Note to New Members ×

Gray Snowboards?

Randy Kight

25 minutes ago, Rob Stevens said:

What do you see as the fundamental differences?

Visually, they’re very close. 

It's basically the japanese taking the BX shapes and making a funcarve board. None of them will do well in a BX competition because the base and materials aren't quite on par  with the award winning ones, they understand what makes a board carve well, but speed oriented BX races not so much.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob Stevens said:

What’s the width of this?

https://shop.virus-snowsports.com/freeride-snowboards/

Das Revolution verfügt im Vergleich zum Avalanche AFT über noch bessere Tiefschnee Eigenschaften.

Länge: 170cm, 162cm

effektive Kante: 132 cm, 124cm

mittlere Breite: 26.2cm, 25.5cm

Shred Gruumer:  162 MIttlere Breite 22.0cm

Edited by Shred Gruumer
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, daveo said:

Not even close...

21 hours ago, pauleleven said:

It's basically the japanese taking the BX shapes and making a funcarve board. None of them will do well in a BX competition because the base and materials aren't quite on par  with the award winning ones, they understand what makes a board carve well, but speed oriented BX races not so much.

Touche.  Wasn't trying to claim that these desperado type boards ARE BX boards. ha ha.  Trying to highlight the fact that if you were going to reinvent carving with softboots (as a sort of "thought experiment")  BX boards would be a tempting starting point.  They have long effective edges, carve well, deal with speed effectively and are aimed at being used with softboots.  If you look at the desperado, this is basically what they have done.  Taken a generic BX boardshape, tweaked the stiffness, construction, and materials, to provide a funcarving (like the term!) board.  And Voila!  There are problems....  For big footed gorillas the boards are still too skinny.  Those highly effecient shapes (high EE to overall length ratio) lead to all kinds of mayhem freeriding in Rob's Lake Louise context:  The short noses submarine if not watched in soft snow of any depth, the tails (wide and corner-ey) catch on bumps/terrain irregularities, the short wide corner-ey tip profiles hunt and hook in fluted/hollow/gullied/sidehill softsnow riding (why do you think all those powder-sticks coming out of japans deep snow/mad gully systems all have extended noses!).  All this can be handled by skill and attention by a competent pilot, but compromises the experience... Give em some tip and tail, widen em up, a bit o' taper and you got something.  Hey that Virus thing looks familiar.  Fullbags Diamond Blade is pretty sweet.  Endeavor hammerhead thingy is sweet.  There are boards out there lurking in the corners of the design envelope, they just seem a little narrow for the big guys to deal with the high angle carving component with (even moderately) duck footed stances.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, carlito said:

The short noses submarine if not watched in soft snow of any depth, the tails (wide and corner-ey) catch on bumps/terrain irregularities, the short wide corner-ey tip profiles hunt and hook in fluted/hollow/gullied/sidehill softsnow riding

Agree. My Flux has these attributes which detract a little from it's all mountain ability. 

5 hours ago, carlito said:

Touche.  Wasn't trying to claim that these desperado type boards ARE BX boards. ha ha.  Trying to highlight the fact that if you were going to reinvent carving with softboots (as a sort of "thought experiment")  BX boards would be a tempting starting point.  They have long effective edges, carve well, deal with speed effectively and are aimed at being used with softboots.  If you look at the desperado, this is basically what they have done.  Taken a generic BX boardshape, tweaked the stiffness, construction, and materials, to provide a funcarving (like the term!) board.  And Voila!  There are problems....  For big footed gorillas the boards are still too skinny.  Those highly effecient shapes (high EE to overall length ratio) lead to all kinds of mayhem freeriding in Rob's Lake Louise context:  The short noses submarine if not watched in soft snow of any depth, the tails (wide and corner-ey) catch on bumps/terrain irregularities, the short wide corner-ey tip profiles hunt and hook in fluted/hollow/gullied/sidehill softsnow riding (why do you think all those powder-sticks coming out of japans deep snow/mad gully systems all have extended noses!).  All this can be handled by skill and attention by a competent pilot, but compromises the experience... Give em some tip and tail, widen em up, a bit o' taper and you got something.  Hey that Virus thing looks familiar.  Fullbags Diamond Blade is pretty sweet.  Endeavor hammerhead thingy is sweet.  There are boards out there lurking in the corners of the design envelope, they just seem a little narrow for the big guys to deal with the high angle carving component with (even moderately) duck footed stances.

They're dedicated carving machines meant for forward stance. Softboot equivalent of say an SG Full Carve. Not meant to be powder or freeride boards. Gray make that also, if you're interested in a Gray Snowboardo ;) 

8 hours ago, carlito said:

BX shapes are very much a thing in Asia, these softer boards like Gray and BC are created for people to learn alpine/forward carving. As of right now in China, after someone  gets a few days  on the snowboard they either choose  BX shapes or park boards, it's that big. However, out of every 10 people riding a BX type, only 1 carves decent. The top riders can actually do amazing  stuff with superstiff actual SBX boards like Kessler or SG, but then you also have stupid rich beginners getting a custom order Oxess when they don't even understand how to do the edge.

Once the intuition sets in for the edge to edge, the power and ability to ride  stiff boards come  very very fast. I'm in a conundrum, either finding one  of these super stiff  boards to do the full work out, or just upgrade to hardboot

hmmm..... choices

3 hours ago, daveo said:

They're dedicated carving machines meant for forward stance. Softboot equivalent of say an SG Full Carve. Not meant to be powder or freeride boards. Gray make that also, if you're interested in a Gray Snowboardo ;) 

sadly I think Gray sells  too  many boards outside of Japan, I think for 17-18 they added  carbon, mach and something else to the  lineup, before it  was just desperado, ti and TR.

why buy one board  for all  conditions, when you can have six  boards from us for every  condition? taking that damn Riedel approach that  broke the fine crystal  industry. Gray to me is just way too hyped, great boards  but too hyped.....

1 hour ago, pauleleven said:

Gray to me is just way too hyped, great boards  but too hyped.....

GRAY GRAY GRAY IS THE BEST ... sorry. just aboard that ol' hype train :smashfrea

In saying that, I did like the TR. Not sure if it's worth the billion dollars that they charge. I'll get a Desperado on sale for my gf for next year :)

1 hour ago, pauleleven said:

but then you also have stupid rich beginners getting a custom order Oxess when they don't even understand how to do the edge.

A this is the China I know too well...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, carlito said:

I disagree.  BX boards has much larger SCR(s) to go fast.  Year after year, BX boards have been designed specifically to its race courses (few turns here and there but with more rollers). Now some well known Worldcup BX boards are built with 15 -17m SCR.   As a alpine rider, I know how to bend it but a lot more effort are needed.  Generally speaking, if a snowboarder want to carve like hardbooters with a softboot snowboard, he/she will be better off with a board with different dimension and construction of current BX boards.  And I am finding very promising designs from above discussed Asian softboot specific carving boards. 

I can't speak for all hardbooters but, at least for me, I am searching for a softboot carving board because I want to ride with kids and have fun with them, like doing ground tricks, jumps, and etc. but also carve well too, according to our 'carving' standard.   Some (at least we know one) are just too lazy to pack multiple boards for a once-a-year trip so looking for one that carves well.  :)   But I bet majority who wants to carve like hardbooters on softboot snowboards would be coming off from mass-market rocker snowboards or magna-crap camber boards with grom size effective edge length that has promoted skids rather than turns.  Those Asian carving specific softboot boards'   hammerhead decambered nose, long effective edge length, similar but progressive SCRs, familiar flex, and new construction (probably necessary to compensate the "normalization") have led them to learn and carve properly, as we seen them on YouTube.  Now the Asian board companies even offer various models for rider's level or type of ridings (i.e.  BC Stream's RX, R2, H).  It all evolve with demands.  Few years ago, North America snowboard brands took a chance with backcountry riding, A lot of POW specific boards (swallowtail, split, etc.) came out and added to their model line up.  But I think ROI of those models must have been pretty bad.  I see this carving trend is more favorable. If they see this as an opportunity, they need to step up, instead of promoting 'already-existed', 'misleading', 'hype-driven' technologies.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, piusthedrcarve said:

If they see this as an opportunity, they need to step up, instead of promoting 'already-existed', 'misleading', 'hype-driven' technologies.

I doubt that it would happen in the US tho, these japanese boards and technique(especially) don't work all that well in powder or skier mogels, I  had quite some problem with the alps covered in mogels trying to carve. The boards that can handle these conditions well won't be able to hold an aggressive edge, maybe something in the 800 USD+ range but that's beyond your average price range  of a snowboarder

also what is it with hating on forward stance  in the US???

3 hours ago, piusthedrcarve said:

I see this carving trend is more favorable. If they see this as an opportunity, they need to step up, instead of promoting 'already-existed', 'misleading', 'hype-driven' technologies.

Is softboot carving a thing in the US? As in, are people (apart from Shred) actually buying dedicated softboot carving boards and then competenly carving on them?

I only ride in Asia and it's huge here...

Edited by daveo

8 minutes ago, daveo said:

Is softboot carving a thing in the US? As in, are people (apart from Shred) actually buying dedicated softboot carving boards and then competenly carving on them?

It has been.  More and more, we see softbooters carve on the hills and more people has asked me how to carve than before.  Some youtube videos of  pro-riders carve in half pipe were shared thru social media channels. To me, it seems carving is shown as a technique on already possessed gears that they have on.  That's why we see a lot of toilet-sitting heelside turns.  I think current available bindings play big role there, 

32 minutes ago, daveo said:

Softboot carving is a bit of a thing here, but it is mixed with freeriding and the board choice reflects that. It is much more about style than technique and a lot of cool looking toe sides are followed by a slashing heel side skid that is primarily intended to slow them down and throw a bunch of snow in the air. Almost no one in softboots is doing linked carves down a groomer. That is boring to the US softbooters who can lay a trench (toe side at least).

Only a few riders are seeking out softboot carvers that are primarily for groomers. The only ones I ever see on the slopes are associated with the hardboot community in some way.

10 minutes ago, piusthedrcarve said:

we see softbooters carve on the hills and more people has asked me how to carve than before. 

I do too! which is a good thing...except when they actually think they are doing the same turn as Im doing on my hardboots...but hey they are trying!  and I like it!  I have lifties at my local hill wanting to go the carving route (softboot)..  They look at my BX boards and what can be done on the hill they actually gravitate to it..  funny though cause when I ask why they say.."cause it looks so cool, looks like fun"  I guess the park is not fun?  haha..

30 minutes ago, piusthedrcarve said:

we see a lot of toilet-sitting heelside turns.  I think current available bindings play big role there, 

Yes..  Carve specific bindings please!  better angles.. I too do the toilet seat turn initiation first move on heel side (its an angle thing)... But all is not lost as my new pick up in boots should make a huge difference..  I will know is two days what will be the next step..  at some point I don't want to go to far to lose the softie benefits...too far means..."WTF I might as well wear my hard boots now that Im on a 40/50 angles..and just ride the board with plates"...  I want to be able to just carve enough then go hit the soft snow and bumps...and not have to bring two sets of everything when I take a trip..  I think the opposite is possible too..  I have a more soft snow, powder specific hard boot snowboard coming in the mail today (virus revolution 22cm wide)...  gee that will solve everything.. why am I doing this silly softboot carving again.....doh!!  Because it feels different..in a good way...

v0RL7_s-200x150.gif

Edited by Shred Gruumer
  • Like 1