Note to New Members ×

UPM or 4x4 Mount - Plate Preference?

barryj

Looking for a plate for the new Kessler which has 4x4 and UPM mounts - 

4x4 or UPM lower assemblies - does it make a difference??

Should I go with finding a UPM plate or just go with the more readily available plate with 4x4 mounting system ??   

I own a set of both. Both work well. 

My personal opinion is that the UPM is the better engineering in terms of transferring the forces to the board given the inserts are closer to the edges.

If I had to buy one and only one I would buy the type that fit the insert pattern of the most boards I owned that I might choose to ride it with. 

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 2

I own both 4x4 and UPM for boiler plate. Personally, I prefer UPM inserts for boiler plate. As it is easier to set it up.

Can I tell the difference? I dont think I can. 4x4 is more versatile as it can be used for any board. Never had issue with either of set ups.

Edited by yamifumi

Thanks for the reply guys! 

Yes I think I would prefer a UPM plate but I don't need the the versatility of switching  the plate to another board as I just plan to use the plate on the Kessler

I have a chance to acquire  a Used BP 4mm lite 4x4...  or a New BP V2 4x4    You guys have any suggestions either way??

Also...I got access to Bomber UPM 2nd board kit  ..... I'm gonna buy one of the above 4x4 plates...but what if I switched out the 4x4 lower assembly's for the 2nd board kits UPM lower assembly's ?  That could work  - right??   

Don't limit your horizons. Your Coiler EC and the Swoard Dual could both be fun rides with a plate on them. Until you try you won't be able to form an opinion.

Bomber carbon fibre plates are completely interchangeable with the Bomber UPM and 4x4 lowers. 

I can't advise you on choosing a plate. I have a V1 Bomber 4mm and my own home made carbon fibre, wood core plates. I like my plates STIFF.

Edited by SunSurfer

Good to know the lower assembly's are  interchangeable guys! 

I don't think I'm limiting my options......if I go with the UPM 2nd board kit  I'l have the ability to go either way.   But I was thinking of just Geckos on the heavier Coiler EC SS 177 -  Which I'm still Loving!  

....but which of the two plates to purchase ??

I have 4mm lite and I have been happy with it. I tested in different condition from wide open groomed runs to choppy narrow crowded runs and I had no issue with the 4mm lite. And with my weight at 145lbs, it does the job well.

I am assuming you are talking about 5mm v2? I have never ridden 5mm so I cannot comment but I have heard that it is good for stalkier rider or somebody who wants stiffer rides? 

Dont think you can go wrong either way! 

Edited by yamifumi

I had issue with Boiler plate with my regular 54cm stance, i was able to adjust placemnt pretty poorly.

If you selection is between UPM and 4*4 only and you have multiple boards, and you are not racer, then i would go with 4*4

due it allows you to use plate on any of your boards.

Hey Pokkis,  Yeah my stance is no where that wide..............and this plate is only for the Kessler.......but if I go with a UPM second board kit I'll have both UPM and 4x4 options as both Plates I'm considering are 4x4

...but I'm not the type to be switching a plate from board to board............I'd just buy another plate. 

The question still is -  which Plate!          BP V2   OR  BP 4mm Lite     ???

Edited by barryj

Do I need a Wunderbar regardless of 4x4 or UPM ????

This is what i could find from the Bomber store:  Not sure if I read it as the gospel or just a good starting point.

Boiler Plate 5mm = Uber firm torsionaly Designed for maximum speed for the heavier and aggressive carver. The faster you go, the happier this plate is.

Boiler Plate 4mm = Excellent mix of torsional flex and stability at all speeds. Made for all carvers and racers of all abilities.

Boiler Plate 4mm Lite = The ultimate in a freecarve plate. Maximum torsion flex for control at low to medium speeds. Or for the light/medium weight racer.

I have the 4mm BP and I like it for the first hour or two, but after that, I find it hard to turn... I have a feeling it is as I get tired, I can't flex / press the board as it wants.... Maybe I should trade for the 4mm BP lite then, as it sounds more aligned to my needs....

Any takers?

8 hours ago, yamifumi said:

I have 4mm lite and I have been happy with it. I tested in different condition from wide open groomed runs to choppy narrow crowded runs and I had no issue with the 4mm lite. And with my weight at 145lbs, it does the job well.

I am assuming you are talking about 5mm v2? I have never ridden 5mm so I cannot comment but I have heard that it is good for stalkier rider or somebody who wants stiffer rides? 

Dont think you can go wrong either way! 

I don't have an opinion on the plates but I'm going with "stalkier" from now on! Makes me feel like I spend a lot of time striding vigorously from place to place. I've been "stocky" far too long!

My personal experiences:

I bolted up a 5mm BP to a favorite board.  Wow, this is neat, small bumps/chatter largely disappear.  But oh man, I felt like I bolted a freight train to my feet!  I found myself going faster than I had gone in a while, rather effortlessly.  Stopping and sideslipping was a challenge - I felt like my board was significantly longer and stiffer than it was.  

Then I put on a 4mm BP on the same board.  Same effect over small bumps.  Stopping/sideslipping was less of a challenge, but it still felt unnatural.  

Then I put on a 4mm BP Lite on the same board.  Fin told me it was for kids and light women, and lightly mocked my 220 lb frame on this flimsy little plate.  Haha!  I expressed my thoughts about his mother and went for a ride.  Now we're talking!  Basically the same effect over small bumps, but now the board feels more natural when not carving.  

Fin said they had tested UPM vs. 4x4 - very few could tell the difference.  Theoretically, the UPM is more efficient as the board has less distance to bend between the holes and the edge, but it's mostly a mental masturbation exercise.  

Putting my money where my mouth is - I bought a 4mm BP Lite plate.  I ride it pretty infrequently now, as I generally prefer the feel of a bare board.  But I always bring it along when I go as it can really save a day when the snow gets all chopped up.  I wouldn't buy the plate again knowing how little I use it, but I'll keep it now that I already have it.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

I don't have an opinion on the plates but I'm going with "stalkier" from now on! Makes me feel like I spend a lot of time striding vigorously from place to place. I've been "stocky" far too long!

hahhaha darn spelling. Stocky! LOL