Note to New Members ×

Gray Snowboards?

Randy Kight

4 hours ago, daveo said:

Is it just me or does the SCR seem back to front on the DO? 

I guess biggest radius going too small instead of the opposite? 

Can you elaborate more Don. On construction also?

Too bad the condition are worsening here. Glad I started early this year. 

Might have to go see my father in Law in BC. ;)

2 hours ago, daveo said:

he DO looks decent, but I still feel the Type-R is best.

Going by only paper and specs I would be inclined to agree..  But with out riding it..  I would say the Moss Majest or Twister is very close..  And the Yonex I think is a Dark Horse surprise no one is mentioning..  By looking at the specs they seem to have the little things down..  Like a slight rocker in the nose and tail like my Coilers or Kesslers..   Seem to have quiet a bit of ingredients in them as well...    I hope some people pick one of these boards mentioned in this post and give feedback and then how to get one...  Should be an interesting Year!  I'm doing my part...get on it!!

44 minutes ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Going by only paper and specs I would be inclined to agree..  But with out riding it..  I would say the Moss Majest or Twister is very close..  And the Yonex I think is a Dark Horse surprise no one is mentioning..  By looking at the specs they seem to have the little things down..  Like a slight rocker in the nose and tail like my Coilers or Kesslers..   Seem to have quiet a bit of ingredients in them as well...    I hope some people pick one of these boards mentioned in this post and give feedback and then how to get one...  Should be an interesting Year!  I'm doing my part...get on it!!

Shred, I am working on that for Moss and Yonex thru Japanese alpine riders. Hopefully, I get more detailed info. of the mentioned boards soon :) 

My gripe with these, which your average Japanese might not have, is the waist widths. If I extrapolate these out to an average between waist and tip / tail (underfoot width @ the reference stance), I get readings which are too narrow for Gaijin apes.

I'd throw it out there that if you want to "slarve" along with your carving (freeride with advanced sliding turns in cut up / bumped out terrain) you'd be better at lower angles than these boards force you to be in.

That said, they're beautiful boards. For the most part, I'd lust like to see them "scaled up" for the White Devils.

I am loving this thread, thanks for the effort everyone. I have small feet, but like Rob, I am finding these boards have waist widths in the 250 and under range. It would be nice to see some of them closer to 260 for me and wider for bigger footed softboot carvers.

I find it fascinating that the US market for softboot carvers has a completely different board style from the markets in Europe (at least the race board companies) and Asia, as far as I can tell anyway.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:37 PM, Shred Gruumer said:

Did you say Stratton...  Lets go Geoff, Jack, Kobbe,, Loon Guys...  Bhueler....anyone... someone volunteer  we need to get some good ride reports... 

Are those that you mentioned in the Stratton area?  There might be some boards available for demo at Stratton. 

Yup.  I actually searched for the avg. foot size and found this.

https://www.statisticbrain.com/shoe-size-averages/

• Male Adult in US: 10.5  (= 285 mm)
  • Female Adult in US: 9 (probably women size 9) = (250 mm)
  • Avg. male Korean adult* = 270 mm
  • Avg. Female Korean adult* = 235 mm

* sourced from a Korean website.

I wear one of smallest foot print softboot (Burton Driver X 10.5).    I usually set at 27/12 for riding and am happiest with 26-27cm width boards.  I'm planning to add canted soft material 3D plates under bindings without usual canted thick foam.

Edited by piusthedrcarve
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Buell said:

waist widths in the 250 and under range. It would be nice to see some of them closer to 260 for me and wider for bigger footed softboot carvers.

Intresting,  for what Im looking at..  The Alloy as spec'd in the catalog for next year has the DO 165 at 25.8cm wide.   The ONE R-One 162 is 25.4cm..  The Grey Desperado Ti W is 25.4cm.

Tried to start a spread sheet to collect the data on this and other topics.   I haven't added any bindings or boots that fit softboot carving..  If you want to take it and run with it and expand go for it....  insert it back in so we can view and update and use..

It was just a crud attempt guys...

SB Carving Shit.xlsx

1 hour ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Intresting,  for what Im looking at..  The Alloy as spec'd in the catalog for next year has the DO 165 at 25.8cm wide.   The ONE R-One 162 is 25.4cm..  The Grey Desperado Ti W is 25.4cm.

I should have clarified. I am under 150 pounds and want to ride softboots on these boards. I am looking at the boards under 160. I am currently riding a 257 waist and am still at 30/18 angles and destroying my toe strap. I think the 156 Grey Desperado Ti W is the widest of the bunch in the shorter boards at 254.

On 3/1/2018 at 4:02 PM, Alloy Snow USA said:

Hi pauleleven, 

The Chinese market will have Alloy for the 18/19 season.  They just placed a pretty big order.  You will not be disappointed!

That's awesome! You know which company in China ordered them?

On 3/1/2018 at 4:37 PM, Shred Gruumer said:

What...No R-One..?  Give us the skinny when you get it!! Photos please.....

One of the guys on that racing team got first place in a slalom competition with B-ONE, crazy fast base

1 hour ago, Buell said:

I should have clarified. I am under 150 pounds and want to ride softboots on these boards. I am looking at the boards under 160. I am currently riding a 257 waist and am still at 30/18 angles and destroying my toe strap. I think the 156 Grey Desperado Ti W is the widest of the bunch in the shorter boards at 254.

If you're under 150, you may get some trouble with typeR as it literally feels like a metal plate for newbies, between the really good carvers here in China we believe a stiff board like that for someone without the skill set will be very counter productive. For newbies we always recommend BC's R2, or gray desperado basic

but if you already ride hard boot you'll be fine

16 minutes ago, pauleleven said:

If you're under 150, you may get some trouble with typeR as it literally feels like a metal plate for newbies, between the really good carvers here in China we believe a stiff board like that for someone without the skill set will be very counter productive. For newbies we always recommend BC's R2, or gray desperado basic

Thanks for the beta. Flex is always the great unknown when looking at boards you cannot put your hands on.

I am a skilled rider, but do not love over stiff boards for me. At my weight, I have to be careful. I want it to be wider than 254 anyway. As cool as all these boards for the Asia market are, I am planning to get a custom Kessler softboot carver. I have really enjoyed every Kessler I have ridden.

10 minutes ago, pauleleven said:

f you're under 150, you may get some trouble with typeR as it literally feels like a metal plate for newbies, between the really good carvers here in China we believe a stiff board like that for someone without the skill set will be very counter productive. For newbies we always recommend BC's R2, or gray desperado basic

See great information...  

I guess i should clarify..  my goal is not to get better carving gear..  if im dedicated to groom im going hard boot.  But when im on vacation im in a quandry, so the experiment begins. This year i packed 4 boards and just got under the 50 lb limit, on being my warlock never summer, and i am so glad i brought it..   and the kicker is i rode it with hard boots.  So tired of bringing so much gear! Plus my old back with metal plates is getting beat up... It may be a failed experiment after this sunday when i give the softies a go on my stuff.

I might end up bringing both on trips next year...uggg

On a side note, why dont i just give my buddy Bruce at Coiler a call and build me a 25.8 wide 170  softboot carver  9.5/11/10.5

IMAG4706.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alloy Snow USA said:

I’ll email the company.  Where are you located?

Beijing, there's like three or four importers for all the carving boards essentially, haha

34 minutes ago, Buell said:

Thanks for the beta. Flex is always the great unknown when looking at boards you cannot put your hands on.

I am a skilled rider, but do not love over stiff boards for me. At my weight, I have to be careful. I want it to be wider than 254 anyway. As cool as all these boards for the Asia market are, I am planning to get a custom Kessler softboot carver. I have really enjoyed every Kessler I have ridden.

From Kessler maybe something like Ride or Cross Light would work well, I'm in the same weight class.

currently I'm not sure if I should get a stiff and aggressive soft boot board, or upgrade to hard boot, will have to see........

43 minutes ago, pauleleven said:

I'm not sure if I should get a stiff and aggressive soft boot board, or upgrade to hard boot, will have to see.......

Thats a million dollar question....  searching for nirvana   for me BX type boards for now are is close as it gets..kinda   If i truly want to carve hardboots are what ill put on.. but it limits me to specific terrain over and over again.   but i can put on a BX board type with hard boots and i played in the soft stuff and explore the trails, tree riding and back country is a whole other subject.  I dont see too many people ride alpine boards with softboots!!  but i can ride freestyle boards with my hard setup.  The softboot carving BX sets me up better for powder days than the other way around.

P2010053.JPG

Edited by Shred Gruumer

on the side note... im looking for boots, currently a have a tight fitting K2 T1 boot so im looking to snag a good stiff boot.. what do you guys think about the the following ...im gonna ask about bindings later.  ill be testing my new switchback session bindings sunday. if you guys know a deal on something let me know, im watching some stuff on ebay..bindings too..

trying to stay under $200

K2 Raider boot,

K2 Darko boot

Thity Two UL2 boot

or found Ride Insano for 279 if i go higher

Edited by Shred Gruumer

Yes Shred!  This is why I started this thread.  Loved carving up the whole mountain years ago on my old 92 Burton M6 with vari-plates and Nordica SBH’s. Every time I’ve jumped on the skinnies, I have fun, but feel to limiting for my riding frequency/skill level. Love something turny/carvy around 23.5 or so.  Currently in an old Volkl Spline with Trac 700’s with some new SG Performance Bindings on the way to replace my Burton Race Plates and TD3 Sidewinders. 

These Japanese wider, assume friendly, carvers look the ticket.  Not sure how any of them would ride under my 230lbs, but they’re absolutely beautiful in shape...love this hammerhead look. I have no intention riding soft...only plates as I’ve done since ‘91. 

Everytime I check this thread, I’m blown away at the amount of posts/interest as I didn’t think to many would respond.  

Damn I wish I could spend a sunny day making a few runs on each. 

54 minutes ago, pauleleven said:

From Kessler maybe something like Ride or Cross Light would work well, I'm in the same weight class.

currently I'm not sure if I should get a stiff and aggressive soft boot board, or upgrade to hard boot, will have to see........

I have an older 163 Kessler Ride. I like it, but it is too narrow at 250 waist. It also is just a bit longer than I need. The Ride is a freeride board but am looking for just a groomer softboot carver so I am not sure what we might come up with. 158 length x 260 waist. I want it to be playful, but be a serious carver.

Either an aggressive softboot carver or a hardboot set up, that is a big question. I already have a nice HB set up and have been trying to find a nice SB carver.

I picked up a 156 Amplid Pentaquark this year. For my size, it is an aggressive softboot carver. Not real playful, but super stable at speed. I cannot get it to completely come around on some of the runs I want to ride, it just turns a bit too big.

I am going to get to try my buddies new 161 Coiler BXFR with a 265 waist next week.

Edited by Buell

9 minutes ago, Buell said:

I am going to get to try my buddies new 161 Coiler BXFR with a 265 waist next week

I have a narrow BXFR from Brucey..   the next step would be have Brucey make me one.. as you know hes's hobbling around but doing ok on recovery,  170, 25,8 wide 11/9.8/10.2