Note to New Members ×

Gray Snowboards?

Randy Kight

On 02/03/2018 at 7:23 PM, pauleleven said:

One of the guys on that racing team got first place in a slalom competition with B-ONE, crazy fast base

Cool

Thanks for the info.

Will get my hands on the B-One.

Just need some risers to try it out.

Edited by Poloturbo

20 hours ago, Randy Kight said:

Not sure how any of them would ride under my 230lbs, but they’re absolutely beautiful in shape...love this hammerhead look. I have no intention riding soft...only plates as I’ve done since ‘91. 

Gray type R, the alloy board, and this Chinese IS double titanal are the only three boards I can think of on the Asian market that would work for you.

p.s. I literally registered to post on this thread lol, the soft boot carving phenomenon thread is too complicated to comment so I didn't bother

20 hours ago, Buell said:

I have an older 163 Kessler Ride. I like it, but it is too narrow at 250 waist. It also is just a bit longer than I need. The Ride is a freeride board but am looking for just a groomer softboot carver so I am not sure what we might come up with. 158 length x 260 waist. I want it to be playful, but be a serious carver.

Either an aggressive softboot carver or a hardboot set up, that is a big question. I already have a nice HB set up and have been trying to find a nice SB carver.

I picked up a 156 Amplid Pentaquark this year. For my size, it is an aggressive softboot carver. Not real playful, but super stable at speed. I cannot get it to completely come around on some of the runs I want to ride, it just turns a bit too big.

I am going to get to try my buddies new 161 Coiler BXFR with a 265 waist next week.

Both ONE R-one and B-one would work great for that, the Alloy board looks similar to R-one

was talking to a ski super G racer today, when I mentioned it's hard and soft at the same time he totally got it, anything with springy and high tensile strength like carbon fiber would be awesome, best application of carbon so far is on the ONE. Gray has a carbon version this year as well but haven't tried it. Alloy could be the same, but haven't tried

Thank you PaulEleven!  I appreciate you jumping on and bringing the information and experience!  This is what it's all about...

I tried reading some of that thread...got lost and bailed.  

I started this thread with high interest in that Type R...and have learned a tremendous amount about the different offerings I had no idea existed!  I need a few now...the Type R, that Yonex that Shred brought in, and I'm going to give this Alloy a go as well if possible.  

4 hours ago, pauleleven said:

Both ONE R-one and B-one would work great for that, the Alloy board looks similar to R-one

was talking to a ski super G racer today, when I mentioned it's hard and soft at the same time he totally got it, anything with springy and high tensile strength like carbon fiber would be awesome, best application of carbon so far is on the ONE. Gray has a carbon version this year as well but haven't tried it. Alloy could be the same, but haven't tried

Well it looks like I picked two good ones to buy..  tomorrow is my softboot go at it with the Santa Cruz SRX, i got older K2 T1 boots and new Switchback Sessions bindings.   Will give that a go..  If it fails, then i have fun wide carvers with hardboots that i have done for years.  if it goes well i might pick up some Ride Insano boots and then i dont have to worry of what to bring on far away trips.. which is my goal..  but i do have a 22cm wide Virus Revolution if the softboot thing is a failure for me, should have it next week....stay tuned   Looks like the R-One topsheet.

Virus-Revolution-1-e1508871118521.jpg

Edited by Shred Gruumer

7 hours ago, Randy Kight said:

Thank you PaulEleven!  I appreciate you jumping on and bringing the information and experience!  This is what it's all about...

I tried reading some of that thread...got lost and bailed.  

I started this thread with high interest in that Type R...and have learned a tremendous amount about the different offerings I had no idea existed!  I need a few now...the Type R, that Yonex that Shred brought in, and I'm going to give this Alloy a go as well if possible.  

I'm a board nerd, or tech nerd, love this stuff ;)

7 hours ago, daveo said:

Do you know which model is the carbon version? 

Literally called desperado carbon, refer to the picture on page 2 or 3 with the titanal inserts

7 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Well it looks like I picked two good ones to buy..  tomorrow is my softboot go at it with the Santa Cruz SRX, i got older K2 T1 boots and new Switchback Sessions bindings.   Will give that a go..  If it fails, then i have fun wide carvers with hardboots that i have done for years.  if it goes well i might pick up some Ride Insano boots and then i dont have to worry of what to bring on far away trips.. which is my goal..  but i do have a 22cm wide Virus Revolution if the softboot thing is a failure for me, should have it next week....stay tuned   Looks like the R-One topsheet.

Virus-Revolution-1-e1508871118521.jpg

Seen the virus silver top sheet board? UFC I believe? That ones cool, too bad when I tried the UFC I had neither the skill nor my own bindings :(

On 2/28/2018 at 2:45 PM, daveo said:

Interesting regarding softboot slalom. I'd like to see it. Got any videos?

Yeah I thought I'd heard someone tell me the Ti was 2 strips and the Type-r was criss cross. Thanks for confirming that. The construction info slash specs are hard to find.

I'm keen on the 166 Type-r but I'm also interested in an Apex, Kessler or Oxess. The 172 seems way too big in all respects for me. 

I am interested to hear your feedback on the SG bx board. Construction issues aren't good though. The guys I ride with all have SGs (full carve 170) and they seem to hold up well. A few here have some softboot carving boards and they're holding up well. But then again I haven't inspected them closely.

IMG_4400.JPG.1e90064fb35c0c10a3f93a8ed2c13e54.JPG

These are the guys, fresh off a  competition this weekend

The competition  was a mess, Genting Cup, at one of the facilities for 2022, after everyone signed up they changed the rules saying no hardboots allowed

IMG_4402.JPG.377f34511ff3051b491a075a400c56df.JPG

Then after the first team won by a margin of whole 10 seconds (out of 2 minutes), everyone on the  team magically became pro athletes according to Chinese Wikipedia, score was canceled.

IMG_4401.JPG.1d2a160b8ee66b26aa6301d7fb454ca2.JPG

Good thing is, second and third team were so angry they didn't go on the podium during award ceremony, great guys in the pictures there.

This whole thing is just blowing up, Genting is gonna be a major competition facility for snowsports in 2022, hmmmmmm..........

p.s. the first ranking team was riding SG Froce and Soul

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:04 PM, daveo said:

Shred, why not driver x? Not a fan?

Nope! Not the B word...  haha...  There is mixed reviews on it.. as well as all other boots...  So I found a pair of New Ride Insano's on sale this morning for $279 marked down from its $389 MSRP..  Then EVO did the 5% price match...so $265...  This should make a world of difference after what I learned yesterday on the hill..

I’d love to hear how the insanos work out. I saw the deal and was thinking about pulling the trigger. I don’t particularly like the hard plastic tongue, I’m worried that it’ll dig in on my foot. OTOH if the fit is right it could be an awesome boot.  

So, I rode my Santa Cruz SRX 161 with (Older K2 T1 boots) new Switchback Session bindings...    Interesting to say the least.

Quick things I noticed..  my bottoms of my feet hurt!  not the instep really but more like I could actually feel the board and binding... maybe to some that feels is good but I didn't like it..  A firm ridged sole with a shank would be great!!! So I am hopeful the new boots will end that part... will talk more on the boot thing.

Yep bindings are stiff...and yep quickly learned about the high back digging in the back of your leg!! especially the Front Foot!!  Things got better when I backed off using an alpine technique of rotating and trying to use the lateral part of my boot to apply pressure to roll the board on edge..NOPE,  soft boot is not ridged enough so that didn't work to well..  I got some relief when I did rotate the front with more angle and then the back of my leg was on more of the softer part of the high back.

I'm glad I did watch all that soft boot carving so I had an idea of what needs to be done from a soft boot and angle of feet perspective and that sit in the bucket stuff...  Ick by the way!!

Once I learned how to really get the technique and sequence of squat and sit in the bucket upon heelside initiation then the edge really did bite and carving was accomplished smoothly... this didn't set up for a lightning fast transition to toe side by any means... you also have the width of the board that comes into play..  Also I don't think I have worked that hard to carve in years!!  but then again I only rode for about two hours...all groom ...up down up down up down!!   

So at the end... it started to be fun and if the new boots give me even more support and control then I think im going somewhere!!  Don't know how I would design softie carving bindings..  I think that at the end top of the high back it should curve away slightly to give you less of a pinch point..  I like the look of the Salomon Quantum's and Defenders, and least from the photos they look to be flared out and would be more comfortable.  Then if you could rotate that high back cuff to be more to the outside of your leg (front foot), inside for your back foot (just me), you could get that needed pressure to roll into that heel side turn and drive pressure..  The heel side was the only low point but hope to improve that this week end when the Ride Insano's show up!!..  

Its all coming together, but still no where near hardboots..   I switched to hard boots and jumped on my Coiler Wobbly Gobblin and it was fricken heaven!!   I do see a place for softboot carving and setups...I'm going to still pursue this!!

Pics of boots to come then,,, bindings for next season...as Cash is empty!!

I'm sure I'll hear it now!!! ugggggggg.....

GRE.jpg

Quantum.jpg

Destroyer....jpg

Edited by Shred Gruumer

28 minutes ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Any Thoughts....  Im thinking of adding one!  have you? anyone? Certainly may help...  or something like this...if its stiff enough!!

We should follow the expert-> 

5a78b0b1b1cec_3strap.JPG.0a263ec210a53ea

Looks fairly straightforward.

Edited by lonbordin
Image didn't work the first time...

5 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Any Thoughts....  Im thinking of adding one!  have you? anyone? Certainly may help...  or something like this...if its stiff enough!!

techni.JPG

for 3 strap set up...best to have a solid Highback, to provide enough support...a good example would be something  like this, this years Burton Freestyle, around 140 Bucs...3 straps removes most of the Ankle Flexibility and yet adds some Lateral...it is a different ride...not suggesting for anyone else TT, just a friendly responseI for Shredman, I weigh 165 lbs.  @ 6 ft. and with a 3 strap set up and locked Highjack, no extra stiff boot is required

burton-freestyle-snowboard-bindings-2018-black-matte.jpg