Note to New Members ×

UPZ RC10 vs RC11 vs RC12

Jeffrey Day

So, I'm thinking about jumping on the UPZ bandwagon, if I can find my size/the right size. I am currently  riding with the black and white Deeluxe Track700 of a few years ago in a size 24.0mp with Dalbello Gold ID liners and BTS w/ yellow springs. I find that the heel hold is good, but the toe box area is huge! My feet are swimming in them to the point that I have to physically pull my foot back into the heel pocket just before I transition to the next turn! It's the weirdest thing. I've been riding the AF600TST and the Suzukas for a long, long time and don't recall this sensation! Did Deeluxe widen the toe box of the Track700? I have had my Dalbello liners probably close to 10 years now, and have molded them a number of times. For one, I'm thinking my liners need replacing as it seems they cannot hold a mold any longer...thoughts?

Anyways, for those that have done this switch from AF600TS/Suzuka/Indy/Track700 to UPZ RC10/11/12, did you stay the same mondo point size or did you go down a size? If I recall, my feet measure 24.4 on my left foot and 24.1 on my right foot.

And what are the main differences between the RC10, RC11 and RC12? And what are the difficulties of running 23mp or 24mp UPZ boots in TD2/TD3 step ins?

Thanks all! Bring on winter!

I can't speak to the differences between the Track700 and UPZ sizing, and I've only ever owned (and am still riding in) a pair of 2017 RC10s.  But what I can help you with is that even with a size mp26 RC10, I could not get centered between the edges with a TD3 stepin.  The UPZ boot sole length is significantly shorter than the same size boot from other manufacturers due to the way that UPZ tucks the heel in underneath the foot.

With an mp26 RC10 and TD3 stepins, I was only able to get within about 1cm away from being centered (no heel or toe bias), just ran out of travel in the toe or heel block adjustments.  I'd imagine the situation would be even less optimal with the sizes smaller than 26.  I think the situation is a bit better with the TD3 standards, I understand that you can flip the toe block and reverse the bail, but I've never tried that trick myself.

I went from SB 224's to Track 700 (and AF 600) then to RC10.  I found the SB's the narrowest in the forefoot, the RC10's widest with the T700's in between. The RC10's fit my wider forefoot and narrower heel best.  The T700 and SB's heels were wider than RC10's.   

If you have to pull your foot back into the pocket I would suspect your boot length is too long.

I feel I am able to just barely center my MP26 RC10's on TD3 SI's, but not F2's.  RC10's in mp24's would not be a good fit for TD's and F2's in my opinion for that reason.  I can readily center MP26 RC10's in Cateks and suspect MP 24's would also work.  Bindings that can center properly for sub mp26 RC10's are an issue - not so much for Deeluxe.

Edited by rjnakata

13 hours ago, Jeffrey Day said:

And what are the main differences between the RC10, RC11 and RC12?

There are more than this, but I guess these are the ones that affect riding:

Old RC10 (2015 and older)- Tongue you have to crank a little to get your foot in/liner out. Buckles that are a bit wider that can rub together if you like to have your forward lean to max on your rear (or any) foot.

New RC10 (2016 and newer)- Tongue that has a hinge so you can swing it open. The new tongue can swim a little and move away from centre. Buckles are thinner and won't rub.

RC11- Modified cuff to prevent the tongue from moving.

RC12- Same as RC11.

I think the best UPZ boot is the old RC10 with the updated buckles or the RC11/12. If you are big/heavy/like stiff boots maybe look into the R version- RC12R.

Edited by daveo
  • Like 1

While I love my RC10 boots, there's no way I'd use M24 UPZ on a TD Sidewinder Step In. Maybe on a non-Sidewinder, but it'll likely make removing binding more complicated. 

I HATE that stupid forward-set heel on UPZ. Biggest drawback of an otherwise great boot design. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Corey said:

While I love my RC10 boots, there's no way I'd use M24 UPZ on a TD Sidewinder Step In. Maybe on a non-Sidewinder, but it'll likely make removing binding more complicated. 

I HATE that stupid forward-set heel on UPZ. Biggest drawback of an otherwise great boot design. 

extra buckles, the finicky heel ledge and big ramp angle it causes are mostly why I stay in SBs, even though the upz shape is closer to my foot.

ease of on/off and liner removal ; it's a breeze to swap liners and/or tongues and totally change the boot flex with deluxe

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As far as the bindings go, I am in m25 RC10s on TD3SW standard bindings. Depending on the exact year model, I can either just barely use the binding without flipping the bails, or I must flip them in order to use the TD3s. As far as stepins, I have tried to convert to them but I have to switch the bail, which makes it just as time consuming as using regular bindings.

Difficulties of running UPZ shells in Trench digger stepins.

Toe bail curves: My RC10s (mondo 29) fit the toe nail of my F2 Intex bindings perfectly with a good spread of contact across the whole of the toe block.

On my TD3 step ins the toe bail touches the sides of the shell before any other significant is made. Moving the toe bail in a little gets 2 points of toeblock/ top of toe shell contact but lifts the sole slightly off the metal binding toe block beneath. Last couple of years I've used some vinyl tube and tape to alter the effective toe bail curve and spread the load points a bit. In use the tape wears away pretty quickly. 

Have just created moulded toe bail covers by smoothing a layer of kitchen cooking foil over the boot toe. Then placed boot in binding. Then used a hot glue gun to fill the space between boot toe and toe bail and completely encircle the top curve of the toe bail to hold the moulding in place. Once set remove excess foil from the moulding and smooth of the outside with a soldering iron. The fit is great.

I just used the glue sticks I had in the garage as a proof of concept. Looking at the physical properties of glue sticks I may need to find acrylic glue sticks as these are supposedly better at remaining flexible at low temperatures.

If you're after photos PM me. I've run out of attachment allowance.

Providing toe bails that match the UPZ shell shape could be a good product for our new Bomber owner.

• Like 1

RC11 with RC11 RCR cuff vs RC12 with RC12 RCR cuff (RC12 RCR cuff (white inlay) more hard than RC11 (black inlay) )

outer tongue is dark grey in both side (stiffest)
orange rear spring

RC12 a some stiffer. and more dull
I can not said about needless stiffness. It's good.
Possible I will try mix up RC12 lower part with RCR 11 cuff. Possible not. But on the whole stiffness RC12 more good than RC11

I rode Deeluxe Suzukas for 10 years until the buckles started to go and made the switch to UPZ last year.  They were out of RC10s so I went with the RC11s and so far I really like them.  I went with the same mondo size (28).  The big plus is that they fit my wider feet right out of the box.  I spent a couple of seasons of pain getting the Suzukas dialed in after I first got them.  That won't be the case with UPZs.  

They're a bit less cumbersome than the Deeluxes, and a little more flexible in all directions, so I'm under the impression that I'm free riding better.  I didn't race last year so I can't compare performance on a race course.  One drawback, though, is that the UPZs have introduced me to the concept of "shin-bang", which was unknown to me when riding Deeluxes.   I was able to adjust the boot to alleviate it, however.

I thought I'd hate the stock UPZ liners because I read a lot of complaints about them, but, to be honest, they're very good - high quality, comfortable, and plenty warm (so far).

The drawback with the UPZs was that they didn't come with Fintec heel option like the Deeluxes did, which meant that they wouldn't fit my step-in bindings.  In order to ride them I had to dig out a pair of F2 race bindings that I had laying around, mount them on my race board, and get used to snapping bails again.  Luckily, rediscovering the virtues of those F2s turned out to be a blessing, so I'm reluctant to go back to step-ins. 

• 2 weeks later...