Note to New Members ×

Hardbooter wins Olympic ski race!

lamby

Interesting to see if ski or snowboard racers cross over to each others disciplines in search of improvement in the future. Ester may be an exception as she is obviously an exceptional athlete. But still, this should get the attention of some (open minded) ski racers and their coaches, and the rest will blame it on the wind.

Alpine snowboarding always seemed more difficult (and more rewarding) to me than skiing, at least at your typical ski resort. Although, at this level skiing looks pretty demanding, but It seems logical that cross training would be beneficial in many ways.

Watching the men's super G, there was a racer (I think one of the top Norwegians) who lost a pole half way down the course and he really struggled without that appendage, even falling over on that side in a turn. I was surprised to see how disabling it was even for a top level skier.

Here is the other thread on Ester from December:

Edited by bigwavedave

Following Ester Ledcka's stunning upset in the Women's Super G, NBC must cover her upcoming Snowboard PGS race. To ignore this possible history making event would be the equivalent of dumping out the Raiders game to air Heidi. If you're too young to remember that NBC blunder, Google it.

In the interests of full disclosure I was an employee of an NBC station a LONG time ago....

413780083.jpg

Edited by patmoore
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

Watching the men's super G, there was a racer (I think one of the top Norwegians) who lost a pole half way down the course and he really struggled without that appendage, even falling over on that side in a turn. I was surprised to see how disabling it was even for a top level skier.

Given that the poles at speed serve a similar purpose to a wire walker's balance pole, it stands to reason that a 'one-armed bandit' might have some difficulty on the course.

None would be better than one, but that's a tough move in the moment.

5 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

Interesting to see if ski or snowboard racers cross over to each others disciplines in search of improvement in the future.  ...This should get the attention of some (open minded) ski racers and their coaches, and the rest will blame it on the wind.

Ligety has been out-snowboarding the snowboarders for a number of years already. The big difference is that he's so much better at channeling the rebound developed with the 'stomp' mode, though it's taken a toll on his body.

As evident during her SG run,  Ester has Frøken Smillas fornemmelse for sne. When you've got it, you're generally going to be faster than a similarly-trained athlete with 'dumb' feet, regardless of venue.

If a coach is not constantly looking beyond their discipline for inspiration and resource, that coach isn't doing the job. One has to wonder what Ester's coaches discuss over coffee?

• Like 1

So, which is it? 1) Ester is an unusually talented athlete, Bo Jackson on snow, who can learn two separate disciplines at a WC/Olympic level, or 2) Cross-training ski and alpine snowboard has reproducible benefits for both disciplines? Think we'll see any other skiers cross-training alpine snowboard?

False dichotomy. Both.

Thought I suspect that EL has an uncommon mix of factors.

Wealthy parents bankrolled her until sponsors came on board.

She liked both sports from very early on. 

She is an amazing athlete, though the same could probably be said for anyone winning gold on skis or snowboard.

And just to stir the pot. It helps the cross training if you learn how to alpine snowboard like a skier, not like a butt hanging out tailside snowboarder. >:) 

Edited by SunSurfer
The last bit is just to poke the fire a little.

On a MUCH MUCH lower level of competition, I got my 15 minutes of minor fame ten years ago at Steamboat winning my age group in both disciplines.  Sharp eyes will recognize Phil Mahre signing autographs in the background of this article in Ski Racing Magazine..  It's been done three times since, most recently by my five-year-old grandson.  I really enjoy racing on both and will do so tomorrow at Mount Sunapee for a Vertical Challenge race.  

413782358.jpg

Found the upcoming PGS races on the schedule. I had to go to CBS's website to find NBC's schedule! 
Thursday 2 - 5:30 am NBC Sports Network 
Friday 11:35 - 1 am NBC 
Not exactly prime time..... Hopefully that'll change.

413782362.jpg

Edited by patmoore
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, patmoore said:

Found the upcoming PGS races on the schedule. I had to go to CBS's website to find NBC's schedule! 
Thursday 2 - 5:30 am NBC Sports Network 
Friday 11:35 - 1 am NBC 
Not exactly prime time..... Hopefully that'll change.

413782362.jpg

Pat, I am using Express VPN (monthly fee required) to change my location to Canada and watching the CBC coverage, which I'm pretty sure will stream alpine snowboarding live, has no commercials, and is generally less irritating than the NBC coverage. Looks like the finals will start around 7 p.m. Pacific / 10 p.m. Eastern, that beats waiting around for NBC to dole out a few crappy crumbs of coverage. 

19 hours ago, Dan said:

So, which is it? 1) Ester is an unusually talented athlete, Bo Jackson on snow, who can learn two separate disciplines at a WC/Olympic level,

1)It's not really two separate disciplines. More like: Same horse, different saddle.

If you put the emphasis on finding productive glide on both platforms, rather than trying to learn 'two separate disciplines', it's not particularly difficult to move back and forth from one situation to the other. 

19 hours ago, Dan said:

Cross-training ski and alpine snowboard has reproducible benefits for both disciplines?

2) Yes and no.

19 hours ago, Dan said:

Think we'll see any other skiers cross-training alpine snowboard?

3) Probably not. It's arguably easier to carve a powerful turn on a snowboard, but the subtle movements required for top level skiing aren't readily cultivated on the board, nor would they transfer directly.  In short: A ski is to the square, as the snowboard is to the rectangle.

Perhaps one of the better things that may come out of this (other than the obvious) is the idea that 'young' athletes can succeed with a diversity of experience, rather than relying on the typical narrow focus that too often leads to burn-out.

Edited by Beckmann AG

• 3 weeks later...