friendly" boards which aren't actually dedicated powder boards - the Dump Truck is one, for example, which isn't Burton's most extreme powder board by any means, and yet it's very popular with heli people.

Nils who posts here sometimes can talk about STs. I'm not a believer, but riding one back-to-back with a more modern design would work that out. A lot of wacky looking shapes (eg the Spring Break Capita boards) work surprisingly well - I think "funky" shapes are more a fashion thing that anything else. Nothing wrong with that, when they work. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/29/2018 at 1:28 PM, bigwavedave said:

For me after it's tracked out .... softboots!