Note to New Members ×

UPM or 4x4 Mount - Plate Preference?

barryj

The wunderbar will help mount the plate, but it’s not necessary. If you’re only going to mount the plate to one board and leave it mounted, you can skip the wunderbar, but expect to take a few passes at getting the lower hardware properly aligned. 

Thanks for all the input guys!   I'll post when I get a chance to try the BP 4mm Lite on the Kessler ...... the season is far from over out here!

Forecast says we got a ft. of POW coming  Weds. night so it's a Moss Squadron Alert at the moment! :D

Edited by barryj

3 hours ago, Corey said:

What's a V2?  I only know 5mm, 4mm, 4mm Lite.  The 4 and 5's look similar, but different thickness.  The 4mm Lite had a narrower core and the wasp-waist cut into the top profile.  

The V1 is the first 5 mm version. The V2 is the second 5 mm version. The V2 is softer and lighter with a different core and overall shape. The hardware is also modified and lighter, at least for the 4x4.

Edited by Calle

1 hour ago, barryj said:

Hmm....... sounds possible that a BP 4mm Lite is a V2 variant.      Any way of identifying V1 from V2 ?? 

It's really not that important. The Bomber plates have PLENTY of extra material. You can make them as soft as you want. Slot down the center is step one and most folk stop there... It really is that simple.

• Like 1

I think the quickest visual indicator of V1 vs V2 is the number of holes for mounting the side bosses; the V1 had 3, and the V2 had 4, noticed this when I bought a V2 at the end of the 16/17 season, and the plate differed from the manual in a few areas, no big deal, just different...

V1: 

image.png.fdb30abff98bf14e51d45f8612ae8fd3.png

V2:

image.png.7fc2d1d7e32cb0d10ddfcf3500c257b1.png

13 hours ago, jburk said:

The wunderbar will help mount the plate, but it’s not necessary. If you’re only going to mount the plate to one board and leave it mounted, you can skip the wunderbar, but expect to take a few passes at getting the lower hardware properly aligned. 

To mount the 4x4 with its' slots to vary the hardware position, insert the mounting screws for the red hardware units only enough to make sure they remain aligned but can slide freely. Now mount the plate on top sliding the hardware to align the screw holes, again only loosely. Now move the plate to where you want it to be, remove the plate without moving the red hardware, and now tighten up the hardware mounting screws. 

Interaxle distance, and axle relationship to binding position is a topic with no definite view or correct answer. 

My personal plate setup has the axles well outside the binding centres, approx 7cm front and rear.

I also ride with the rear axle sliding and the front axle fixed. The opposite setup is much more common.

5 mm V1 Version:

d115k826a629-img899x1200-1515809683agbkyd115k826a629-img1200x899-1515809683irjbn

5mm V2 Version:

dropout_0222-img1200x900-1519388474lauk7dropout_0222-img1200x900-1519388473n3ewp

I have both the V1 version and the V2 version 5mm. There's no big difference but given the choice i would choose the V2. My apex plate i softer than both of the bomber plates. At 90 kg i prefer that one over the bomber plates. I would guess that all the 4 mm and light versions is based on the V2.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lurch said:

@Calle what is the max stance width on those please?

I can check later maybe someone else knows. The Apex V1 has the least stance width atleast and i would believe the Bomber V1 is second and V2 has the most stance width. The apex is the only one limiting my stance at 51,5 cm. But more in the sense of the inserts beeing shifted to much to the front.

Edited by Calle
  • Thanks 1

I recall that in BP i could get my stance to 54cm i use but then it was at ends so no adjustments avaiable.

On Apex i had little bit more to play, so it was better with my stance. But both are sold away already.

EDIT: V2 seem to have also 2*4 inserts addition to additional fixings so clearly better option.

Edited by pokkis
  • Thanks 1

More good info guys!          My stance is typically around  51.5cm so that shouldn't be a factor.

I acquired a UPM 2nd board kit , so I'm going to swap out the lower assemblies from 4x4 to UPM.

Hopefully that transfer and then setting up the BP 4mm Lite UPM will go easily.