Note to New Members ×

What would you change on the td3 sidewinders?

I've seen several comments about further improvements that can be made to the current state of hardboot bindings. I wanted to start this thread so we could list what changes we would like to see in some "future" binding. I'm still newish (4-5years) to hardbooting and i can't find many faults if any on the td3's. Perhaps they should allow for more than 6 degrees of canting/lift? In other words, what would your perfect hardboot binding have? Just curious.

• Colozeus changed the title to What would you change on the td3 sidewinders?

Nothing!

I am simply disappointed that I may never be able to buy another new pair.  There is nothing I would change about them.  For me, there isn’t another binding available that can deliver the same setup results, performance and feedback as the TD3.

2 hours ago, Corey said:

Change the SI SW heel profile so it can be reversed for small/UPZ boots. i.e. move the Intec holes forward. 

Make toe/heel blocks with the stops on the other side so they can be reversed for small boots. 

This! Or have the heel piece mount to the lower pivot plate in a way that it can be adjusted like the non-SW step ins...something like a more refined version of what Bryan did to his SW's before the SI version was released. 

Edited by RyanN

I am feeling it for those of you who loved your Bomber bindings. It is certainly a huge loss to have them out of production. I bought a pair of SW to try when they first came out, but sold them. I much prefer the flex pattern of F2s. Bomber bindings are not a good match for my lighter weight and riding style (150 pounds).

The SW could definitely be lighter and accommodate smaller boots better.

The biggest issue I have with the SWs is the dead spot in the flex. The boots flex forward and the SWs flex laterally. The problem for me with these two distinct options is that I need to shift up and down the long axis of the board which is much closer to a 45 degree angle at my angles of 53/50. If forward and lateral are the only two flex directions available to me, it becomes a two step process. Flex the boot, then the binding or flex the binding and then the boot. I was always bumping up against that dead spot on the SWs.

The F2s are softer in the long axis of the board direction (roughly 45 degrees) and allow me get my legs where they need to go in one movement.

Perhaps the more evenly flexing TD3, while still stiffer than I want to ride, might have a better flex pattern for riders that are heavy enough to get the flex out of them (I have ridden the TD2s quite a bit, but never the TD3s).

The other issue with the SWs is that they beat me up a lot more than F2s when the grooming was imperfect. I expect this is related to the dead spot in the flex issue.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2018 at 2:17 PM, Buell said:

The biggest issue I have with the SWs is the dead spot in the flex. The boots flex forward and the SWs flex laterally. The problem for me with these two distinct options is that I need to shift up and down the long axis of the board which is much closer to a 45 degree angle at my angles of 53/50. If forward and lateral are the only two flex directions available to me, it becomes a two step process. Flex the boot, then the binding or flex the binding and then the boot. I was always bumping up against that dead spot on the SWs.

The F2s are softer in the long axis of the board direction (roughly 45 degrees) and allow me get my legs where they need to go in one movement.

The other issue with the SWs is that they beat me up a lot more than F2s when the grooming was imperfect. I expect this is related to the dead spot in the flex issue.

Thanks Buell. I never could put into specific words why I didn't like the SW but you pretty much nailed it. The dead spot and beating up on rough snow are the big differences. I could tell where Fin was trying to go with them but they didn't quite hit the mark for me. When arcing in perfect snow I think standard td3 is great, but that's not how/when I do most of my riding. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/2/2018 at 11:08 PM, workshop7 said:

I am simply disappointed that I may never be able to buy another new pair

What!  I see bindings for sale on he Bomber website.......Did I miss something? 

I would like to see a bigger variety of cant disks like adding a 2 and 4 cant disk

Also a stronger but not heavier base plate....I'd pay for Ti

Toe bail that's sprung...always stays up would be nice ..............or fix the wavy washer dilemma! 

47 minutes ago, barryj said:

What!  I see bindings for sale on he Bomber website.......Did I miss something? 

Nope.  Everything is fine.  Bomber is still in business.  Your quote of this statement by me is 2 years old, from when there was a question of weather or not Bomber was closing.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tddragon said:

I know this is an old thread. However - What about putting gecko plates under the td3 bindings to make it softer for lighter riders? Or will that interfere with the td3 dampening system?

Works well. 

• 3 years later...
On 3/17/2020 at 1:37 PM, lonbordin said:

I agree. Been using my bpp lowers with my td3sws and geckos. Good stuff with a low stack height.

Bpp lowers as in the boiler plate version of the lower assembly as shown here which is 1/4" shorter than the traditional lower assembly?

image.png.f28dcc6ef1ff6acf042b72f8b8b8f64b.png

I'm thinking about buying TD3 SW and the Virus Isolator plates which are similar to the geckos. Do you think the traditional lower assembly for the TD3 would be too tall mounted on the geckos/isolators?