Note to New Members ×

Another TD3 Base Plate Crack!

barryj

Here is some close up shots .The inboard threads for the toe block may be the issue . Lowrider I think the same thing would happen to the heel piece if the base plate was rotated 180 degrees.

I read this thread when it was first posted & inspected  my base plates but found no visible fractures.

10 carving days later Im laying a  heelside carve, got a knee wobble ,looked down, and  my toe  block flew off! 

DSCN1467.JPG

DSCN1468.JPG

DSCN1469.JPG

DSCN1471.JPG

DSCN1472.JPG

DSCN1473.JPG

Too much lever, not enough fulcrum. As Lowrider points out, might not have happened at a different baseplate/stance angle.

This failure mode may be seen more frequently as the flex cycles add up over the entire production run. 

If you ride frequently, might be a good idea to get a cheap dye based crack detection kit.

(not an endorsement)

Nice pictures! Do you have a lot of runs/years on this set of bindings? I see heavy wear on the toe/heel blocks. 

Ok, I'm not a failure expert but I've been through many failure analysis reports in event reconstructions. Here's my best guess:

The shiny top area with the beach marks show the crack progression from near the bolt hole and the little ridge from the end lug pocket. So there likely was a crack hiding there when you last inspected but it was really hard to see. Cue Mr. Beckmann's video above. The rough/dull/fuzzy area along the bottom was the rapid overload failure at the end of the whole process. It always amazes me how parts can have so much cracked material and appear intact, and then the crack progresses 0.001" more and it just opens like a zipper. 

You can see where the beach marks converge to the top of the bolt hole and the ridge. Which means those points were where the cracks started.  I assume that the crack wouldn't start on the ridge in the larger section, as I can't imagine that being the highest-stress area. I think the crack started at both bolt holes and cracked through the smaller sections to the inner diameter. Then that raised the stresses in the larger section until cracks progressed through them too. 

So what does that mean? A visual inspection likely isn't enough. Crap. Sound like it's a good idea to do a yearly check of baseplates with a crack detection kit if you ride a lot on a set of bindings. 

I don't think this indicates that TD3 bindings are weak, just that they do have a finite life after all. If another set of bindings were on that board instead of TD3s, would they have lasted that long? I'd bet no. 

2 hours ago, Pat Donnelly said:

Zoom in on the bolt depression created in the base plate on the right side.  Looks like a stress riser to me or too long of a bolt?

5a888268683a8_DSCN1464(1).JPG.39fd646287

This is a good point! I'm picky (ok, anal) - I file down the bolts so they don't protrude through the baseplate where they could touch the cant ring. 

But, Nitro didn't use those holes. Maybe a previous owner or different binding setup?

Not just big riders. I have weighed 80-82 kilos throughout the time I rode my TD3s before the rear foot baseplate failed. I ride mondo 29 boots so have toe and heel pieces on the outermost screw holes. That would increase the leverage I'm able to generate against the inner ring held by the M8 screws.

^That 'bolt stamp'  on the left side in the photo may be partly an illusion cause by the upper contour of the base ring. As the upper plate flexed, the edge of the bolt hole was hammering over the edge in that area.

I'd suspect that if the toe/heel pad bolt holes were the size of those on the TD1, and the triangular lightening hole under the toe pad was eliminated, the issue might be mitigated.

Edited by Beckmann AG

My suspicion is that two factors are the main culprits anodization  of the aluminum .It creates a harder surface  unlike heat treating of a steel it does not penetrate very far and a duty cycle of repetitive  shock loading ( heavy rider ). A slight imperfection or scratch in the surface treatment could act like a scratch in glass that provides a starting point for failure.

This is the 3rd season of hard riding with this set of td3s . close to 150 days on this set. 

2 days prior to the above pics these binders were on top of my main whip , af plate /163 rev with bomber bp 3 degree cants . very rapid fire turning.

what you see in pics is the second board kit that stays mounted on the 185, there has never been a screw in that hole , its just a smudge.

We have a very high volcanic cinder dust content in the snow here at my local  area it really degrades the td3 Bling.

I have to say this is might be a "one size fits all " issue that affects the large footed rider..

I looked at my TD3s and there seem to be variations in hole placement for the toe/heel blocks. One pair is like Nitro's, inboard holes very close to the curved slot for the M8 bolts holding the base plate to the cant ring. The other pair has more space, so that a line joining the holes lies (just) behind the slot.

I've wondered for a while how much more it would cost to have the baseplate made out of some kind of alloy steel. Better failure mode, much longer time to fatigue.

I also wonder if the bindings were ridden (by anyone) with the toe block mounted closer in, so that the inboard holes were lined up with the edge of the toe block and basically right on the crease where the assembly was forced to flex (where the cant ring surface stops supporting it).

Edited by teach
clarity

Top outer edge of the bale cutaway  right side looks like old oxidation . Cracking started there and worked in ?  Would have felt like F2's part way through the day a little soft.  Doubtful it was around the threads as one would have expected it to break at the thinnest point. Were these parts baked or dried after plating ? Are all these failures toes side ?

Edited by lowrider

1 hour ago, teach said:

I've wondered for a while how much more it would cost to have the baseplate made out of some kind of alloy steel. Better failure mode, much longer time to fatigue.

Easier to go with 5/16 alu plate and relocate some of the 'features'. If it doesn't flex, it won't crack.

Besides, your tongue will stick to the steel in the cold.

• 11 months later...