Note to New Members ×

Gray Snowboards?

Randy Kight

1 hour ago, softbootsurfer said:

for 3 strap set up...best to have a solid Highback, to provide enough support...a good example would be something  like this, this years Burton Freestyle, around 140 Bucs...3 straps removes most of the Ankle Flexibility and yet adds some Lateral...it is a different ride...not suggesting for anyone else TT, just a friendly responseI for Shredman, I weigh 165 lbs.  @ 6 ft. and with a 3 strap set up and locked Highjack, no extra stiff boot is required

burton-freestyle-snowboard-bindings-2018-black-matte.jpg

I for one don't mind this tech.

I like the idea of being able to have an otherwise softer boot, but then be able to lock the highback and attach the 3rd strap for a hardboot feel. In this way, it's like the boot is the liner and the binding is the shell, when compared to a regular hardboot.

Where I might differ is in the binding I'd use. As a not-160 lb person, I'd stick with my Drake Podium FF's, or some equally c0*k stiff rig. It'd be interesting to see if the highback tolerated being clamped in place like that, as no binding, when locked, would provide the flex pattern of a proper hard boot. I guess we'll have to have a clip on BTS spring.

This is getting complicated.

1 hour ago, Rob Stevens said:

I for one don't mind this tech.

I like the idea of being able to have an otherwise softer boot, but then be able to lock the highback and attach the 3rd strap for a hardboot feel. In this way, it's like the boot is the liner and the binding is the shell, when compared to a regular hardboot.

Where I might differ is in the binding I'd use. As a not-160 lb person, I'd stick with my Drake Podium FF's, or some equally c0*k stiff rig. It'd be interesting to see if the highback tolerated being clamped in place like that, as no binding, when locked, would provide the flex pattern of a proper hard boot. I guess we'll have to have a clip on BTS spring.

This is getting complicated.

not really, 

Forward flex is there with a leather top strap and the Flex of the Highback material itself, plus the slight raise in baseplate with full pressure applied, the top strap ratchet strap can also be loosened for more play...none of this is necessary though with your current set up, never ever met a Duck that liked this set up either...I appreciate your observation about the Shell and the Liner analogy to a HB, though the available Lateral force is really not close to equal of a HB...

10 hours ago, piusthedrcarve said:

Check out Flux DSW bindings too.   http://www.flux-bindings.com/products/dsw/  

This Flux looks like a great 3 strap modification choice, the wings on the solid Highback would help supply the lateral pressure...I tried putting some different wings on years ago, but never really had much luck...thanks for the post...

3 minutes ago, softbootsurfer said:

This Flux looks like a great 3 strap modification choice, the wings on the solid Highback would help supply the lateral pressure...I tried putting some different wings on years ago, but never really had much luck...thanks for the post...

For me,  I would want wings on both sides!  I think a carving binding niche is waiting!! ..the ingenuity of N.A. can figure this out!   But what are the overseas people doing?

giphy.gif

34 minutes ago, softbootsurfer said:

wings on the solid Highback would help supply the lateral pressure...

Need This! double wings or at least Both wings on the same side on the leading edge side, forward side.

11 minutes ago, daveo said:

I dunno, not sure I can ride a "jib machine"

No Jib... lateral pressure..like hard boots.....Doh!!!

11 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

not really, 

Forward flex is there with a leather top strap and the Flex of the Highback material itself, plus the slight raise in baseplate with full pressure applied, the top strap ratchet strap can also be loosened for more play...none of this is necessary though with your current set up, never ever met a Duck that liked this set up either...I appreciate your observation about the Shell and the Liner analogy to a HB, though the available Lateral force is really not close to equal of a HB...

Yes, really.

I'd destroy a bolted binding like the Cartel. Anythiing that would work for me and last longer than two turns would need to be taken from a certain starting point, or thought, and engineered into a pretty robust product.

14 minutes ago, Rob Stevens said:

I'd destroy a bolted binding like the Cartel. Anything that would work for me and last longer than two turns

Yea...  That's my thought... I think I would rip that high back off the first heel move I made to put pressure on it laterally if I went with a Third strap..  I think the Wing thing has potential to give you addition edge pressure...eh what do I know.   I'm just doing this so I don't have to lug two sets of everything to Whitefish every year!!!...  I'm hoping the new boots solve about 50% of the issues I had this past weekend..   If not... then I got a nice set of boots to ride I guess...

I found this though... one of the nicer add ons .https://www.ratchetingbuckles.com/ratchet-buckles-ladder-straps/powerstraps/

Well, a couple of things...

Nice looking boards.  Price could make one hesitate.   Quick money exchange check makes the desperados about $2000 Canadian.  Sheesh.  What do they pay waiters in Japan?  I think there are some  issues with what Rob called scaling here.  None of the (really nice/skilled!) riders are very big folks with probably small feet (hard to tell).  The big board is 26 wide.  with an effective edge off the chart.  Probably rides really nice.   If your feet fit on it.  And you are used to boards that are really long.  Most people coming from an all mountain/softboot context are not.  These guys are riding with forward stances.  This allows for a bunch of stuff, compared to duck, but fundamentally duck requires more width to avoid bootout.

You wonder what this is heading towards/where the trend is going.  I think the Japanese show is pretty cool right now.  The focus on "line"  the "turn"   the "carve" combined with what looks like a certain freedom to serve small niches (snowsurfing/softboot carving) is showing us a bunch of new cool toys.  Or is it?  These desperado boards are fundamentally BX boards.  If people are looking to ride softboots with the same angles (or at least trending that way ha ha ) as their hardboots and fight with making bindings work as they get more loaded, Donek, Coiler, Prior, Kessler, et al have already got you covered - If you want to stay narrow.  The Gray boys have made things wide enough for their softbooted feet,( probably not Rob's) and softened them to the point where softboots will push them around.  But I don't think a BX/all mountain carving stick is what people are really wanting;  else stick with the hardboots and angles.    I think the unspoken thing is people want to be able to have a board they ride around on when it snows, or the mountain has variable conditions/terrain, or , basically, they feel constrained/limited by hardboots, that will be able to carve with aplomb when they are looking at a beautifully  groomed slope.  They want more versatility than their hardboot setup, and better carving than the (typical) softboot setup (including board) currently demonstrates.  These boards are a step in the right direction - addressing the carving aspect nicely, but have some issues with versatility....

Ah, what do I know.  To me the snowsurfing/softboot carving resurgence sure looks like 1989 "glisse" without paragliders and neon...

2 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

You're welcomed.  But please read reviews of Flux bindings before you commit.  Flux bindings has been reported for lack of foam on footbed, which is valid point for freestyle riders or riders who jump alot.  Also, the footbed are not canted.  I, personally, like minimal foam footbed so that I can feel the board flex under my feet.  For cant option, I am tinkering with @erazz's solution (3D printed plates).  That will allow me to customize Lift, Cant, Height, and possibly firmness (70a - 90a), like TD3 e-rings or TD1 bumpers/Apex Gecko bumpers.  

2 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Need This! double wings or at least Both wings on the same side on the leading edge side, forward side.

The first Burton Mission GT bindings had a locking hiback with removable wings that could be screwed on either side of the hiback. I used to run them both on the forward side and they worked great.

1 hour ago, daveo said:

Not even close...

What do you see as the fundamental differences?

Visually, they’re very close. 

In any case, most of what Carl speaks to are outline issues. Shape and width are my sticking points as well. Flex? SCR? Those aren’t my top line concerns. 

As for binders, there’s probably a case to be made for something that can allow the boot and binding to interface at the high back, where forward flex occurs via a solution other than deformation of locked up plastic. 

I’ve been thinking of an AT boot with the heel and toe shaved off, no highback and just a baseplate. The baseplate could be shimmed out to allow different angles without moving the bolts, but the main problem as I see it is that you only have locked down ski mode, or walk mode. I need a few choices in between.